• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gronk has Retired

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was clearly done before the announcement...

Haha

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kellen Winslow isn’t just a Hall-of-Fame tight end. He’s a Hall-of-Fame tight end who revolutionized the position, with an impact so enormous that New England coach Bill Belichick called the wave of today’s big-money tight ends “all descendants of Kellen Winslow.”

He has that right.

It was Winslow who was the first tight end to league the league in receptions in consecutive seasons. It was Winslow who set a single-season yardage record for tight ends that wasn’t broken for 30 years. And it was Winslow who set a single-game yardage record for tight ends in the playoffs that lasted another 30 years.

So the former San Diego Chargers' star is more than qualified to assess the best and brightest at the position, and he did that when he joined the Talk of Fame Network’s latest broadcast to name the tight ends – other than himself, of course – he’d choose for his franchise.

“Tony Gonzalez and Mark Bavaro,” he said. “Tony’s a wide receiver/tight end/H-back who’s very smart (and) very athletic. Bavaro falls into that same category. He was a blocking tight end who could get you some good yards. He could go downfield and actually catch. There are a couple of guys you just can’t go wrong with.

“(But then there’s) a guy like Ozzie Newsome -- that undersized tight end who was stuck in that Cleveland offense with his hand down on the line of scrimmage so much. They eventually started to move him out and set him up and get him away from that tackle and safety and freed him up -- especially in the winter time in Cleveland.”

But Winslow made it clear how much respect he has for the tight ends that preceded him, guys like Mike Ditka and John Mackey. In fact, he revealed that he thought about not accepting his Hall-of-Fame award if Mackey was not elected before him. As it turns out, he didn’t have to make that decision. Mackey was chosen in 1992; Winslow was elected in 1995.

“Before I went in John Mackey went in (and) thank God,” he said. “I was considering not accepting if John Mackey was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. (I thought) what am I doing here? It would not have been fair because John Mackey was a beast.”

As a kid I was able to see Mackey in action during his prime and he was great to watch. I think Gronk is the best I've seen.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope can't fault him one bit. Too may times this past season you could visibly see the pain on his face.

Great career and it's already been said but I'll say it again. way yo go out on top. His catch at/near the goal line in SB 53 set NE up for their only TD.

Go clown around and enjoy the rest of your life.

I just hope he goes the acting route and not the WWE acting route. WWE could take a bigger toll on his body.

Can't wait to see him in the Rock in a movie together. Even if it's a flop?

I can see him getting into the movies, no doubt, he's got the personality for it ..

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d put Gronk on the same level as Tony G, Shannon Sharpe, and Antonio Gates. Right there at the top of TE’s in history.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you Raiders...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes thank you Oakland.

How many times does NE get to fuck you over?

Darryl Stingley says karma bitches.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the memories Gronk. Boy he was fun to watch.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Gronk. Wish him well. Definitely a throwback TE. Liked him way more than the guys who were basically just big bodied WR's playing the position. Gonzalez was a great pass catching TE, no doubt but I always disliked the guy for his inability or unwillingness to block. Gronk was more of the John Mackey, Mike Ditka mold.

Bruce Morton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Gronk. Wish him well. Definitely a throwback TE. Liked him way more than the guys who were basically just big bodied WR's playing the position. Gonzalez was a great pass catching TE, no doubt but I always disliked the guy for his inability or unwillingness to block. Gronk was more of the John Mackey, Mike Ditka mold.

Gronk was the best blocking TE I've ever seen. He had the whole package....

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he comes back for the second half of the season and playoffs.....
I hope not. I hope he stays away and just enjoys his new life. The sooner he's in the HOF, the better, imo and I really wouldn't want to see the guy get hurt. He's taken a lot of punishment.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this gonna be one of those "for now" scenario's

Kinda getting that vibe myself.

I doubt it.

I remember hearing an interview with him the week before the Super Bowl and he was saying shit about at some point, your mind needs to tell yourself not to do this to your body, and understanding why people walk away from the game.

Right then, I thought to myself if that's what's on his mind just days before playing in the Super Bowl, he's done.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm getting senile in my old age but I've actually seen Ditka compliment Tony G on his ability to block during some of Ditkas time on pregame analysis.

Chiefs never had any issues running the ball from 2001 on so :noidea:

Having Tony G move the defender outside of the box and just having the oline do its thing was enough to get the job done.