• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Steeler's Fans

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Carolina picked up Boykin to be a nickle CB. Why did he not have much playing time with yous guys last year?
Thanks

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll never get an accurate answer to this... Its all speculation. Some will say attitude, or work ethic, or locker room fit. But it all boils down to the coaches. I dunno what it was, but Mr. Boykin did not impress the coaches and FO enough to want to keep him or play him while we had him.

A strong case can be made that Tomlin was behind it. He has always had a tendency to play the vets, or more established players within the current system. Blake had been here for 3 years so he knew the system better than the newcomer Boykin. Blake got torched game after game and even played injured during a stretch, but still Boykin sat... Then once Boykin got his chance (week 13?) the secondary was instantly upgraded. Go figure.

It will be forever debated within Steeler Nation. But one things for sure, Carolina got themselves a great nickel CB.

Hope this helps!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To tack on to Face's comments.

Boykins made comments in Philly about wanting to play outside...for whatever reason, the staff felt differently, only played him in the slot...in a FA yr they decided to trade him to PIT who had just recently lost the 2nd rd pick (Golson)to a season ending injury in preseason. They were reportedly planning to give him snaps in the slot.

Steelers gave a 5th rd pick in trade.

As fans, we're thinking Boykins is going to see snaps at slot...the nickel pkg turned into Antown Blake (CB3) coming in and playing outside and Gay (CB1) to the slot...this is my opinion on this part...Blake made a few plays, 1 being a pick 6 and that endeared him to the staff...made him one of Tomlin's guys...as Face said...Blake got torched, game after game after game...the most targeted CB in the NFL and highest comp % against...still no Boykins...Steeler Nation couldn't figure out why Boykins wasn't playing...Blake battled thru some injuries, but kept getting the nod...it may have been week 13 I thought later, but injury and a really bad torching vs Seattle finally forces Tomlin's hand and the guy plays well.

The inner workings of why it took that long for him to get on the field...you'll never get a straight answer...he wasn't really a loud mouth in the media, but apparently something about him turned Tomlin off...idt think they made an offer. Bottomline...he's a 2nd week FA, I didn't see enough of him to say what he's going to do in CAR, but imo he was better than Blake who got the majority of the snaps.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll never get an accurate answer to this... Its all speculation. Some will say attitude, or work ethic, or locker room fit. But it all boils down to the coaches. I dunno what it was, but Mr. Boykin did not impress the coaches and FO enough to want to keep him or play him while we had him.

A strong case can be made that Tomlin was behind it. He has always had a tendency to play the vets, or more established players within the current system. Blake had been here for 3 years so he knew the system better than the newcomer Boykin. Blake got torched game after game and even played injured during a stretch, but still Boykin sat... Then once Boykin got his chance (week 13?) the secondary was instantly upgraded. Go figure.

It will be forever debated within Steeler Nation. But one things for sure, Carolina got themselves a great nickel CB.

Hope this helps!

Think it could have had something to do with contract year and possibly comp pick ???
I'm just speculating, but it sounds like they didn't feel like they needed him enough to pay real money for him or something...:2cents:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it could have had something to do with contract year and possibly comp pick ???
I'm just speculating, but it sounds like they didn't feel like they needed him enough to pay real money for him or something...:2cents:

Good point...the comp pick next yr had a lot to do with this...They obviously feel Golson is as good or better on a rookie contract....but the not playing LY part...still baffling.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was disproved around week 11 I believe. The trade clause stated that if he played more than 60% of PIT's defensive snaps then the 5th round pick is upgraded to a 4th rounder. That could have been a factor early on, but after 10-11 weeks they could have played him every snap from then on and it wouldn't have reached the 60% threshold.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was disproved around week 11 I believe. The trade clause stated that if he played more than 60% of PIT's defensive snaps then the 5th round pick is upgraded to a 4th rounder. That could have been a factor early on, but after 10-11 weeks they could have played him every snap from then on and it wouldn't have reached the 60% threshold.

Maybe he was talking about snap count, but I think his point was they knew they had a comp pick if they lost him and a replacement player.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he was talking about snap count, but I think his point was they knew they had a comp pick if they lost him and a replacement player.
You're probably right... I should have learned by now not to post early in the morning prior to drinking coffee lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right... I should have learned by now not to post early in the morning prior to drinking coffee lol

It is fairly early out there, but I'm an early riser anyway...hoping to change my hrs to get off an hr earlier...get an extra 18 on Friday during day light savings.

On that team with the pressure they can bring, Boykins should have a good year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fairly early out there, but I'm an early riser anyway...hoping to change my hrs to get off an hr earlier...get an extra 18 on Friday during day light savings.

On that team with the pressure they can bring, Boykins should have a good year.
6am starting time for work around here, sometimes earlier depending on site-travel plans. Luckily I get most Fridays through Sundays off.

Boykin will have a great year. He thrives in the nickel, and with (possibly) Norman on the outside & Kuechley/Davis on the inside, he should have plenty of safety help over the top. Not that he needs it.

I'm curious about some of the comments he made though. He said something like: "They knew I thrived in the nickel position" as to one of the reasons why it was a great fit for him in CAR. But from what we remember, he specifically wanted a shot on the outside. Not sure what changed with his mindset?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6am starting time for work around here, sometimes earlier depending on site-travel plans. Luckily I get most Fridays through Sundays off.

Boykin will have a great year. He thrives in the nickel, and with (possibly) Norman on the outside & Kuechley/Davis on the inside, he should have plenty of safety help over the top. Not that he needs it.

I'm curious about some of the comments he made though. He said something like: "They knew I thrived in the nickel position" as to one of the reasons why it was a great fit for him in CAR. But from what we remember, he specifically wanted a shot on the outside. Not sure what changed with his mindset?

Fri-Sun...that's great...currently 8-5 and I battle traffic both wayss...I'm shooting for bumping the office hrs to 7-4 and off @ 2 on Friday...we'll see.

Boykins...I think after the 1st week of FA went by and his agent was not getting many calls maybe they realized that the NFL looks at him as a slot CB and he better embrace it...lol

Falcons had an offer on the table too I hear...he can play, so that tells me that MT and staff feel pretty good about Golson.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fri-Sun...that's great...currently 8-5 and I battle traffic both wayss...I'm shooting for bumping the office hrs to 7-4 and off @ 2 on Friday...we'll see.

Boykins...I think after the 1st week of FA went by and his agent was not getting many calls maybe they realized that the NFL looks at him as a slot CB and he better embrace it...lol

Falcons had an offer on the table too I hear...he can play, so that tells me that MT and staff feel pretty good about Golson.
7am would be good. I like the 6am because my days end around 3-4pm and it gives me daylight to get more stuff done. Not that it matters this time of year with the daylight savings change. And I rarely deal with traffic that early, so thats a bonus.

Boykin... Good point. I heard he had around 4-6 offers on the table. KC, ATL, and others not named. Made me think his FA was only quiet because he was holding out for a contender, and didn't care about the money.

Golson... Did you hear about Tomlin's quote on him this offseason? Something about being really excited to have him in the lineup. Made me pretty happy to hear it. Especially since they weren't showing any interest in Boykin.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work 9 hr days (usually start around 7:30 but I work a Flex Schedule and can vary my start time) but get every other Friday off. My commute is now 15 minutes one way with little traffic. Before we moved last September the commute was over an hour each way.

With Golson coming off the injury I would've liked to see them keep Boykin as insurance especially with Blake being allowed to walk but what do I know.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers botched it. You guys will love Boykin. He'll kill it in the slot for you. He's a playmaker and as a part of that defense he'll make a lot of plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7am would be good. I like the 6am because my days end around 3-4pm and it gives me daylight to get more stuff done. Not that it matters this time of year with the daylight savings change. And I rarely deal with traffic that early, so thats a bonus.

Boykin... Good point. I heard he had around 4-6 offers on the table. KC, ATL, and others not named. Made me think his FA was only quiet because he was holding out for a contender, and didn't care about the money.

Golson... Did you hear about Tomlin's quote on him this offseason? Something about being really excited to have him in the lineup. Made me pretty happy to hear it. Especially since they weren't showing any interest in Boykin.

Yep...this is a 20-25 min drive if I leave at 6:30a..and head home @ 4p...as it is...45 mins ea way to drive 19 miles....the only bad part about this gig really.

Golson...yep, saw some comments about him getting plenty of mental reps and they have soph type expectations...at this point we have to hope they got it right with him after letting Boykins walk on a 1 yr deal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers botched it. You guys will love Boykin. He'll kill it in the slot for you. He's a playmaker and as a part of that defense he'll make a lot of plays.

I think so too...certainly his playing time...retaining him? time will tell, but they have a rookie from LY that was lost for the yr in preseason...they seem to like him a lot.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ouch !!!.....I remember those days, but I am a bit of a night owl now a days and the battle between the early bird and the night owl is usually won by the owl....Who who !!!!

Funny-Owl.jpg

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so too...certainly his playing time...retaining him? time will tell, but they have a rookie from LY that was lost for the yr in preseason...they seem to like him a lot.

If they weren't going to use him then no use in retaining him.