• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HBO Max and Discovery+ (Warner Bros. streaming services; formerly also HBO Now and DC Universe)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HBO to finally offer stand-alone streaming service | Inside TV | EW.com

Here it is, this is the game changer everyone has been waiting on. A mainstream channel bucks the trend of offering their shows in first run format without requiring a cable or satellite subscription. No word that I've seen about how much the service will cost, but it will start next year. The article did say they may start with requiring you to have internet service through a cable provider, but I'd assume as a Verizon Fios cable customer I'd have the ability to do this. I already have all their older shows through Amazon Prime, but this is bigger because others now will follow suit as they try to keep up.

Bad news for Netflix, great news for chord cutters

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love cable.

I can afford it and it's more convenient in a multi TV household without upgrading anything.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WarnerMedia, formerly Time Warner before its acquisition by AT&T, is the parent company of Warner Brothers Pictures, Cinemax, CNN, HBO, and DC Comics.

As WarnerMedia's rival Disney is doing with their Disney+ streaming service, WarnerMedia will also be launching a streaming service for their media library.

Variety
: "WarnerMedia Streaming Service Likely to Cost $16-$17 Monthly, Bundle HBO and Cinemax":

Variety said:
The AT&T-owned media company is looking to launch the still-unnamed WarnerMedia subscription VOD service at a price point of $16-$17 per month and is likely to bundle together HBO and Cinemax along with Warner Bros. TV shows and movies, according to a Wall Street Journal report citing anonymous sources.

Variety said:
That would make WarnerMedia's SVOD service slightly higher than the standalone HBO Now ($14.99 monthly), and pricier than Netflix's standard two-stream HD plan ($12.99), Showtime ($10.99) and Hulu's VOD packages ($5.99 with ads; $11.99 without) -- and more than double Disney Plus, slated for a Nov. 12 launch at an aggressive $6.99 per month price.

Deadline adds that:

Deadline said:
Like every other initiative, DC Universe is being reevaluated following the completion of AT&T acquisition of Time Warner as WarnerMedia has put an emphasis on the launch of a new streaming platform. There have been questions how DC Universe fits into those plans.

WarnerMedia is wondering whether it makes sense to have DC Universe even exist as a separate streaming service instead of just merging it into its upcoming WarnerMedia streaming service.

After all, Disney is planning to include its Marvel Comics properties in its main streaming service Disney+ (and possibly Hulu for the adult/mature Marvel properties) instead of having a separate Marvel Universe streaming service.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation with the streaming services seems familiar. Like the case with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Extended Universe, Disney has a well-planned long-term strategy.

Warner tries to play catch-up with improvised, haphazard ideas that aren't fully thought-out. Then, when those ideas launch badly, Warner panics, changes its strategy, and tries to copy what Disney does but can't execute as well.

That said, Warner will still be one of the two giants with the most valuable media properties. The other studios and streaming services with less impressive media libraries are probably in a more precarious position.

Last edited:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation with the streaming services seems familiar. Like the case with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Extended Universe, Disney has a well-planned long-term strategy.

Warner tries to play catch-up with improvised, haphazard ideas that aren't fully thought-out. Then, when those ideas launch badly, Warner panics, changes its strategy, and tries to copy what Disney does but can't execute as well.

That said, Warner will still be one of the two giants with the most valuable media properties. The other studios and streaming services with less impressive media libraries are probably in a more precarious position.

I see where it is tricky...

DC universe platform has some great extras for the comic book geeeks… Well more than a general service should give...

But the platform is only going to be bought by the hardcore comic book geeks, which would hurt their original shows...

What they probably should do is make all the TV shows and movies onto one platform, and then make an extra fee for everything else... But that can be very costly....

Honestly, all these platforms suck... I am happy I watch everything through a third party...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where it is tricky...

DC universe platform has some great extras for the comic book geeeks… Well more than a general service should give...

But the platform is only going to be bought by the hardcore comic book geeks, which would hurt their original shows...

What they probably should do is make all the TV shows and movies onto one platform, and then make an extra fee for everything else... But that can be very costly....

Honestly, all these platforms suck... I am happy I watch everything through a third party...

Yeah I like the dc universe but I won’t be crushed if I don’t get it again.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name just announced for WarnerMedia's new streaming service: HBO Max! Logo:

960x0.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Introductory video:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the price point is the same as they intended from the OP post a month ago, that's a pretty good deal. It's basically the cost of HBO right now + all the other stuff

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested in HBO Max solely for Friends and DC Universe. Some HBO shows also, but mainly Friends and DC Universe.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the price point is the same as they intended from the OP post a month ago, that's a pretty good deal. It's basically the cost of HBO right now + all the other stuff
That's what I'm thinking.

If this happens I'll probably bundle Disney with my Hulu, stick with HBO, keep Prime (really use it for free postage anyway) and drop Netflix.

Netflix is going to be the big loser and honestly if they and Apple TV want to stay/become relevant they may need to combine.

I really like Star Trek but I'm not going to pay for CBS streaming to get it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking.

If this happens I'll probably bundle Disney with my Hulu, stick with HBO, keep Prime (really use it for free postage anyway) and drop Netflix.

Netflix is going to be the big loser and honestly if they and Apple TV want to stay/become relevant they may need to combine.

I really like Star Trek but I'm not going to pay for CBS streaming to get it.

Netflix ain't going anywhere. Their subscriber number will go down just like most will with HBO Max and the Disney streaming service but they aren't in any trouble whatsoever. Apple TV is gonna go bye-bye here shortly and YouTube TV won't be far behind it.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netflix ain't going anywhere. Their subscriber number will go down just like most will with HBO Max and the Disney streaming service but they aren't in any trouble whatsoever. Apple TV is gonna go bye-bye here shortly and YouTube TV won't be far behind it.
Netflix spent 15 billion on content in 2019 and won't be cash positive until 2023 but only if they hit growth projections particularly internationally. Many on Wall Street aren't convinced that will happen and many are speculating that Disney+ will take market share from them especially as the Marvel and Disney movies/series roll off. Not to mention two of their most watched series "The Office" and "Friends" are already scheduled to roll off.

Netflix is very much vulnerable and their inability to stream Live TV and events is a huge detriment to their ability to recover. A stock for stock purchase by Apple makes a lot of sense and would fill holes in both portfolios. If they were able to do this and get in the market for sports rights landing a few big ones be it NFL or College football packages they could become a player very quickly. Apple has the cash to and unique cross over platforms to become a real player.

With people replacing cells phones at a much slower place and unlikelihood of another mega hit in the near future for Apple the logical play is content and streaming. Without legacy libraries original content and sports is their best bet.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple is laying the groundwork for an iPhone subscription

This article hit today and shows how Apple is going to find entry into the market for Apple TV and bundle it with hardware (iPhones). This is why the Netflix purchase or merger would make sense.

The streaming market is going to have 4 major players soon:

Apple
Disney
Amazon
Warner

At some point, everyone is going to have to piggyback onto one of those platforms as add ons. Right now that is Amazon's strength because they are actively selling everyone else pretty much. Disney is about to cut bait with Amazon and I'll be surprised if you can access Disney using a Firestick in the future.

Right now Live TV matters but at some point it is going to die and Sports Rights are going to become available and that is when this is going to get interesting and we will see who survives.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple is laying the groundwork for an iPhone subscription

This article hit today and shows how Apple is going to find entry into the market for Apple TV and bundle it with hardware (iPhones). This is why the Netflix purchase or merger would make sense.

The streaming market is going to have 4 major players soon:

Apple
Disney
Amazon
Warner

At some point, everyone is going to have to piggyback onto one of those platforms as add ons. Right now that is Amazon's strength because they are actively selling everyone else pretty much. Disney is about to cut bait with Amazon and I'll be surprised if you can access Disney using a Firestick in the future.

Right now Live TV matters but at some point it is going to die and Sports Rights are going to become available and that is when this is going to get interesting and we will see who survives.

sports rights will be sold to social media channels.