• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh flies coach to Indy

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke basically said at the combine that he'd like Alex back, but on our terms, not his.

It sounds like Baalke isn't as big of a fan of Alex as Harbaugh.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baalke basically said at the combine that he'd like Alex back, but on our terms, not his.

It sounds like Baalke isn't as big of a fan of Alex as Harbaugh.

Which gets back to the length and the size of the contract that they offer to Alex.
It was plain to see that Harbaugh had a big part in drafting Kap but Baalke was just as excited due to the change that Colin could bring to this offense. Here is a good video of Baalke describing what Kap can do. Listen to how excited he gets when talking about Kaepernicks ability to run. That to me is a big factor or can be when it comes to converting 3rd downs. With a full year now to work with this offense, I think you are going to see some new looks this year.

Quick links and video: Baalke and staff talk Kaepernick, Harbaugh and future of 49er football Saturday Nite Lites

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which gets back to the length and the size of the contract that they offer to Alex.
It was plain to see that Harbaugh had a big part in drafting Kap but Baalke was just as excited due to the change that Colin could bring to this offense. Here is a good video of Baalke describing what Kap can do. Listen to how excited he gets when talking about Kaepernicks ability to run. That to me is a big factor or can be when it comes to converting 3rd downs. With a full year now to work with this offense, I think you are going to see some new looks this year.

Quick links and video: Baalke and staff talk Kaepernick, Harbaugh and future of 49er football Saturday Nite Lites

Nice video.

He's talking about Kap being able to throw from different "foot platforms" and "arm angles". He said he's looking for guys who are able to throw off their back foot (arm strength) and for them to be able to ad-lib in the offense because rarely do things go perfectly or the way planned.

I think that right there speaks volumes on what he thinks of Kap/Alex.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Spot on. Does it sound like they are ready to change things up a little compared to what we saw last year?
He even mentioned some form of the pistol offense I believe.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did Alex Smith take a step forward, and what's the next step for Alex Smith?
Baalke: Jim (Harbaugh) is going to be up here in a little while. I think that's something that's a better question for Jim. But for my perspective, is comfort, really having a very good comfort level with what he was being asked to do. The things he was being asked to do really fit into his makeup and his skillset. And that's not different from any other player at any other position. When you ask them to do what they're capable of doing, you usually have successful results. When you're asking players to do what they can't do, you usually have unsuccessful situations. So that's all we're trying to do. We're trying to bring guys into a system because not every player fits every system. So we're trying to bring in players who fit our system, that are going to be able to do what we ask them to do physically on the field and mentally on the field. The more guys you can bring in who can do those things, the better chance you have of being successful.

I would have liked him to add that there are some things in which you can add to your skillset through practice and coaching (with the implied statement that there are some things that you cannot change) and that we are learning more and more about what players are capable of, but otherwise, his comments seem to be true. But this just comes from my aversion to the word 'can't' and my skepticism that anyone knows other's full capabilities. We know a lot about Alex Smith, but not everything. I think Harbaugh is the perfect person to get fully what Alex is capable of because I feel that he is practical but doesn't draw lines as sharply as some about his players' capabilities. He's not blind to Alex's faults but he's not stubborn enough to abandon effort to fix them. Plus, he extends this effort and attitude to everyone, which is why I'm optimistic about Kaep as well as Alex.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that Alex played well within the system that was set up for this team to succeed but I am not sure if this orginization is completely sold on him. He did an incredible job under the circumstances that were presented to him last year but it would not surprise me to see this team make a run at Peyton if he becomes a free agent. There are a boat load of threads that are dealing with this subject but I know that Harbaugh was smart enough to talk to Peyton when he was back in Indy and he is also smart enough to know what to say and what not to say regarding tampering charges. My feeling on this entire Peyton Manning issue has just as much to do with Kap as well. You have got to understand that there is a strong possibility that Peyton may not make it through the season and what would be your plan B? I have a ton of faith that Kap is going to do well under Harbaugh.

Absolutely, the organization is not sold on him, though I think they might be set to resign him at least for next year. I don't think anyone, outside a few vocal people here, are sold on him. Believe it or not, I'm not even sold on him, I'm just optimistic and glad that I don't have Harbaugh's job. He'll handle it fine.

I have a ton of faith in Kaep working well with Harbaugh at some point, though I'm not 100% sure about this year. I'm not 100% sure that Alex will improve either. I would go with Alex right now because I feel we are in no rush to get Kaep in and would like to see if Alex can improve (I think a non-regressed Alex > first year Kaep in 2012; first year 2013 not certain), though I don't share the doom and gloom that some have about rushing Kaep in. I think he'll do better in 2013 than he would in 2012, if both of those were his first year.

If we put him in this year, his 2013 season is likely better, too but a 2013 first year is likely smoother than 2012. Long term over short term if Alex can sufficiently produce would be a 2013 launch. But that's just my opinion, I think Kaep could surprise a lot of people and prove many right. This is ripe for hindsight QBing, as some would even foresight this, if Alex does regress, it would have been better to get the first year's headaches over with so that we would be better prepared for 2013. Short-term if Kaep comes in and struggles more than we expect, we'd have said what if he waited a year, we could have a better 2012with Alex and better 2013 with Kaep. I think by 2013 the disadvantage of being the first year would be minimal. He'd be for sure ready. I think seeing Alex start the year is best, with a moderate contract. This is assuming we don't get a healthy Manning, or a near healthy Manning with a good contract for other pieces.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Same old whiney bitch.

Look who shows up? Senor Psycho....Hey how's it that going over on the Giants board?

After reading your dribble over there it makes the garbage that you post over here look like the real art.
I have never seen a guy try so hard only to get hammered like a Zito fastball. How many different names have you tried now?

:ban: Keep trying....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your you calling me whiney? What a Hypocrite

I won't argue with you about him being whiney because that's your deal not mine, but that was a curious post to quote when you know he wasn't seriously calling him cheap for the money. If anything, complaining about you allegedly being a whiney bitch is a bit whiney.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I won't argue with you about him being whiney because that's your deal not mine, but that was a curious post to quote when you know he wasn't seriously calling him cheap for the money. If anything, complaining about you allegedly being a whiney bitch is a bit whiney.

To be honest with you, I don't read 90% of the stuff he posts so I would have know idea on how to interpret him nor do I even care.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spot on. Does it sound like they are ready to change things up a little compared to what we saw last year?
He even mentioned some form of the pistol offense I believe.

I think that depends on who the starting QB is. If Alex is back then I think we'll see a lot of the same conservative offense.

I'm only fine with Smith coming back if it's a 1-year deal.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Coffee has been a whiney little twit from way back. But you are correct, that is between him and me. No reason for you not to correspond with him if you enjoy it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit about Harbaugh's competitiveness:

The 49ers coach, who this season will face the team that brought him into the NFL to become their starting quarterback, once jumped in to cover kickoffs as a No. 1 draft choice for the Bears in 1987, figuring it was a way to get on the field rather than waiting his turn behind Jim McMahon and Mike Tomczak.

That idea lasted one kickoff and Harbaugh coming back to the bench looking out his helmet earhole, according to one former teammate.

About Peyton Manning:

Harbaugh was the Colts quarterback from 1994-97, after which he was replaced by a rookie. He’s OK with that, since the rookie was Peyton Manning.

“If you’re gonna be replaced by someone, that’s a pretty good one to be replaced by, isn’t it?” I kind of take some pride in that.”

CSN Chicago Article on Harbaugh

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Coffee has been a whiney little twit from way back. But you are correct, that is between him and me. No reason for you not to correspond with him if you enjoy it.

If that is how you refer to somebody who consistently called you out for your incoherent ramblings I can live with it.
I use to think that you just posted things for attention but after watching you try and infiltrate the Giants board , I have come to the understanding that you are a certifiable whack job. I have never seen such hate as those guys have for you.
I don’t care what you post and I don’t care anything about you. I do not response to any of the garbage you post and I would ask that you do not respond to anything that I post.
Got it? Now move on

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that depends on who the starting QB is. If Alex is back then I think we'll see a lot of the same conservative offense.

I'm only fine with Smith coming back if it's a 1-year deal.

I think this offseason may be more difficult for the 49ers then last year. They did what they had to last year considering the circumstances that surrounded them and did a great job. To me they had no choice but to bring back Smith and he played very well in the system that Harbaugh put into place.
The question then becomes was that really the system that Baalke and Harbaugh are set on running? I don’t know. To me you saw glimpses of what they may have wanted to do more of at times but Alex doesn’t have the same abilities as Kaep does. That bootleg against the Saints for the TD was a fantastic call and I think if Harbaugh would be inclined to run more plays like that with Kaep’s speed and abilities. You heard Baalke comparing him to Michael Vick on that video.
You and I are on the same page with Alex so I agree about the one year deal as well. Most likely that will be the course they take but if Manning does become available I can not see how this team doesn’t pursue him. I do know that Harbaugh opened the door in Indy and I don’t buy into the thought that they wouldn’t want him. If he is healthy he would be the biggest free agent ever available. If Harbaugh made it work with Alex , you better believe he would make it work with Peyton.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If that is how you refer to somebody who consistently called you out for your incoherent ramblings I can live with it.
I use to think that you just posted things for attention but after watching you try and infiltrate the Giants board , I have come to the understanding that you are a certifiable whack job. I have never seen such hate as those guys have for you.
I don’t care what you post and I don’t care anything about you. I do not response to any of the garbage you post and I would ask that you do not respond to anything that I post.
Got it? Now move on

Boo Hoo.