• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haralson to IR

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would sign Merriman for the vet minimum in a heartbeat.

He's only 28. He's got the size at 6'4" 265 (and that's not on roids).
He's got to have something left in the tank.

Also he'd be stupid not to come to the 49ers for the league minimum.
It's a chance to play on an elite defense again and showcase what he's got left.

I think it's a no brainer.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre Carter hasn't signed with anyone because he's still injured.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does anyone know what Haralson's injury is? That's a blow. I saw him playing a fairly big role this year.

I'd take a look at Poppinga or LaBoy of the experienced guys. Not a big fan of Merriman, but he's worth a look I guess. I'm not that high on Haggans, but at least he should be assignment sound and play the run fairly well.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, and the 49ers don't seem too interested in saying what his injury is... unless Haralson tweets what is wrong with him, we probably will never know.

Probably a torn muscle though, those tend to end seasons unless you're crazy like Ken Norton Jr and play through it.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love to have Carter as a situational pass rusher. I don't know why nobody's signed him yet.

He'd ave to rush from the LDE spot though. McDonald would play NT and JSmith RDE. Carter is useless as an OLB.

This is from Jeff Howe off twitter. He's from the Boston Globe. He posted it on August 22nd. He had a torn quad if somebody didn't know that. The Rams and Raiders have recently shown interest in him before this came out.

Word on Andre Carter is he still lacks burst and explosion. Not close to being ready to play.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what Haralson's injury is? That's a blow. I saw him playing a fairly big role this year.

I'd take a look at Poppinga or LaBoy of the experienced guys. Not a big fan of Merriman, but he's worth a look I guess. I'm not that high on Haggans, but at least he should be assignment sound and play the run fairly well.

I'm in the sae boat as you, I'm not high on Haggans either. I'm not a huge Merriman guy either but he's worth a look due to his experience in the 3-4. I like LaBoy though, I would take a look at him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that high on Haggans, but at least he should be assignment sound and play the run fairly well.

According to an article ChrisPozz posted Haggans had a lot of missed tackles over the last three years. Don't remember the number but top 10 in missed tackles. That didn't concern me before when I thought he was going to be the 4th OLB but now I'm worried.

Also what worries me is if Aldon isn't ready to be a full time starter what happens then? With PH we had a guy who could play 1st & 2nd downs if Aldon faltered but now I'm scared of what is going to happen.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why are the 49ers bringing in a guy who's 35 and also facing a possible 3 game DUI suspension? What if he gets slapped with the suspension then we are back to 2 OLBs.

49ers should stop screwing around and just sign Merriman!

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we can work it out as is but another injury definitely has the potential to be devastating to the OLB corps. Haggard was a starter, so as a reserve he should be fine. Can rotate Dobbs in as situational pass rusher - and we prob play a lot of nickel to start the season. Let's Haggan get situated and up to speed on our def philosophy. Johnson only had one preseason game after an injury so I doubt he has the coaches trust to replace Brooks/Smith if needed. If we go for a fourth I'd want LaBoy or Bahk-man - go white boy go!

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
PH played over Aldon because he was better against the run. Aldon Smith was working towards learning the OLB position this off season.

Since our first two games are against pass oriented teams we will be in Nickle the most of the game. As long as Aldon is ready to go, and barring injury i don't think it will make much of a difference in the first couple of weeks. Hopefully Haggans can get up to speed quickly.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will the Niners add OLBs?
1:05PM ET
San Francisco 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers are heading toward the start of the 2012 season with just three OLBs on the active roster, following the decision to add veteran Clark Haggans in free agency and put Parys Haralson on the season-ending IR. (Click here for our post on Haggans' early role). That seems like they're leaving themselves somewhat vulnerable at the position, especially considering that starter Aldon Smith has been banged up this preseason, and Haggans may be facing a league suspension. However, given their early schedule, perhaps it won't be that big of a problem, as Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee explains:

"The 49ers will be playing two pass-oriented offenses over the first two weeks: Green Bay and Detroit. That means they likely will be in their nickel formation for much of those games. In those instances, Demarcus Dobbs would be able to fill in as an extra pass rusher if there were more injuries at outside linebacker or if the 49ers wanted to give one of their linebackers a rest."

If the Niners do wish to target some help at the position, the FA market isn't exactly brimming with experienced options at the position. Nevertheless, this could be an avenue they explore in the near future.

- Tim Kavanagh​

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lynch is on KNBR talking about Haralson's ability to set the ege vs the run. Hopefully Aldon has improved enough!