• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hendrickson requests trade

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about another one year extension for $40 million, all guaranteed, with 20 million bonus spread out over the next two years so that last year is still only counting $20 million against the cap and it is not drowning us in heavy pay deep into his 30's?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are confusing the timing.... The timing was all about an agent trying to dangle opportunity in front of other teams that might want to make a draft-night deal with the Bengals. It's a hail mary, but a reasonable approach from an agent to get a new deal for his guy. But, it's a pretty flimsy case.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So start writing contracts as you are not allowed to demand trades, you are not allowed to sit out, you are not allowed to rock the boat when you are unhappy with your situation. You play the happy child at all times and we pay you what you are agreeing to on this sheet financially. Until that is in there, guys that outplay their contracts by a mile will demand compensation, and stars like Hendrickson should get it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about another one year extension for $40 million, all guaranteed, with 20 million bonus spread out over the next two years so that last year is still only counting $20 million against the cap and it is not drowning us in heavy pay deep into his 30's?
Nah baby, nah.

Hendrickson made his bed - and demanding a trade with 2 years left makes it even less likely that the Bengals will deal with him.

Bengals don't trade guys off demands, and to my knowledge - don't re-do contracts 1 year after they just re-did his contract because now he's unhappy again. That sets a really bad precedent.

Hendrickson is not getting an extension.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So start writing contracts as you are not allowed to demand trades, you are not allowed to sit out, you are not allowed to rock the boat when you are unhappy with your situation. You play the happy child at all times and we pay you what you are agreeing to on this sheet financially. Until that is in there, guys that outplay their contracts by a mile will demand compensation, and stars like Hendrickson should get it.
Nope.

He got his extension last year. Said he was happy. You don't get to try and cash in every year you have a great year, especially 1 year after you got the extension.

Do the Bengals get to re-negotiate again if he goes out there missed 9 games and has 5 sacks? No...they don't.

Hendrickson made his bed last year. Now he sleeps in it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are confusing the timing.... The timing was all about an agent trying to dangle opportunity in front of other teams that might want to make a draft-night deal with the Bengals. It's a hail mary, but a reasonable approach from an agent to get a new deal for his guy. But, it's a pretty flimsy case.
You would think after the draft would warrant more, because the Bengals didn't account for Hendrickson demanding a trade, so now you have a guy that could sit out, ruin your SB chances this year which is why you kept Higgins to begin with instead of trading him. Now you have your 3rd and 4th best players unhappy and potentially sitting out for the first 6 games of the season.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think after the draft would warrant more, because the Bengals didn't account for Hendrickson demanding a trade, so now you have a guy that could sit out, ruin your SB chances this year which is why you kept Higgins to begin with instead of trading him. Now you have your 3rd and 4th best players unhappy and potentially sitting out for the first 6 games of the season.
Hendrickson can't sit out.

He has 2 years...he would have to sit out 2 years, effectively ending his career.

0.0% chance he sits out.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying you guys aren't right with what is going to happen as far as management is concerned, I am just saying what they should do with a guy like Hendrickson.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with demanding a trade. You can sit out if you want to. A team can also refuse to trade you and they can fine you if you sit out. It's all in the CBA. You use leverage when you have it - Having two years left on a deal you signed last offseason isn't it.

By your logic, should teams get money back when their guaranteed deals don't produce results? Because DeShaun Watson aint earning his money in Cleveland. Russel Wilson didn't earn his money in Denver. Those teams will absorb the bill and move on. It's business.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendrickson can't sit out.

He has 2 years...he would have to sit out 2 years, effectively ending his career.

0.0% chance he sits out.
He can sit out so many games and then come back and play the last half of the year and allow that to count towards a full season. He will lose half his contract, but it will count as a full year of service in the leagues eyes.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying you guys aren't right with what is going to happen as far as management is concerned, I am just saying what they should do with a guy like Hendrickson.
Giving away deals because of past performance is not good business. Sometimes you move on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can sit out so many games and then come back and play the last half of the year and allow that to count towards a full season. He will lose half his contract, but it will count as a full year of service in the leagues eyes.
He'll have to do that for 2 years...

LOL - Not going to happen.

This is one of those instances where you have to stop thinking like a fan and really take a look at the situation from a step, or two, back.

Bengals are on the right side of this one.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but unlike when a player is tagged, the team can fine him for every day he misses. It adds up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with demanding a trade. You can sit out if you want to. A team can also refuse to trade you and they can fine you if you sit out. It's all in the CBA. You use leverage when you have it - Having two years left on a deal you signed last offseason isn't it.

By your logic, should teams get money back when their guaranteed deals don't produce results? Because DeShaun Watson aint earning his money in Cleveland. Russel Wilson didn't earn his money in Denver. Those teams will absorb the bill and move on. It's business.
Teams also get to keep making money on the printing press called the NFL. Players only have so many years of money making ability in this league.

Don't think I feel sorry for a millionaire not having more money over a billionaire pocketing the money. Both are still so much wealthier than me. I am just saying, I can see how a player like Hendrickson, who has proven himself to be a top 3 defensive end in the NFL shouldn't get his piece of the pie. I don't blame him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams also get to keep making money on the printing press called the NFL. Players only have so many years of money making ability in this league.

Don't think I feel sorry for a millionaire not having more money over a billionaire pocketing the money. Both are still so much wealthier than me. I am just saying, I can see how a player like Hendrickson, who has proven himself to be a top 3 defensive end in the NFL shouldn't get his piece of the pie. I don't blame him.
He got his crack at the pie last year.

He negotiated a deal.

You don't get to do this every year.

It's that simple. He got what he considered his piece of the pie. Now he has to eat it.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just letting Bengs know before draft day. Nice guy good to know. might change our approach.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree....But the players do have a say in this because they negotiate directly with the league whenever they redo the collective bargaining agreement. They get a fixed percentage of all of the growth the league has enjoyed. If they want to see more guaranteed deals, I think they need to continue to work to make sure that all teams can offer them. I still get conflicting info about how much liquidity is necessary for a guaranteed deal that pays three years from now..... If there are some terms that price out family business teams like the Bengals, it would be helpful for the players to push back on the owners about the policies. They would be accepting the risk that if the league goes bust, any moneys guaranteed in the future might not be honored, but that seems like an acceptable risk.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. the bengals don't have unlimited money.

my guess is the timing hoping some team would offer the bengals a first.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issues are multiple - but he just asked/got an extension last year - and was happy. 1 year later - he's not. In reality - I think this is a power play by the agent who sees the cap go up by more than expected and now wants more. Rumors are there are several other agents doing the same thing through the NFL, though not sure if they've all demanded a trade.

Bengals also don't look to sign guys for long(er) deals that take guys into their mid-30's. That's been the MO since Katie and Troy took over in 2020. They don't want big money tied up in aging guys. Sure, some play well - but the majority lose their value in their 30's, so it doesn't make since to tie up cap space/salary in guys like that. Hendrickson also has a pretty solid injury history to add to the 30's argument.

He's been a hell of a player for the Bengals, but whining about security when he got the extension he sought last year isn't going to endear him to many...

As always - demanding a trade from the Bengals is like talking to a brick wall. They simply don't trade guys. They can play or they can sit, and in most cases - the player is going to play and then the Bengals will allow them to walk into free-agency.

17.5 sacks in a season likely got his agent in his ear

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. the bengals don't have unlimited money.

my guess is the timing hoping some team would offer the bengals a first.

He is still in his prime at 29, but those expensive extension demands probably push that trade value down. Without those demands, they could've dealt him for a better return IMO.