• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

hey NJCup

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm still waiting for you to explain what Kovalchuk has been doing well that you think is great?

And btw, I'm looking for something more than just the usual explanation of his great hustle and heart, which I already pointed out has led him to a team worse turnover differential of over -25.

And the usual deflection of the question by attacking, Elias, Tallinder, Greene, Zubrus, Arnott, Zajac, Clarkson, Rolston, Langenbrunner, MacLean, Lou, Brodeur, hedberg, Tedenby, JJ, A-train, Mair, Sestito, Fayne, Fraser, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, I'm pretty sure that your explanation that his -27 is actually a good thing because the stat is totally random and BS won't fly. Not even on the the old board.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team's what's holding Kovy back though!!!

LOL.you and I both know the team is what's elevating kovy play.as much as I cimplained about lemaire last year he's done a hell if a job getting this team to play together .can't say I don't wish they made a coaching change earlier but they are definitely more like the devils I'm used to.also think langs moving helped.but there was way to much emphasis on kovy and individual play early in the season.hockey is a team sport and playing as a team is vital to success .right now we have four lines contributing and its not the kovy show and the results are proof of your points you've been trying to make all year.also part of the reason I respect parise as an asset more the guy bleeds team

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL.you and I both know the team is what's elevating kovy play.as much as I cimplained about lemaire last year he's done a hell if a job getting this team to play together .can't say I don't wish they made a coaching change earlier but they are definitely more like the devils I'm used to.also think langs moving helped.but there was way to much emphasis on kovy and individual play early in the season.hockey is a team sport and playing as a team is vital to success .right now we have four lines contributing and its not the kovy show and the results are proof of your points you've been trying to make all year.also part of the reason I respect parise as an asset more the guy bleeds team

In our last 8 games played our three wins are the three games that Kovy has played the fewest minutes in.

Of course, I'm not going to say that we'll win a lot without Kovy producing, because we've already seen how that goes this season, but when you have production from everyone, things are a lot easier.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think having that production from everyone has also reflected in kovys play.I don't believe kovy is a bust its to early in his contract to make that assessment.I do think he will pick it up and benefit greatly when he gets a little more adjusted to the concept of team play.Also can't blame one player for this teams first half performance.and I do believe in plus minus as a valuable stat.like it or not its meant as a team stat and it shows accountability.Its more of a reflection of what your doing and how hard you are working with or without the puck.hockey is more than just scoring goals its allot of hard work and positioning .If you follow the game instead of just following the puck you can see why kovys plus minus is where it is.and incase I didn't say it thanks for the corsi number thread it wad very interesting.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hey there! i love threads made esp for me :)

well geeze you took so many answers away i dont know what choices CAN i say?

i like that hes leading the team in goal scoring and considering how bad the defense is i dont think his +/- of -17 is that bad (considering)

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey there! i love threads made esp for me :)

well geeze you took so many answers away i dont know what choices CAN i say?

i like that hes leading the team in goal scoring and considering how bad the defense is i dont think his +/- of -17 is that bad (considering)

Defense is a team game also you can't honestly think two defenceman are responsible for three forwards and two opposing dmen.that's where plus minus and backchecking forwards come in.you can score all the goals you want if your not being responsible on the defensive side your just giving them back

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i couldnt agree more wiht that. when players turn the puck over in their own zone or miss a player they deserve the minus. but when the defense is at fault and said player has NOTHING to do with the play just happens to be on the ice i dont think they deserve a minus

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i couldnt agree more wiht that. when players turn the puck over in their own zone or miss a player they deserve the minus. but when the defense is at fault and said player has NOTHING to do with the play just happens to be on the ice i dont think they deserve a minus

kovalchuk leads the league in turnovers.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theirs also other factors involved to defense when a forward neglects to keep his stick down block a pissing lane or clear a puck the forward is just as responsible .good defense starts with the forwards controlling the perimeter and works down to the dmen.everyone has their assignment you miss your assignment it hurts the team.and if your not playing as a team you all get a minus

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Theirs also other factors involved to defense when a forward neglects to keep his stick down block a pissing lane or clear a puck the forward is just as responsible .good defense starts with the forwards controlling the perimeter and works down to the dmen.everyone has their assignment you miss your assignment it hurts the team.and if your not playing as a team you all get a minus

I'd give you some rep, but it says I must spread the wealth more first!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give you some rep, but it says I must spread the wealth more first!

Only simpler way we could put it is if the devils win a game 1-0 and zubrus scored the lone goal does zubrus get the 2 points or the team.and I owe you rep as well

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
turnovers a turnover eh?

And when he is responsible for a turnover that leads to a goal that his teammates can't cover everyone takes responsibility and they all get a minus.falls back to teamwork and accountability.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's my post from the other thread. This is an example of a situation where NJ_Cup believes that Kovalchuk got an undeserved "-". If you watch the video you'll clearly notice Kovalchuk coasting through the zone not covering anyone. Guess what Ilya, when your the first forward back you're supposed to play defense!

Since your don't want to analyze your own example, here's the video:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,508&event=N.J28

Watch Ilya just crusing the ENTIRE WAY DOWN THE ICE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! At least Zubrus is trying to get into position and cover someone, but the subtleties of the game obviously escape you most of the time, since if a player is not scoring goals, he's useless in your eyes. You do realize it's Kovalchuks job to either cover the guy coming in wide, or prevent that pass that to the initial shooter from happening.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact is kovy has a had a bad year. but i do refuse to say he's a major problem or one of the main causes for the teams problems.

look at whats happening now.

the big problem was coaching and at this point, its almost undeniable. ALL the players suffered from that.

the teams gaining confidence and they guy has averaged over a ppg the past several games.

it is not soley on kovy, its not even mostly on kovy. the team was extremely poorly managed for most of this year, and shame on lou for not getting rid of mac earlier. it was painfully obvious he wasnt fit and/or ready for that job.

you can't single out a player when the entire team failed miserably for a vast majority of the season.

but even with the playoffs being nearly impossible i am once again excited about devils hockey. hope is real, we simply need to hope the coach next year, as this is just a favor of lemaires is someone who will be structured, but keep the players in the state of mind they are in now.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the fact is kovy has a had a bad year. but i do refuse to say he's a major problem or one of the main causes for the teams problems.

look at whats happening now.

the big problem was coaching and at this point, its almost undeniable. ALL the players suffered from that.

the teams gaining confidence and they guy has averaged over a ppg the past several games.

it is not soley on kovy, its not even mostly on kovy. the team was extremely poorly managed for most of this year, and shame on lou for not getting rid of mac earlier. it was painfully obvious he wasnt fit and/or ready for that job.

you can't single out a player when the entire team failed miserably for a vast majority of the season.

but even with the playoffs being nearly impossible i am once again excited about devils hockey. hope is real, we simply need to hope the coach next year, as this is just a favor of lemaires is someone who will be structured, but keep the players in the state of mind they are in now.

Agree with everything you said, but I refuse to let Kovy off the hook on defense. If he wants to play 22 minutes a game, fine, but he can't be a one trick pony.