• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guerin signs tryout deal with FLyers

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rolleyes: :L

TSN:

Veteran right winger Bill Guerin has agreed to a tryout with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Guerin, who will turn 40 in November, took part in an informal workout with the Flyers on September 1 and scrimmaged with 30 other Flyers players last week.

"Right now I'm just kind of skating and being around the guys," Guerin told the Courier-Post after a 50-minute scrimmage Thursday. "This is a team I would definitely like to play for, but we'll see."

Guerin was released from the Pittsburgh Penguins on August 27th when the club decided not to bring him back for the 2010-11 season. He recorded 21 goals and 24 assists in 78 games and four goals and nine points in 11 playoff contests last season.

The 17-year veteran has won two Stanley Cups and played in 1,263 games, totaling 856 points (429G, 427A) with a career plus/minus of 51.

The Flyers are coming off a season where they won the Eastern Conference title, and made it to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dump Shitty, move Carbomb back to the 4th line energy role, Guerin fits in nicely on the 3rd line with Richards and Giroux. That's 2 RW and a C, but if neither Giroux or Guerin can adjust to playing the off wing (unlikely), Richards has experience on the LW from the Olympics and Giroux can center the line.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provided we work him out thoroughly and he can pass a physical, I'd love to sign him to a deal. I think he can bring a large presence in front of the net that we haven't had since we let Knubs go.

Yes, he has lost a step, and likely won't be able to keep up with the young bucks -- but he can still be productive in the right situations.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
still undecided on whether or not i like this move. i guess he does bring valuable assets to the table..i just feel like they are assets we really dont need any more of..and id like to see the team we currently have go out on the ice. but at the same time, he pushes carcillo or powe out of the top 9, and essentially you have the potential for 9 20 goal scorers..which is pretty sick.

i guess guerin would fit into richie and girouxs line?

assuming that the organization sticks to the lines they have planned

JVR carter zherdev
hartnell briere leino
guerin richards giroux
carcillo/powe/shelly betts lappy

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think his veteran experience would help this team. I believe he can be a 3rd line player and get 20 goals. That is probably double the production from last year. I would like a Jvr - Giroux - Guerin line. Guerin would add toughnees to that line that Asham forgot about in the playoffs.:rolleyes:

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WOot, how could you not prefer a guy who used to be the fastest skater in the league, is a CLubhouse guy, scored 23 goals last year, is still a PP guy, and wants to be here over SHelley, Carcillo, and maybe even Powe.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WOot, how could you not prefer a guy who used to be the fastest skater in the league, is a CLubhouse guy, scored 23 goals last year, is still a PP guy, and wants to be here over SHelley, Carcillo, and maybe even Powe.

when you put it that way..im sold. haha

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

when you put it that way..im sold. haha

*nods emphatically

i still wanna see a hartnell.richards.carcillo line though.. that line would be sweet :cool:

flyermaniaa90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
getting Guerin for the basement price is a good move...like knuble is some ways he can produce and bring stanley cup leadership...if he can play...pull the trigger...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting Guerin for the basement price is a good move...like knuble is some ways he can produce and bring stanley cup leadership...if he can play...pull the trigger...

I thought that Guerin looked pretty good out there very composed and is awesome at shielding the puck when going to the net. He probably has at least one more good season in him and would definitely add some leadership in the dressing room. I like Carcillo but he may end up being the odd man out as I can't see them moving Lappy, Powe or Shelley. If anything they should be able to get a draft pick back....

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Guerin looked pretty good out there very composed and is awesome at shielding the puck when going to the net. He probably has at least one more good season in him and would definitely add some leadership in the dressing room. I like Carcillo but he may end up being the odd man out as I can't see them moving Lappy, Powe or Shelley. If anything they should be able to get a draft pick back....

Jury is out for me on Guerin.:confused: I didn't notice anything too good or too bad. He does seem to have that great hockey sense and knows what to do and when to do it with out panic. I know I would feel a little better at the end of a 1 goal game with him on the ice. :D

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up bitches?
How 'bout them flyboys?

It's possible, though unlikely, that they could move Powe back to Adirondack -- but I'd have to think they can't keep playing that game with him. I don't think it'd be a huge loss if Carbomb was the guy that had to go for Guerin to sign.

Jury is out for me on Guerin.:confused: I didn't notice anything too good or too bad. He does seem to have that great hockey sense and knows what to do and when to do it with out panic. I know I would feel a little better at the end of a 1 goal game with him on the ice. :D

Bingo. He definitely still has enough left in the tank for one last run.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What up soulx? How ya been?

The usual. Kicking ass and taking names back at the swamp -- waiting for hockey season. 2 weeks...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after 2 preseason games i see absolutely nothing that would warrant giving him a contract.. all he's done is turn the puck over and been gifted a goal by the orbit of the earth.. his goal was the most ridiculous bounce i've ever seen in hockey.. off a skate, into the air, off another skate, then off a turning d-man's stick into the net..

i'd much rather see powe, carcillo, nodl, or even holmstrom out there instead of him

as a side note, carter and jvr do look good together