• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hendrickson requests trade

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, the dude can pound sand. The Bengals gave him an above market contract for one year of production when they signed him as a FA. Then they gave the dude 13 million more than he was supposed to make last year in exchange for adding an additional year to his contract at his normal rate. And now that the money is spent he wants another deal?

If I'm Trey, I'm not holding my breath. The Bengals hold all the cards here. If the dude sits out, he's just a 30-year old that missed an entire season of football and left 15 million on the table.... Along with any bonus money he would have to contractually pay back.

In short - This is dumb.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, the dude can pound sand. The Bengals gave him an above market contract for one year of production when they signed him as a FA. Then they gave the dude 13 million more than he was supposed to make last year in exchange for adding an additional year to his contract at his normal rate. And now that the money is spent he wants another deal?

If I'm Trey, I'm not holding my breath. The Bengals hold all the cards here. If the dude sits out, he's just a 30-year old that missed an entire season of football and left 15 million on the table.... Along with any bonus money he would have to contractually pay back.

In short - This is dumb.

I'm giving him an extension. Give him 3 years more for $75 million and $40 million guaranteed.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless someone uses the draft as leverage, it doesn't help either side for him to scream about not being millionaire enough.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th rounder and we'll fill your coke machines for the next 2 years.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not asking for more this year, but an extension beyond this year, correct? Pretty negative towards him by Bengals fans?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not asking for more this year, but an extension beyond this year, correct? Pretty negative towards him by Bengals fans?
The issues are multiple - but he just asked/got an extension last year - and was happy. 1 year later - he's not. In reality - I think this is a power play by the agent who sees the cap go up by more than expected and now wants more. Rumors are there are several other agents doing the same thing through the NFL, though not sure if they've all demanded a trade.

Bengals also don't look to sign guys for long(er) deals that take guys into their mid-30's. That's been the MO since Katie and Troy took over in 2020. They don't want big money tied up in aging guys. Sure, some play well - but the majority lose their value in their 30's, so it doesn't make since to tie up cap space/salary in guys like that. Hendrickson also has a pretty solid injury history to add to the 30's argument.

He's been a hell of a player for the Bengals, but whining about security when he got the extension he sought last year isn't going to endear him to many...

As always - demanding a trade from the Bengals is like talking to a brick wall. They simply don't trade guys. They can play or they can sit, and in most cases - the player is going to play and then the Bengals will allow them to walk into free-agency.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. I think Hendrickson plays just fine into his 30's and I am not concerned about his injury history. You will not see Pittsburgh and Cleveland not negotiating with Watt and Garrett. Hendrickson is right there on par with those two guys and Nick Bosa. He deserves the big contract within reason, and I think 3 years / $75 million with $40 mill guaranteed is a reasonable number for the Bengals. Now if he is screaming for longer than 3 years and more than $25, well, you have to look at it with Chase on the horizon with his contract.

This for sure solidified Higgins won't be back next year though. Expenses on stars are going way up and Burrow's contract and Chase's contracts will start cutting the financial legs out from many on the team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. I think Hendrickson plays just fine into his 30's and I am not concerned about his injury history. You will not see Pittsburgh and Cleveland not negotiating with Watt and Garrett. Hendrickson is right there on par with those two guys and Nick Bosa. He deserves the big contract within reason, and I think 3 years / $75 million with $40 mill guaranteed is a reasonable number for the Bengals. Now if he is screaming for longer than 3 years and more than $25, well, you have to look at it with Chase on the horizon with his contract.

This for sure solidified Higgins won't be back next year though. Expenses on stars are going way up and Burrow's contract and Chase's contracts will start cutting the financial legs out from many on the team.
I think the draft will tell us more - but the Bengals are usually pretty staunch once a trade request comes out. That's usually the end of the line.

I do have concerns with the injury history - and I don't think it can be discounted.

Wouldn't be shocked if Hendrickson plays this year, balls out, and the Bengals decide to use the tag on him next year...no one else is really worth the tag...someone's likely to get it...might just be him.

But I don't blame the Bengals on this one.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't be so confident in that projection for Garrett or Watt. Garrett's deal is effectively done in 2027 - But the way Cleveland plays the cap, they will have over 50 million due to Garret in voidable years. So, you'll pay 50 million to your cap and another big deal to a guy that is 32? Not happening. Garrett will be in the hall of fame, but he is not seeing another monster deal. It's bad business.

As for the impact of this on the roster.... Higgins wasn't going to be back next year anyway unless it was on a second tag. And the Bengals are unwilling to pay 3rd deals to guys that are going to be past 30. It screwed them with Atkins and Dunlap and they aren't doing it again. They need to continue to build their D through the draft and smart picks for free agency.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the draft will tell us more - but the Bengals are usually pretty staunch once a trade request comes out. That's usually the end of the line.

I do have concerns with the injury history - and I don't think it can be discounted.

Wouldn't be shocked if Hendrickson plays this year, balls out, and the Bengals decide to use the tag on him next year...no one else is really worth the tag...someone's likely to get it...might just be him.

Since he has joined the Bengals, he is 3rd in the NFL in sacks, he is a force of nature. Him, Garrett and Watt are the premium defensive ends in this league with Bosa. Those three guys have their coin, Hendrickson is making $15 million with those guys making near $30 million. I understand Hendrickson's position and I don't blame him. Plus, with Higgins you are accounting for Chase. Who the F you accounting for after Hendrickson at DE?

He is making $15 million this year, and you tag another 3 years on to it which puts him CLOSER to what those other guys are making, but not as high.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don't have to tag him. He has two years left on his deal. He has absolutely no leverage but to say he is going to retire.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have to tag him. He has two years left on his deal. He has absolutely no leverage but to say he is going to retire.
So tear the current deal up, instead of two years left, you make it 3 years at the price I said. He gets more bang, we are not sinking high value dollars deep into the 30's and he is happy and we have him for 3 years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he has joined the Bengals, he is 3rd in the NFL in sacks, he is a force of nature. Him, Garrett and Watt are the premium defensive ends in this league with Bosa. Those three guys have their coin, Hendrickson is making $15 million with those guys making near $30 million. I understand Hendrickson's position and I don't blame him. Plus, with Higgins you are accounting for Chase. Who the F you accounting for after Hendrickson at DE?

He is making $15 million this year, and you tag another 3 years on to it which puts him CLOSER to what those other guys are making, but not as high.
Watt, Garrett and Bosa all became all-pro type players on their rookie deals. They cashed in as free agents. When the Bengals gave Hendrickson a 4 year, 60 million dollar deal, people cried about them overpaying a guy that had one good season and didn't have a top-end pedigree coming into the league. Hendrickson had 14 sacks in his first year with the Bengals, but was limited to 8 in his second year. Rather than playing out a third and having some leverage going into his 4th, he went back to the table to get a bonus and security of an extra year. The Bengals cut the deal even though he was banged up the year before and had 6 less sacks than he did the prior season. He balled out and now wants to revisit..... The Bengals have rights here too.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not disagreeing with you from a fan perspective.

He just signed an extension last year - he's not going to get paid more, and demanding a trade the day before the draft is probably one of the worst leverage plays he could have done.

He's got this year and next on his contract. Bengals don't typically go deep into the 30's. You can disagree, and that's fine - but much like the TE argument - until the Bengals actually do something that shows they are willing to go that direction - you have to assume they will stick with their MO - which is not extending guys into their mid-30's at big contracts.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tear the current deal up, instead of two years left, you make it 3 years at the price I said. He gets more bang, we are not sinking high value dollars deep into the 30's and he is happy and we have him for 3 years.
Not going to happen.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if he's happy. The Bengals have done right by him. He didn't bet on himself and now wants a do-over. There are other mouths to feed.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not negative, it's business. I don't understand why guys deserve lifetime achievement deals.... If the organization doesn't have value for a defensive end over 30, why would they extend him?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to happen.
But it should.

Besides Burrow and Chase, Hendrickson is the 3rd guy on this team you start with building your franchise. Tear it up, give him his money, he earned it and is being way underpaid at this point.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it should.

Besides Burrow and Chase, Hendrickson is the 3rd guy on this team you start with building your franchise. Tear it up, give him his money, he earned it and is being way underpaid at this point.
Correction - Hendrickson WAS a guy that you build upon. He was/is the cornerstone of the D from 2021-2025..... The years you have him signed. You don't plan 3 years into the future for a guy that likely won't be the same player when you get there. No incentive for the Bengals to do a deal right now. Build upon the next guys.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it should.

Why?

Bengals have him for 2 more years - and they simply do not extend into the mid30's.

I know YOU disagree, but I am only looking at this how the Bengals are going to, likely, react. They are not going to extend him - and if he was willing to do 1 more year - demanding a trade before the draft is probably one of the worst leverage plays you could make when you still have 2 years left on a contract.

He shouldn't have extended last year OR he should have asked for/negotiated some kind of extra year. He didn't. Said he was happy. Now he's not.

Meh. He'll be gone in 2 years - when his contract runs out.