• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gruden not going anywhere

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blog from Bengals.com

You might have also read this recent story in the Orlando Sentinel that makes the case that the Miami Dolphins or Jacksonville Jaguars should hire Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden to be their new head coach.

I asked Jay for his reaction to the article.

“I’ve told people this and they probably think that I’m lying, but I’ve never really looked beyond where I’m at right now,” Coach Gruden said. “I’m happy where I am and my only focus is to put these guys into position to make plays. Whatever happens 5, 6, 10 years down the road happens, and there’s no way that I’m ready to be a head coach right now. He’s been an Orlando writer for a long time and it was a nice article, but it’s very, very far-fetched.

“This is a fun group to coach and I’m not looking to go anywhere else. It’s not very often that you get a guy to work with like Andy Dalton and a receiver to work with like A.J. Green. We have a good, young offensive line that’s playing pretty well together and the sky is the limit for this team. Down the road – maybe – but right now, I’m definitely looking forward to watching these guys grow up as players and as men.”

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, as a rule, I don't really believe what somebody says. Obviously, he's not just going to say, yep, I'm outta here on the first thing moving. But in this case, I don't think he'll be offered a HC job quite yet.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like we're scoring on every other drive Green Bay Packer style, or like the Colts and Saints were on their near undefeated super bowl drives.

We've benefited from a 4-12 teams schedule and made the most of it pretty much. Would have liked to have that Denver loss back, but heck, Tim Tebow played wide receiver, so it was pretty much destiny, and if there's one thing the football God's won't do, it's get in the way of a made for hallmark channel t.v. special in the making.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously just being humble - If an offer DID come, he'd be silly not to take it. And I'm sure he would take it and be gone. He wants to be a HC.

I don't think it's in the cards for him this offseason, but it will be very soon. If this offense upgrades the interior line and running back position and the current young players keep progressing, it's not far fetched to believe they could have a top 10 offense in a couple of years.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously just being humble - If an offer DID come, he'd be silly not to take it. And I'm sure he would take it and be gone. He wants to be a HC.

I don't think it's in the cards for him this offseason, but it will be very soon. If this offense upgrades the interior line and running back position and the current young players keep progressing, it's not far fetched to believe they could have a top 10 offense in a couple of years.

Hell, top 10 next season. If they add a RB thru FA...

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and there’s no way that I’m ready to be a head coach right now.

I believe him when he says this, so I think he would be willing to stay put for a few seasons even if a HC job was offered to ensure he is truely ready for that position, not just because his offense has done decent.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Only a homer could take it any other way than how grad put it:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure, but flaming and cincy seem to be talking in the context of the next few years, although flaming only quoted people to be fair.

you're just talking about this year I think.

In any case, My feeling is we need to make the playoffs before he should be considered an immediate head coaching candidate. I don't think he would leave us for a hapless mess of a team this off-season, but perhaps a good organization (if colts decide to change coaches, perhaps) but I don't think that is likely.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in regards to cincygrad's post, that is perhaps true, but, I don't think he would leave us for ANY head coaching position. He's in a good situation now, there's no reason for him to set himself up for failure, which is pretty much kinda sorta what he's saying in the interview.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys.... Since when is being a coordinator for the Bengals a better position than any of the other 31 team's head coaching jobs. Do you guys really believe this? The following jobs will possibly be available next season -- Miami, San Diego (if they fall apart), Indy, Jacksonville, St. Louis, and Arizona (big maybe here). Do you guys really believe Gruden would rather be a coordinator here than the head man at any of these positions. And if you do believe that, could you please stop hanging out at Jerome Simpson's house?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- People set themselves up for failure all the time. Good coordinators often leave to take over bad franchises.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only way I could see any OC/DC turn down a HC position is:

1) if they have another HC job lined up
2) if they aren't getting enough control over personnel decisions or enough input in an already bad organization - Bengals may be the only team that fits here (though I don't believe it's ever happened anyways)

There are (give or take a few) 64 coordinators in the league. The opportunity rarely comes arounds, and not usually more than once. Considering they likely already have big egos ("my way is the best"), I don't think "failing" is even in the back of their minds as a possibility. If it is, then they probably don't belong anyways.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys.... Since when is being a coordinator for the Bengals a better position than any of the other 31 team's head coaching jobs. Do you guys really believe this? The following jobs will possibly be available next season -- Miami, San Diego (if they fall apart), Indy, Jacksonville, St. Louis, and Arizona (big maybe here). Do you guys really believe Gruden would rather be a coordinator here than the head man at any of these positions. And if you do believe that, could you please stop hanging out at Jerome Simpson's house?

Not sure Zimmer was offered a HC job interview anywhere, but he signed a 3 year deal to stay here before he took many interviews.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Gruden continues to do a nice job with this offense, then he will have many opportunities down the road, and he will be better prepared for how the NFL works versus the AFL.

He is a pretty down to earth guy. He turned down OC jobs before to stay where he was because of his family. He just finally uprooted his family to come here, I don't think he is in a hurry to leave yet. 3 years down the road, maybe, but not in the next 1 or 2 seasons regardless of offers.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, one season is too soon. too fast.

and "bro", Jerome is the best, don't knock it until you try it "man"
:hippie:

side note:
hmm... I wonder why Bratkowski didn't get a head coaching job at the peak of our offense? lol. yea, I know, he sucks, it's irrelevant, but it cracks me

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think if Gruden continues to do a nice job with this offense, then he will have many opportunities down the road, and he will be better prepared for how the NFL works versus the AFL.

He is a pretty down to earth guy. He turned down OC jobs before to stay where he was because of his family. He just finally uprooted his family to come here, I don't think he is in a hurry to leave yet. 3 years down the road, maybe, but not in the next 1 or 2 seasons regardless of offers.

It wasn't because he didn't just want to uproot his family. He didn't want to leave Orlando. But when he had no choice but to leave Orlando, then he made the move to the NFL. Now that he's out of Orlando, there's nothing keeping him here in Cincinnati.

He was on Tampa Bay's offensive squad as some kind of coach while his brother was their HC. He has all the experience he needs.