• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heading into the playoff concerns

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
1. Grateful for the bye but after our last bye we laid a massive egg in Arizona. We are a much better team now though.
2. We can't run block. With rare exception, the bulk of our called run plays go for 0 to 2 yards. Too many second or third and longs. Hopefully Stewart will be back in some sort of healthy manner.
3. I was concerned about Cam trying too hard to be a pocket passer but he went back to scramble Cam mode Sunday. I feel better about that.
4. Still need more down the field pass plays to help open things up. Light a rocket in Ginn's ass and turn him loose with Smitty running a deep cross. Of course we need to pass block to give Cam time.

On a positive note our defense and special teams are playing at a very high level and seem to be improving.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need the bye week. A chance to get everyone back to 100%.

Our WR's were terrible against Atlanta. Shows how important Steve Smith really is to this team. Lafell was targeted 5 or 6 times and caught 0. Overall, our blocking could be better but that is something we'll have to address in the offseason. Chandler has done better than anyone could have expected but he's inconsistent. Remember, both of our projected starting guards are on IR.

Our D and ST are playing great but our O needs to get back into rhythm. Rivera cannot forget what it took for us to get this far and be Riverboat Ron. Take some chances and play to win. That's my real concern, that Rivera will go back to playing too conservative and that'll cost us games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler has done as good as anyone could have expected. i mean this is his first year playing O line.

my concern is Steve Smith, we need him healthy badly or our running game suffers. teams tend to play close to the line with us cause we throw short and run the majority of the time. our pass blocking is one result of that. Cam doesnt have time in the pocket to let deeper pass plays develop. our line needs to be addressed in the offseason. that said so does Wr cause Atlanta showed everyone that Smith makes our pass game go alot.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Grateful for the bye but after our last bye we laid a massive egg in Arizona. We are a much better team now though.
2. We can't run block. With rare exception, the bulk of our called run plays go for 0 to 2 yards. Too many second or third and longs. Hopefully Stewart will be back in some sort of healthy manner.
3. I was concerned about Cam trying too hard to be a pocket passer but he went back to scramble Cam mode Sunday. I feel better about that.
4. Still need more down the field pass plays to help open things up. Light a rocket in Ginn's ass and turn him loose with Smitty running a deep cross. Of course we need to pass block to give Cam time.

On a positive note our defense and special teams are playing at a very high level and seem to be improving.

2. Yeah, we're not opening holes too much - that's why we need bigger backs who can at least muscle out a couple here and there. There has been a familiar pattern to many of our games, though - running picks up in the 2nd half.

3. Panthers had to have some of those plays last week, and that's the sad truth. Lot of will-to-win by Cam Sunday. We'll probably need them going forward, as well.

4. I think we were looking down field a lot during the 1st half, but no one was open. Maybe early in the game, it might be a good idea to let CN throw some quick hitters to establish a rhythm, like Shula did in Q2 Sunday. Build some confidence, then start taking shots.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) We need the bye week. A chance to get everyone back to 100%.

(2) Our WR's were terrible against Atlanta. Shows how important Steve Smith really is to this team. Lafell was targeted 5 or 6 times and caught 0. Overall, our blocking could be better but that is something we'll have to address in the offseason. Chandler has done better than anyone could have expected but he's inconsistent. Remember, both of our projected starting guards are on IR.

Our D and ST are playing great but our O needs to get back into rhythm. Rivera cannot forget what it took for us to get this far and be Riverboat Ron. Take some chances and play to win. (3) That's my real concern, that Rivera will go back to playing too conservative and that'll cost us games.

(1) D should be really healthy coming into the game.
(2) This. If you watched the replays, they weren't getting any separation. Smitty can do it with both strength and speed, and CAR doesn't have a guy to replace that, right now (hopefully he gets some help in the draft, though, lol).
(3) It all worked out, but I wasn't a big fan of that last possession on O Sunday - you have a chance to close it out, you do so. I was having flashbacks to the game in ATL last year, but fortunately Nakamura wasn't out there Sunday, lol.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler has done as good as anyone could have expected. i mean this is his first year playing O line.

my concern is Steve Smith, we need him healthy badly or our running game suffers. teams tend to play close to the line with us cause we throw short and run the majority of the time. our pass blocking is one result of that. Cam doesnt have time in the pocket to let deeper pass plays develop. our line needs to be addressed in the offseason. that said so does Wr cause Atlanta showed everyone that Smith makes our pass game go alot.
I'm thinking CAR will take either a wideout, or an OT. The first couple of rounds have good depth at both positions. A guy like Jordan Matthews (Vandy) may even be available in the 2nd round.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking CAR will take either a wideout, or an OT. The first couple of rounds have good depth at both positions. A guy like Jordan Matthews (Vandy) may even be available in the 2nd round.

i am hoping by some miracl Evans our of texas a&m falls to us...

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am hoping by some miracle Evans our of texas a&m falls to us...

Not gonna happen, but he's def the closest thing to a Megatron type in the draft. Another wideout not to fall asleep on is Benjamin from FSU. Damn shame we didn't take one Alshon Jeffery, over Silatolu, when he was there.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand why olsen doesnt get 8-10 targets per game........

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because our offense is predicated to the WR not the TE...

right but you have a pass catching TE, Perhaps if you used him, the passing game would not struggle......otherwise why not just get a stud blocking TE

Also its not like the WR's are stepping up.......the talent isnt there

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right but you have a pass catching TE, Perhaps if you used him, the passing game would not struggle......otherwise why not just get a stud blocking TE

i know, but i also believe some of it is on Cam, he could throw it more to Olsen but it seems to me he prefers the wrs to the te...

he didnt throw to TE alot while he was in Auburn either....

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say it has more to do with our offense being a running offense. Olsen and Smith were tied for being targeted this year (109 times, about 6-7 times a game). Our leading rusher touches the ball almost twice as many times a game. Cam has gotten better at moving the ball around and finding his 2nd and 3rd option. So, while not WR is putting up huge numbers what they do is effective. That said, I will not be surprised if Carolina takes a WR in the first round of the draft.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically, Cam needs to do exactly what Cap did to the pack. He needs to be an active dual threat. Without caps 2 or 3 first downs ...the 49ers lose that game.

I don't think Cams arm alone is enough, but he does not need to run for a 100 yards either. Just enough to extend drives. Fantastic match up ... very underrated. God forbid anyone not talk about Peyton for 2 seconds.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say it has more to do with our offense being a running offense. Olsen and Smith were tied for being targeted this year (109 times, about 6-7 times a game). Our leading rusher touches the ball almost twice as many times a game. Cam has gotten better at moving the ball around and finding his 2nd and 3rd option. So, while not WR is putting up huge numbers what they do is effective. That said, I will not be surprised if Carolina takes a WR in the first round of the draft.

If you actually had legit wrs and an o-line,you`d be the team to pick for the SB.

Steve smith is over the hill and it really shows.ginn and laFell to me seem to never be able to catch a ball.
Olsen is your best reciever.....Thats not a good sign.
And it seems to me cam gets sacked an awful lot.Not 100% sure its cause he hangs on the ball to long.If the wrs can`t get open fast enough and the o-line can`t hold off the defenders or if it is just plain downright bad o-line play....
i watch you guys play every Sunday.Cam is my fave player and draft him 1st the last two years on my team,so i get to watch quite the few games.
he is a great player and I agree,he needs to run a little more than he does.it seems to me he is more effective that way...

Heres to beating the 9`ers this weekend.:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you actually had legit wrs and an o-line,you`d be the team to pick for the SB.

Steve smith is over the hill and it really shows.ginn and laFell to me seem to never be able to catch a ball.
Olsen is your best reciever.....Thats not a good sign.
And it seems to me cam gets sacked an awful lot.Not 100% sure its cause he hangs on the ball to long.If the wrs can`t get open fast enough and the o-line can`t hold off the defenders or if it is just plain downright bad o-line play....
i watch you guys play every Sunday.Cam is my fave player and draft him 1st the last two years on my team,so i get to watch quite the few games.
he is a great player and I agree,he needs to run a little more than he does.it seems to me he is more effective that way...

Heres to beating the 9`ers this weekend.:suds:

I have see a number of times were Cam does not move up into the pocket. He backs up right up into the ends who were pushed to the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line on the game still hasn't swung to 1 team. Looks like -1, pk and +1 for both teams.

From Person's blog:

While Smith and defensive tackle Colin Cole (calf) were limited Wednesday, running back Jonathan Stewart (knee), tight end Ben Hartsock (knee) and safety Quintin Mikell (thumb) practiced fully.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if used Stewert can give us something we havent had all season... we all know how hard he runs

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(1) Steve smith is over the hill and it really shows.ginn and laFell to me seem to never be able to catch a ball.
(2) Olsen is your best reciever.....Thats not a good sign.

(3)Heres to beating the 9`ers this weekend.:suds:

(1) It doesn't really show. He beats younger CBs every week, and sometimes makes fools of them. Google "Ice up, son". It is true that the doesn't have that many years left, but that's simple math.
(2) Olsen has been great, and probably would have been all-pro if there weren't guys like Davis and Graham in front of him. It is generally a good sign, when the ball is heading his way.
(3) You got that one, right. :suds:

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically, Cam needs to do exactly what Cap did to the pack. He needs to be an active dual threat. Without caps 2 or 3 first downs ...the 49ers lose that game.

I don't think Cams arm alone is enough, but he does not need to run for a 100 yards either. Just enough to extend drives. Fantastic match up ... very underrated. God forbid anyone not talk about Peyton for 2 seconds.

We do win more games win Cam runs (either options or designed plays) 6 times or more.