• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here is my breakdown of the game

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about Seattle's secondary and their pass rush being so dominant and why they will win.

Here is how I see it.

Against the pass they play a Cover 3 "Zone" pass defensive scheme vs Spread Gun 11 Personnel, which Denver typically uses. It is one of the more basic defensive schemes in the field in the Cover 3 scheme, basically a high school defense in its simplicity.

Denver will use bunch formations and crossing routes to try and counter the press at the line.

The use this same basic defensive formation against the run and they will bring the strong safety Chancellor up to create an 8 man box against the run.

They will press the receiver off the LOS to disrupt their timing, but this defense relies on aggressiveness and trying to dominate physically. They want to intimidate their opponent and put pressure on the QB to disrupt his timing and not let him make his reads.

This has worked pretty well this year because of the talent in the Seattle secondary has been able to limit the production of a primary WR or a good pass catching TE like Jimmy Graham and you take away a passing games best weapon.

The problem I see the Seahawks having with Denver is the Broncos have ProBowl caliber weapons at EVERY skill position. WR, TE, RB they are not going to be able to double team every one of them.

Someone is getting open and Mannng will pick a zone cover scheme apart.

Denver's receivers are bigger, more athletic and more physical than most of the receivers the Seahawks DBs have faced this year. Even Welker is a threat for his size.

Seattle may limit some of what Denver does so well but there is no way they are shutting them down.

Denver can run as well as they pass. Moreno has almost the same production from scrimmage in yards and 1 less TD than Lynch, and add Montee Ball is a goal line threat.

The real key to this game is the LOS. Can Denver stop the Seattle running game and can Seattle get to Manning with a 4 man rush?

Seattle rotates the D line to keep them fresh but Mannign will limit their ability to substitute with the hurry up fast paced offense and Denver's O-line has been great at pass protection.

Denver also is statistically as good against the run as Seattle for the regular season (both tied at #7 in rushing Defense) and has been better in the post season than Seattle against very good RB (Matthews and Blount).

Whoever wins the battle of the trenches will be able to execute their game plan better and whoever protects the football, has the upper hand here.

If you break down all 3 phases, Denver has a much better QB and passing game.

Running games are basically even with Lynch the more dangerous back at the 2nd level but not the fastest or most dangerous in the open field like Moreno.

Run defense is even.

Pass defense an edge to Seattle but they have not faced as potent of a passing attack this yet.

Bottom line, can Denver stop Lynch which is what teh Seattle offensive game plan is dependent on and can Manning pick apart the Seattle secondary?

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add ST is about a wash. Both teams have very good kick return games, maybe a slight edge to Denver and Seattle has slightly better kick coverage.

Percy Harvin (or Pervy Harvin as Tom Nalen accidentally called him this week) is a bit of an unknown factor.

He can be dangerous in the open field and as a returner, but I don't know how effective he is with as little playing time as he has had and he is not 100%.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea, almost forgot-

1530567_10201483333981982_720366432_n.jpg

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add ST is about a wash. Both teams have very good kick return games, maybe a slight edge to Denver and Seattle has slightly better kick coverage.

Percy Harvin (or Pervy Harvin as Tom Nalen accidentally called him this week) is a bit of an unknown factor.

He can be dangerous in the open field and as a returner, but I don't know how effective he is with as little playing time as he has had and he is not 100%.

A lot has been said about Harvin being Seattle's X-Factor. Perhaps it's true. It's just as likely he'll be rusty and a non-factor in this game.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More VooDoo Doughnuts for the game.

1656035_10201572811145508_714563739_n.jpg

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the donuts and love your thoughts! I keep hearing Seattle players talk about how they aren't going to change anything up this week especially on defense as that is what has gotten them here. My thought is they are giving Peyton 2 weeks to watch tape and figure out where the weaknesses are. When the Saints played Peyton and beat him in the Super Bowl the way they did it was by having 2 plays called on every snap and when Peyton would shift his players around they would shift as well and bring in a whole new play. This confused Peyton some and caused him to make a couple of mistakes. I figured Seattle might try to do something similar but unless they are just blowing smoke by what they are saying they are just going to do what they have done all year. I understand why I just don't think it is very smart if that is what they do.

Pride cometh before the fall I guess.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints gameplan was far more complicated than that. They essentially had three different sets of plays planned out. They implemented one set for the first half, a second for the second half, and a third for the fourth quarter. And Manning still got up to the early lead and came close to coming back in the end.

It was unprecedented, and hasn't been done since. That's how extraordinary the defensive planning was. It was unreal, and could have just as easily confused the Saints defenders.

Carroll seems to take the opposite approach to defense. He keeps his schemes simple, and instead relies on superior execution. There's no way he could replicate what the Saints did. The squad just isn't used to that, and would likely concentrate more on remembering what to do rather than execution if they tried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Saints had Drew Brees at QB.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW.... you didn't forget to also make those pepper thingy's, right? :whistle:

LOL, yes, I made green chile, or Chile Verde as it is known to all the Vaqueros in the Southwest.

Speaking of which whatever happened to that old coot, MtnVaquero?

He had popped up on the pick'em thread we did this year and I think he posted here one time when we all first came over here from CBS, and not a word since.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't thought about MtnVaquero for a long time. That guy had a pretty hilarious take on things at times! Someone claiming to be Master Again posted on here once as well and then faded into the night. That's probably a good thing (correct, incorrect, duh).

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't thought about MtnVaquero for a long time. That guy had a pretty hilarious take on things at times! Someone claiming to be Master Again posted on here once as well and then faded into the night. That's probably a good thing (correct, incorrect, duh).

MtnVaquero was a pretty cool cat...

btw, they cut down on the mistakes and they can get right back in it. game ain't over yet...

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10: