• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gronk's Arm Still A Potential Nightmare?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone watched the Frontline program about CTE and concussion related dementia in NFL players, you would have seen the kind of doctor Parcells hired when he was at the Jets. The guy was a concussion denier to put it bluntly and thought it didn't matter if a player went back into the same game after suffering one. IMO, that type of "get him on the field" approach is what Belichick grew up with in the NFL and was partly to blame for trying to find a way to hurry Gronk back before he was ready last year. Gronk wanted to play but the team and medical professionals need to stop players with that mindset if they're truly not ready and he obviously was not.

The problem forearm could still be weakened according to WEEI

...However, Gronkowski did not make his debut on Sept. 22, and has yet to step on the field for his first snap of game action. The reason: concern over the stability of his surgically repaired left forearm after a procedure performed by Patriots doctor Tom Gill. While it is common practice for team doctors to perform on their own athletes, the Gronkowski family became concerned after repeated surgeries to treat infections in the area of an implement, or device, that was placed in the forearm to expedite the healing process. WEEI.com has learned from multiple industry sources that the arm, injured initially on Nov. 18, 2012, against the Colts, might have healed properly on its own with no surgery necessary. But the team and Gronkowski, perhaps looking to hasten his return to the field, decided upon surgery to use an implement in hopes he would be ready for the playoffs. One source with knowledge of the initial forearm surgery told WEEI.com Thursday night that there is “serious concern” about the integrity of the bone where the implement was placed and the surrounding nerves. The source indicated that if the bone had healed on its own without an implement, there might have been no infection. However, there now are concerns that an abscess developed, causing infection and likely weakening the bone. This prompted three more surgeries in the offseason on the forearm, separate from the procedure on his back.

The Frontline program really exposed the NFL as a morally corrupt entity similar to big tobacco companies until too much information was leaked and the medical info became undeniable. Still, despite a settlement with players in the amount of $765 mil, the NFL admitted no guilt and it was seen as a "victory" for the league.

That program actually made me feel like I don't even want to watch the game anymore because it's just a modern vesion of the Gladiators battling each other in ancient Rome. There's an element of mental and moral degradation in it and I don't feel like being part of it.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will the adminstrators give us the ability to edit typos in titles???

Potentail? Potential.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I like a little potent tail now and again.

I repeat, expecting Gronk to save this crappy offense is just a dream at this point.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't play a snap this season. This is getting insane. Yet I was getting lambasted for stating I think he was an idiot when he was body slamming girls on stage while he had his broken arm!

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't play a snap this season. This is getting insane. Yet I was getting lambasted for stating I think he was an idiot when he was body slamming girls on stage while he had his broken arm!

That was so idiotic and showed Gronk needed to be protected from Gronk.

Saner minds...such as a professionally trained MD...should have taken a more conservative approach IMO but it sounds like they were "operating" with the team's best interests in mind. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time they act that way.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may not have been an infection, but the bone would have been less likely to heal properly. There's a reason it's fairly rare to not get surgery on a broken bone.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may not have been an infection, but the bone would have been less likely to heal properly. There's a reason it's fairly rare to not get surgery on a broken bone.

Actually it is quite common that broken bones/fractures (same thing) do not need surgery. Depending on how it was broken most of the time the most they need to do is re-align the bone then stick a cast over it allowing for the natural process of the human body to heal the bone. From the sound of this article this is exactly what should/could have happened but it does take a bit longer to heal.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a young athlete, I had a lot of broken bones. In those days you did not get an Xray every time something hurt. This meant that most of the breaks went undiagnosed at that time and I never took time off. I'm not recommending this BUT - I never had any surgeries for breaks and I have never had any problems from them. Nowadays, every time I get an Xray, they find something I broke years ago and never knew about it. Sounds weird but think about it, which is better, getting surgery or never knowing there was a problem?
In Gronk's case they knew their was a problem, knew it would heal, the solution is simple. Hand him a beer and say "see you next year" He starts this season on time, with a vengeance. We never have the discussion about who is the best TE in football.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should of been put on PUP, probably wont play another 2 weeks at least. I'd rather him not play until BB is more then sure he's 100% healthy. He probably already is, but another week or 2 wont hurt anyone. I want Gronk healthy for the end of the season so rushing him back is pointless.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well body slamming chicks wasn't the best idea, but he will play this season. Wont be Sunday, but it shouldn't be much longer.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should of been put on PUP, probably wont play another 2 weeks at least. I'd rather him not play until BB is more then sure he's 100% healthy. He probably already is, but another week or 2 wont hurt anyone. I want Gronk healthy for the end of the season so rushing him back is pointless.

He wouldn't have been able to practice this whole time, though.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he can take his skirt off he will be able to play.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him on the PUP. There are some major issues now. He does not trust the team. Team Dr are saying its fine, Dr Andrews is telling him no. Not good. Trade him if you ask me

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him? Are you shitting me?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there's pretty much no trade where we get close to equal value back.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put him on the PUP. There are some major issues now. He does not trust the team. Team Dr are saying its fine, Dr Andrews is telling him no. Not good. Trade him if you ask me

Ignoring the fact that he took the surgery for the interests of the team and just looking at col, hard business, You get nothing for him right now - nothing for a guy that might be the best tight end to play the game.
Do you trade Wilfork too?
You could get a lot for Brady - even with his current effort.

I say get frustrated and make as many stupid decisions as you can make and show everybody!

BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Gronkowski is something that the Patriots never should do. Hell it shouldn't even be a consideration.

It sucks that his arm has been taking this long to recover. I wish he'd be back because I think that he would help the offense. I know that is pretty easy to say but it is true. He would be a security blanket for Brady that he could dump it off to or have him go deep like he does. The Patriots need some more firepower in their offense it is just so hard to get it when Brady and his wideouts are obviously not on the same page.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys want a guy around who clearly does not trust this team, which is evident by him still not playing? He has gotten someone else to say he is not ready to play. When you start to not trust the people you work for, it is just bad all around. IDK. I smell trouble here.....