• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

hey NJCup

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly, Kovy's downfall(somewhat) has been magnified without question but perhaps justifiably so when you spend ages in the offseason trying to get teams to pay a ridiculous amount for your services which you can't deliver in the first half of your first season.

As far as Kovy goes i ain't gonna feel sorry for the guy sorry. He brought this(pressure, expectation) on himself, perhaps he never will be good under pressure, or maybe he'll kick into gear and play his ass off.

Who knows, while i think +/- is somewhat a dumb stat, Cup you look at it the wrong way. You say it's not kovy's fault. You don't know hockey(or any f'n team sport) if you think like that. That's CHILDISH. When your team allows a goal against you don't look to who's the guy to blame. You're a TEAM. If a team concedes they're all responsible.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything you said, but I refuse to let Kovy off the hook on defense. If he wants to play 22 minutes a game, fine, but he can't be a one trick pony.

of course not. every player should be kept accountable in the same manner.

as far as he goes, as far as the change goes, compare his plus minus under mac (yes considerably longer)

and look where its trending under lemaire.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lemaire should force Kovy playing-helping defense, even if it will result in Kovy's less ice time.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trend indicates he is

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
of course not. every player should be kept accountable in the same manner.

as far as he goes, as far as the change goes, compare his plus minus under mac (yes considerably longer)

and look where its trending under lemaire.

I think Kovy has been night and day the last week or so compared to earlier this year, but again, NJ_Cups opinion is that whenever the other team scores and Kovalchuk is on the ice, it's definitely not his fault.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh no i'm not backing that theory at all.

i'm just pointint the basis, and i really think we all know kovy is better than he's shown, and the past 2 weeks point to he'll be fine, as long as the organization doesn't go upside down liek it did in october until mid december

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong rko I have no problem with kovy and want to see him succeed.but like mc said you can't not hold him accountable for his play.The biggest difference in their play as of late is they are starting to play as a team again.whether it be lemaire taking over for jmac or langenbrunners departure its quite visable that there has been improvement.only real knock I gave on kovy is he doesn't always seem there and he lapses on defense .I also believe the team concept will lead to improving his level of play and start him on the way to being the kovy everyone expected.the main point I think everyone is trying to make here is unlike cups ideals kovy is not the team and shouldn't get a free pass for his mistakes.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't get me wrong rko I have no problem with kovy and want to see him succeed.but like mc said you can't not hold him accountable for his play.The biggest difference in their play as of late is they are starting to play as a team again.whether it be lemaire taking over for jmac or langenbrunners departure its quite visable that there has been improvement.only real knock I gave on kovy is he doesn't always seem there and he lapses on defense .I also believe the team concept will lead to improving his level of play and start him on the way to being the kovy everyone expected.the main point I think everyone is trying to make here is unlike cups ideals kovy is not the team and shouldn't get a free pass for his mistakes.

A 35G Kovy that back checks will help the Devils exponentially more than a 45G Kovy that's a liability. Let's hope what Lemaire teaches him for the rest of the season sticks longterm.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he's taking notes from zajac as well.Travis may not be the 45 goal scorer but he works very hard on both ends of the ice.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zajac is a very underrated player in my book.one of the things I was hoping for was kovy picking up some of his traits when they were playing together at the beginning of the year.like you said even if he didn't put up 45 goals kovy and the team would benefit greatly with him playing a more balanced game.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
again mc taking my words wrong. i realize its my fault i use run on sentences too much. you seem to mention that his gaa on the ice is 3.50 or something hes a minus 29 or something. all i did was prove to you that you cant really look at those stats and say hes bad defensive all the time. yeah hes not great at defense but sitll lets get real

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
again mc taking my words wrong. i realize its my fault i use run on sentences too much. you seem to mention that his gaa on the ice is 3.50 or something hes a minus 29 or something. all i did was prove to you that you cant really look at those stats and say hes bad defensive all the time. yeah hes not great at defense but sitll lets get real

You said he wasn't responsible for a - on a ply where he clearly didn't cover anyone defensively. It's a team game, and please realize that you didn't disprove anything by citing two examples over 45~ games so far. In fact, of the three examples you presented, 33% were incorrect. Furthermore, based off your logic, I'm sure a bunch of Kovalchuk's "+s" were probably on plays he didn't participate in.

Also, where did I say he's bad defensively all the time. I've said he's a liability.

Also, if you think that the teams GAA going from 2.5 to 3.5 when Kovalchuk steps on the ice is a minor thing, you're nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
exactly....this is why you cant trust +/- im sure a bunch of the +'s he has he might not have been part of the play. im a big believer in giving credit when due and giving blame when due

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly....this is why you cant trust +/- im sure a bunch of the +'s he has he might not have been part of the play. im a big believer in giving credit when due and giving blame when due

Except when it comes to Kovy

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your on the ice you should always be a part of the play see Travis zajac.that whole concept is a big part of what plus minus is.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my simplified take on Kovy. He has scoring ability to match any one in the league, but he cannot be the focal point. He has to be a part of something greater. If you put OV on the ice with no teammates, he would find a way to get through the other 5 guys and score once in a while. Kovy could never do that. But, if you give him an Elias to set him up and give him some space, he is dynamite. Just my $.02.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When your on the ice you should always be a part of the play see Travis zajac.that whole concept is a big part of what plus minus is.

in a perfect world yes. but its far from that it just happens sometimes your nto part of a play sometimes you are.