• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Help me understand

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there isn't more pressure in a tie game. A tie game is anybody's game, if he allows a run you lose but it's not like we're expecting to win. A game where you're winning and need to close out is more pressure because the game is in the bag and if he make mistakes and blow the game it's all on him.

And what about the first phrase about the odds why don't you mention about that.

Mention what? That Koji gave up a run and got the save? It just shows why it's easier to get a save than to pitch a scoreless inning. If you're leading you can give up runs and it doesn't cost you the game. When schlosser gave up that run to the mets if it would've happened an inning later the braves could've won. Do you get that? The longer you go without giving up a run the better chance you have of winning. There's pressure in a tie game because if you give up a run you lose! If you give up a run in extra innings in a save situation it doesn't cost you the game, it's not nearly as bad because you've still got better than a fifty fifty chance at winning the game

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mention what? That Koji gave up a run and got the save? It just shows why it's easier to get a save than to pitch a scoreless inning. If you're leading you can give up runs and it doesn't cost you the game. When schlosser gave up that run to the mets if it would've happened an inning later the braves could've won. Do you get that? The longer you go without giving up a run the better chance you have of winning. There's pressure in a tie game because if you give up a run you lose! If you give up a run in extra innings in a save situation it doesn't cost you the game, it's not nearly as bad because you've still got better than a fifty fifty chance at winning the game

The odds dude, the percentages the mathematics. I said already the odd the Braves will score on the inning that they want to like the one after Kimbrel is used is not good. It's more likely they not score than score, and then you already lost your closer and wasted an inning from Schlosser.

You should follow every extra inning game this year, and see if when the road team choose the closer in the 9th whats the winning percentages compared to the ones when they save the closer.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds dude, the percentages the mathematics. I said already the odd the Braves will score on the inning that they want to like the one after Kimbrel is used is not good. It's more likely they not score than score, and then you already lost your closer and wasted an inning from Schlosser.

You should follow every extra inning game this year, and see if when the road team choose the closer in the 9th whats the winning percentages compared to the ones when they save the closer.

You are wrong about odds. The odds are the more innings you have to bat the better your odds of scoring get. Would you rather have one inning to score or seven? That's why you try to keep extending the game as long as possible rather than making it easier for the other team.

And you are right, managers will use their closers in ways that don't maximize their odds of winning, but that doesn't mean it increases their odds. I just showed you 9 games that had a team lose in extras because they pitched someone other than the best available pitcher and they lost before they could even get in the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong about odds. The odds are the more innings you have to bat the better your odds of scoring get. Would you rather have one inning to score or seven? That's why you try to keep extending the game as long as possible rather than making it easier for the other team.

And you are right, managers will use their closers in ways that don't maximize their odds of winning, but that doesn't mean it increases their odds. I just showed you 9 games that had a team lose in extras because they pitched someone other than the best available pitcher and they lost before they could even get in the game.

That's exactly what I'm saying the more innings to score the better the odds, you the one wanting to desperately use the closer to extend one inning when the odds are you won't score in that inning. Using the closer will only extend 1 inning and leave with even slimmer odds to win the game with him already used than if he had been saved.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I'm saying the more innings to score the better the odds, you the one wanting to desperately use the closer to extend one inning when the odds are you won't score in that inning. Using the closer will only extend 1 inning and leave with even slimmer odds to win the game with him already used than if he had been saved.

Why save the closer for the only inning in which you don't have to keep them from scoring?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why save the closer for the only inning in which you don't have to keep them from scoring?

Why send him to the 9th like it's the only inning they have to keep them from scoring, when it's better to think long term and realize games in extra innings ends way more often after the 10th then it does on the 10th.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why send him to the 9th like it's the only inning they have to keep them from scoring, when it's better to think long term and realize games in extra innings ends way more often after the 10th then it does on the 10th.

Because if you send him in the 9th it gaurantees a tenth instead of losing the game before he gets a chance to pitch. If you have the lead you can give up runs an win. So, bringing in your closer gives you batters at least one more at bat. If you bring in your long guy that's one less inning for your batters, assuming your bullpen gives up the run eventually.

Think like this, if avilan pitches two and then schlosser pitches three and he gives up a run in his third inning you lose. Your batters had 5 innings to try to score. If you would've brought in kimbrel first your batters would've had 6 innings (instead of 5) and that run he gives up in his third inning could be irrelevant because your batters had an extra inning to score.

The ninth isn't the only inning you have to keep them from scoring but you have to do your best to push back their run, it needs to come as late as possible. That's why you should throw the guys that give you the best chance of preventing runs

Sorry for the typos I'm on my phone