• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heinicke Starting QB Next Season

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if he wants to return as a player that's going to be problematic as a practical matter because he'll then become the highest paid backup in the league and likely prompting the team to cut/release him rather than having him on the bench at that cost.
I still don’t get why it’s problematic if you get NO relief with cutting him and are paying for him either way.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are paying either way, can’t see why we don’t just keep him as QB developer in the QB room. Play him when he’s as near healthy as possible, use the QB room as a bull pen, lol
I cannot recall any active player who simultaneously held an active position in coaching in modern times. There was once something like this in the NFL and I believe that the last time that it happened the job was held by George Blanda who was a QB, kicker and assistant coach of some sort. (Don't quote me on this, I'm relying on memory)

Anyway, I know that the NFLPA would object to such a move these days, insisting instead that any active player who is also an active coach must be paid two separate salaries or one renegotiated salary that included new money for the extra work.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot recall any active player who simultaneously held an active position in coaching in modern times. There was once something like this in the NFL and I believe that the last time that it happened the job was held by George Blanda who was a QB, kicker and assistant coach of some sort. (Don't quote me on this, I'm relying on memory)

Anyway, I know that the NFLPA would object to such a move these days, insisting instead that any active player who is also an active coach must be paid two separate salaries or one renegotiated salary that included new money for the extra work.
Seems like an exception here, given AS injury. That’s why you’d play him if he was near healthy.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When an NFL player retires, all of the dead money on their contract counts against the current year’s salary cap. As far as the salary cap goes, player retirement is treated the same as if a player were cut or traded by the team. Any non-dead money is forfeit upon retirement and does not count against the team’s cap, but the dead money remains.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any non-dead money is forfeit upon retirement and does not count against the team’s cap, but the dead money remains.
So that’s where the savings applies then? What is that savings? The 11 mill I’ve seen sometimes?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don’t get why it’s problematic if you get NO relief with cutting him and are paying for him either way.
There are differences between salary, cap hits and dead money that counts against the cap. He has a normal cap hit of 24.4 million this year (2021). Cutting him this year and they will absorb $10.8 million in dead cap for 2021 because his contract runs through 2022.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are right , the way to look at this , is what are we paying our qbs in tital . most teams pay the big salary to the starter and pay the BU's less , in our situation it will be reversed

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is problematic is getting a new qb in here because you also have DH's dead cap as well

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heinicke looked pretty good out there. I didn't see much big play ability but his ability to escape out of a collapsing pocket could drive DLmen nuts.

If he does win the starting job his agent better be on the phone with Heineken.

I'm not sure if the lack of big play ability is on Heiney or it's more a product of Turner's offense. But none of the Skins QBs this year displayed much when it came to going deep downfield. During the season the Skins only had 40 pass plays of 20+ yards, only 5 teams had less n 6 pass plays of 40+ yards, only 8 teams had less.

Perhaps the best indicator though it's more play calling than QBing is while Terry Mac led the team with 87 rec n avg 12.85 yards per catch. The #s 2, 3 n 4 pass catchers were RB JD McKissic, 80 rec @ 7.36 yd per catch, TE Logan Thomas 72 rec @ 9.31 yd per catch n RB Antonio Gibson 36 rec @ 6.86 yd per catch.

The Skins only had 3 players average double digit yards in catches n only 2 players average in the teens with WR Cam Sims 32 rec @ 14.91 yd per catch n WR Robert Foster 2 rec @ 18.50 yd per catch.

My bad. 4 players averaged double digits in yd per catch. I forgot about Tammerick Hemingway who had 1 rec for 10 yards.

Heiney did have a nice downfield pass to Sims on the Skins first series that Sims dropped and I. Wright dropped another well thrown ball by Heiney that could've been a big play.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you are right, Blanda was the last one in the NFL. in MLB, it was pete rose. And of course MJ did it with the Wizards for a short period

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if CDC retires or whatever just let him go and live his life sometimes the shadow isnt a good thing . allen and TH know the offense , and have taken their collective lumps . it would be time to let them leave the nest

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if the lack of big play ability is on Heiney or it's more a product of Turner's offense. But none of the Skins QBs this year displayed much when it came to going deep downfield. During the season the Skins only had 40 pass plays of 20+ yards, only 5 teams had less n 6 pass plays of 40+ yards, only 8 teams had less.

Perhaps the best indicator though it's more play calling than QBing is while Terry Mac led the team with 87 rec n avg 12.85 yards per catch. The #s 2, 3 n 4 pass catchers were RB JD McKissic, 80 rec @ 7.36 yd per catch, TE Logan Thomas 72 rec @ 9.31 yd per catch n RB Antonio Gibson 36 rec @ 6.86 yd per catch.

The Skins only had 3 players average double digit yards in catches n only 2 players average in the teens with WR Cam Sims 32 rec @ 14.91 yd per catch n WR Robert Foster 2 rec @ 18.50 yd per catch.

My bad. 4 players averaged double digits in yd per catch. I forgot about Tammerick Hemingway who had 1 rec for 10 yards.

Heiney did have a nice downfield pass to Sims on the Skins first series that Sims dropped and I. Wright dropped another well thrown ball by Heiney that could've been a big play.
TB was loading the box and bringing the heat last night. They were making Heinicke beat them. With a little more D and another catch or two that might have happened. He was not really getting time to seven step drop.

I had no issue with the offense and the way it was run last night. He was getting 10-15 yard chunks. Sometimes that is what it takes. With some upgrades it should improve. Haskins continually threw check downs. Smith too, he went downfield a bit before the calf injury but he too was limited.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB was loading the box and bringing the heat last night. They were making Heinicke beat them. With a little more D and another catch or two that might have happened. He was not really getting time to seven step drop.

I had no issue with the offense and the way it was run last night. He was getting 10-15 yard chunks. Sometimes that is what it takes. With some upgrades it should improve. Haskins continually threw check downs. Smith too, he went downfield a bit before the calf injury but he too was limited.
I have no complaints with the way Heiney played last night or really how the offense was called. Heiney at least far as last night goes, fared better than I think a healthy AS, Allen or Haskins would've against the same defense. @Manster7588 was questioning if he had any big play ability though. I was simply saying it might not be on Heiney, but more on Turner's offense given the way the season played out far as the Skins lack of big plays via the passing game.

Your point is valid though. Todd Bowles game plan was to stop the run and make Heiney beat the Bucs and their blitz. Heiney did a damn fine job imo. Would've been nice if Sims and Wright had caught those very catchable balls that they dropped early in the game.

The Skins offense definitely needs at least 1 more WR they can rely on and to take the heat off Terry Mac. A good running back wouldn't hurt either.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heinicke BALLED out, just not sure how durable he'd be over a regular season. I will say he made TB pay for trying to double Terry.
There are going to be a lot of options at QB this off-season, not sure if Rivera can duplicate the magic he had in FA again next year.
You gotta love where the team is headed though