• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HE GONE

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna try the 4 - 0 - 1

I think if you get the right Dman and Goalie it could work

Just gotta get the puck 1 time and fling it...get like a 800lb guy blocking the net
It exists

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1-3-1 is defensive structure only, the Kings employed a 1-2-2 in the offensive zone. Way too passive considering the personnel they have, that's a Todd thing and rightfully why he was fired. The composition of the team, not his fault.

I almost feel bad for the guy but then I look at his track record and he's Terry W. Murray Hates Black People V 2.0 - great builder, horrible finisher.

I thought about Terry Murray the other day too. Dude was instrumental in making Kopitar the player he became. Amazing defensive structure as a team, just couldn't score to save their lives. Just nothing but 2-1 games every night. Sutter did great adjustments but he inherited a monster of a team. I feel like the potential is their for a McLlelan replacement to do the inverse. This team has some good offense in it, but they can't stop anyone. Right coach could really make a difference.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting you mention that, there is an article on TA that digs a little deeper into the Kings' defensive structure and how teams are storming not only right into the zone mostly on rush chances but they are carving up the middle and heading straight to the net for high danger chances. The Kings were ranked 3rd I believe until Dec 27 and now are ranked 28th, they are bleeding chances against and of the highest quality.

They theorize this has worn Talbot down because the defensive help is no longer there, plus you add in his age and wear and tear and it's no surprise he's getting lit up for 4+ goals frequently and hasn't won in 10 starts. Makes total sense to me.

So I agree, the next coach is going to inherit a talented team overall but one without the proper mix if players but hopefully can reinstall a defensive structure that works and protects the middle and shields the goalies considering they aren't elite (I think Rittich is the only one to actually steal a game this season, the Nashville one last week).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its extremely difficult to build a team start to finish from not much of anything. Some are good at developing, some at structure some at winning. If you never take the next step as a coach and make adjustments to set your guys up to win, then you are ultimately just blaming them for your lack of vision and that will only get worse. Guys like Todd after they fail ultimately believe its the players fault, not their own. The reality is, if he would have made any meaningful adjustments at all....he would still have a job and everyone would be talking about which players need to go and what types need to be brought in....i appreciate what guys like Terry Murray hates black people have done, but they cant get out of their own way.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on.

Look he wasn't a bad coach, he got the Kings back to respectability. But that isn't enough considering the money and resources that have been poured into this team - justifiable or not - and that isn't acceptable.

He's had some great talent around him in all his spots, including LA, but cannot get his teams over the hump. The continous refusal to adjust on the fly and in game management is a hallmark of his and ultimately again cost him his job as did his stubbornness. Again, the composition of this team is not his fault, his usage and deployment of those players absolutely is.

I'm sure he will land on his feet somewhere, probably another rebuilding team who is aware he probably has a 4 year shelf life and someone else will need to come in and get the job done.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more reads:

I'm curious if he will get an AC since he is now vacating that position or if he's going to go solo on this one. Some names linked to Hiller are DJ Smith and an unknown named Dan Price who Hiller has a very close relationship with going back to his coaching days in the WHL.

I've also read Stoll or Greene who are PT developmental coaches currently. Good guys but...no. We've had enough former Kings get into these positions and not have it work out.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grab someone whos never had a shot for all i care. As long as he can change wtf is going on currently. Even if he sucks at adjusting anything it will show where the Kings roster really is and hopefully give a chance to fix or address the issues before wasting next season.....

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco Strum is my guess

Wasn't he an interim at one point, after either Stevens or Desjardins? Or am I confusing myself because there's been so many coaches in barely 7 years?

If so, I recall him not being a good NHL coach although ultimately that is what he is looking for to advance his career, a HC position.

I'd honestly love someone who has zero connection to the franchise or current staff for obvious reasons but also for what K4OT stated - maybe someone with zero experience so they aren't tainted yet and can truly show what this team has in terms of talent and who needs to go and who needs to stay.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is DJ Smith (the outside assistant GM) a Blake friend? I see he played for AVs

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please no DJ Smith. I'd rather have Craig Berube or even Gallant over Smith

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im really not familiar with him....something he did in Tor?

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really not familiar with him....something he did in Tor?
No he was recently fired as the coach of the Sens. Pretty much the same coaching style as Todd. Both former assistants to Babcock.
I don't mind him as an assistant coach under Hiller for now but not as a full time head coach at any point.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Berube is what this team needs. No nonsense, in your face. That guy played tough as balls so there is zero excuse for low/no effort games.

The issue is he would have a short shelf life, very similar to Sutter in regards to eventually pissing off his players. But the way I look at it that's exactly who they need right now. They've been babied along for 4.5 years. They need someone who will drop the hammer.

Gallant, every team does better after he leaves. Not a bad coach but a lateral move compared to McLellan.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berube is what this team needs. No nonsense, in your face. That guy played tough as balls so there is zero excuse for low/no effort games.

The issue is he would have a short shelf life, very similar to Sutter in regards to eventually pissing off his players. But the way I look at it that's exactly who they need right now. They've been babied along for 4.5 years. They need someone who will drop the hammer.

Gallant, every team does better after he leaves. Not a bad coach but a lateral move compared to McLellan.

Considering Kings current window is now....got no issue with a butt kicker for a season or 2....then back to wtf are we gonna do now mode

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but take a second and look back at the last 7 years since Bowlby took over. Sure, the talent level increased but that's because he went trade happy or FA happy, it didn't happen organically. They have zero identity.

I think the Kings are already in WTF mode even though the players on this roster would indicate otherwise for the most part.

I think Berube would come in, establish himself as the alpha and get these guys into shape. Don't like it? Too effin bad. I fully believe that would wake these guys up.

However, none of the names available came here and Miller was promoted. Tells me three things:
- Uncle Phil is aware of Blake's blunders and wasn't about to let him make another one
- no permanent coach will be appointed until summer so in case someone else does take over they have time to instill their staff, their culture, their systems and their expectations
- none of the available names were going to latch onto a team almost 2/3 of the way through the season and risk their reputation

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry X...

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry X...

Yeah I'm actually ok with him as an assistant. I must of misread that he was being considered as a head coach earlier.
He was an edgy player and kind of had that same coaching style. Should be good fit as an assistant.

As for head coach moving forward should Hiller not work out long term, I still say Berube might work out. Although Berube is a tough coach he's not exactly Sutter. He was more of a players coach when he 1st took over in STL. Not really sure what happened there that led him to being fired but I don't think it was because he lost the room. Kind of like with the Kings. I don't think Todd lost the room or the players quit on him. It just didn't got to a point where he wasn't able to get the most out of the team in general.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith was a tough defender. Not a star, nothing, B4 defender. But he played hard, he played honest. Hope he brings that here.

Berube is my pick for sure as permanent HC. This team needs a kick in the ass and as you said, he relates to the players.

Read Blake's backtracking yesterday? Now it's "we're a team built to make the playoffs". It wasn't "we are a team built to go deep in the playoffs ". Pathetic based on what he has done with the roster. Capped out team "built to MAKE the playoffs ".

No matter what happens this season I hope this asshole is fired. I think he knows it too.