• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Steeler's Fans

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they weren't going to use him then no use in retaining him.

True...I was agreeing with blunder, but imo it had more to do with him not playing much LY than PIT not retaining him...the only reason he was in PIT to begin with was the injury to Golson.

Good player, probably would still be in PHI if he just accepted his role...Mathieu is getting ready to cash in...as a top shelf inside defender.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...I was agreeing with blunder, but imo it had more to do with him not playing much LY than PIT not retaining him...the only reason he was in PIT to begin with was the injury to Golson.

Good player, probably would still be in PHI if he just accepted his role...Mathieu is getting ready to cash in...as a top shelf inside defender.

All this "not accepting his role" talk is crap. Chip never wanted him because he doesn't have the measurables Chip prefers in his players. The guys on the outside were terrible and Boykin was playing great inside. Why wouldn't he ask to play outside and think maybe the team would be better for it? It's not like he dogged it.

I meant the Steelers botched it last year. Not keeping him looks like the right move. Especially considering how they botched using him last year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this "not accepting his role" talk is crap. Chip never wanted him because he doesn't have the measurables Chip prefers in his players. The guys on the outside were terrible and Boykin was playing great inside. Why wouldn't he ask to play outside and think maybe the team would be better for it? It's not like he dogged it.

I meant the Steelers botched it last year. Not keeping him looks like the right move. Especially considering how they botched using him last year.

I've heard that about Chip wanting bigger CBs...you know that situation better than I do...when he came to PIT is when we started hearing the comments about wanting to play outside...I didn't even know Boykins prior to then.

PIT...they did...Blake made one or two plays early but stunk up the joint aside from the that...should've been pulled much sooner imo, but Tomlin is stubborn like that...there are some people supposedly close to the situation that said Boykins never looked good in practice...idk how much stock I put in that because he played well in the games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i guess he's not all that after all

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe these reports of him getting torched by AB and others in practice and not impressing Tomlin were true...if PIT and CAR...two teams very needy @ CB let him go...something gives.

Yeah i guess he's not all that after all

Seems strange given the time frame. There's no way that Rivera & Gettlemen (& whoever else in CAR FO) were able to gauge Boykin's talent in just 2 weeks or so of offseason conditioning practices in shorts. Seems like a mistake given how CB needy they appear to be.

But it's also worth noting how long he was on the FA market prior to getting signed. Something is clearly off with this guy. There's a lot to say about the NFL being a business, but it still doesn't add up. This guy has red flags all over him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems strange given the time frame. There's no way that Rivera & Gettlemen (& whoever else in CAR FO) were able to gauge Boykin's talent in just 2 weeks or so of offseason conditioning practices in shorts. Seems like a mistake given how CB needy they appear to be.

But it's also worth noting how long he was on the FA market prior to getting signed. Something is clearly off with this guy. There's a lot to say about the NFL being a business, but it still doesn't add up. This guy has red flags all over him.

It's gotta be something off the field, because like you said...CAR cannot have seen enough of him on the field to release him...locker room issues I presume.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers drafted CBs with their 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks. Apparently they just wanted Boykin as insurance.

Someone is going to get a defensive playmaker. Overall, yes, it's a bit puzzling.
But signing Shaq Richardson the very same day cancels that first thought. They still wanted a CB, but apparently Boykin wasn't the choice. I don't think Shaq Richardson has made it onto a final 53 roster yet and he's been cut by 3-4 different teams up til now.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But signing Shaq Richardson the very same day cancels that first thought. They still wanted a CB, but apparently Boykin wasn't the choice. I don't think Shaq Richardson has made it onto a final 53 roster yet and he's been cut by 3-4 different teams up til now.

Don't know much about Richardson, but it's possible he's an outside guy, while Boykin is an inside guy. Also with the drafting of Bradberry they may want to go with a more safety like 5th back, than a true slot cover guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about Richardson, but it's possible he's an outside guy, while Boykin is an inside guy. Also with the drafting of Bradberry they may want to go with a more safety like 5th back, than a true slot cover guy.
Good point. Still sort of puzzling considering the inexperience at the position on their roster.

Side note... What happened to Boykin wanting to be an outside CB? I thought that was one of the main reasons that he was shipped out of Philly? Guess he made his peace with that ordeal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're trying to bring a rational reason to an irrational move...CAR does not have good CBs now, outside/slot, nowhere...signing Shaq is proof they're needy...Boykin was a pretty good player in PHI, decent in PIT and both teams moved on from him...now this...something is up with this guy.

I heard on sportstalk yesterday about ATL picking him up...he'll land on his feet somewhere, but it's baffling.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Still sort of puzzling considering the inexperience at the position on their roster.

Side note... What happened to Boykin wanting to be an outside CB? I thought that was one of the main reasons that he was shipped out of Philly? Guess he made his peace with that ordeal.

I mean he believes he can cover on the outside. So far none of his coaches have put him there. Outside corners get paid more, so that make sense, but he's a great slot cover guy. I wouldn't move him and yeah he's probably made his peace with that. The other day he said "slotCBlivesmatter."

It's very likely someone will get great performance out of him for not much invested. Just wondering who the lucky team will be.