• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grenkie signs with the D-BACKS?!?!?!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked, but I can't find a $$$ amount for how much the Giants are getting from their TV deal. That's because the Giants own a stake in the network (30%) rather than receiving 'licensing fees'. Since the deal was signed back in '08 (I think) it's probably worth less than Arizona's & Los Angeles' & Houston's recent blockbuster deals. BUT, the upside is that the Giants don't have to include the money as their 'revenue' (for revenue sharing purposes), since the money isn't 'baseball revenue' it's 'investment income'. Still, any team that has re-negotiated it's contract in the past 3 years or so is hauling in a bundle of cash, and ditto any team that will be able to get a new contract in the next few years. Player salaries are going to go through the roof (well, *continue* to go through the roof) with all that extra cash. When a small market team like the d-backs can get $75M a year ...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally sat down and read today's newspaper (I know, I know, how 20th century of me). The SJMerc had an interesting tidbit about the D-backs : This Feb they signed a new TV deal with Fox Sports Arizona worth 1.5 billion $$ over 20 years. If it is fairly evenly spaced, that's about $75M a year in revenue. So far, they haven't even spent half of that amount on Greinke ...

It puts things in perspective.

Edit : also, Greinke's 2016 salary will be MORE than the sum for the entire rest of the team that has a guaranteed contract for 2016.
I don't live in the Bay Area. Do the Giants have a TV deal like this? Serious question.

Thanks in advance.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona's TV deal also includes equity in FSAZ. The initial revenue to begin the deal is expected to start at $30-40 mil for 2016 & increase every year thereafter.

Another tidbit on the Greinke deal, $80 mil of his deal is in deferred payments. His yearly salary hit likely will be around $21 mil. But we won't know the exact specifics till later.

I wouldn't count out the Dbacks signing Leake. They still have $15-20 mil to spend.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona has (well, had :D ) very, VERY little in guaranteed monies to players under contract, and LOTS of young talent (and that shit Goldschmidt - he's only a shit because he has *killed* Giants pitching from day 1 of his career, even before he started walloping everybody else's pitching). It could easily be a 3-way race to the finish in the NL West in 2016.

Good new about Greinke in Phoenix :
1) He won't be pitching for the Dodgers
2) The Giants won't be paying him
3) The D-backs are probably going to win more games against the Dodgers in 2016 - always a good thing (they were 6-13 in 2015)

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona has (well, had :D ) very, VERY little in guaranteed monies to players under contract, and LOTS of young talent (and that shit Goldschmidt - he's only a shit because he has *killed* Giants pitching from day 1 of his career, even before he started walloping everybody else's pitching). It could easily be a 3-way race to the finish in the NL West in 2016.

3) The D-backs are probably going to win more games against the Dodgers in 2016 - always a good thing (they were 6-13 in 2015)

That's the thing, if the Dogs keep him maybe we're only worried about 1 other team in the division, not 2. Oh well, no one just hands you the title. Need one more legit piece, either another arm or an OF

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't live in the Bay Area. Do the Giants have a TV deal like this? Serious question.

Thanks in advance.

Gee, I knew that you were going to ask this question 20-25 minutes before you did! (Read my post just above yours.) :D

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I knew that you were going to ask this question 20-25 minutes before you did! (Read my post just above yours.) :D

Well, back at you!

This may turn out to be the best of both worlds:

1) The Dodgers don't get him.

2) We don't have to pay for him.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'Sammy' contract is somewhat backloaded, and in 2017 the Giants lose the contracts of Pagan, Peavy, Romo, and Lopez (a total of $40M). So it's quite possible that another $18M-20M/per deal could be in the works, especially if slightly backloaded.

If there's anything the Giants have in spades it's young, cheap pitching in the minors (at least one starter and hopefully two, plus a few guys for the 'pen by/before opening day 2017). Currently in the pen, Kontos and Strickland were nails last season, Osich could be taking over for Lopez - but not as a LOOGY, a guy who can get both righties AND lefties out. And there's the usual double handful of arms from AA and AAA last year that could make an impression in 2016.

If the Gs manage to sign Leake, I'm OK with trying Blanco/Parker as the LF - they can reinforce LF and/or CF for 2017 since their starting pitching will be cheap out of the minors, allowing them to spend elsewhere.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the article:

"Leake's projected contract of four years and $56 million"
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If we could get him for that, we should have done that yesterday.

And we could still sign a premium OF, or at least Zobrist.

If we could net Samardzija, Leake, and a premium OF, I would be ecstatic.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would be OK with that off-season.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confused as to what this has to do with Greinke, or the D-backs. Chapman plays for the Reds, and lives in Florida.

It's all One Big Topic.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confused as to what this has to do with Greinke, or the D-backs. Chapman plays for the Reds, and lives in Florida.

I also posted it on another thread. Didn't want to start a new thread.

Grienke was a Dodger and was signed away. Dodgers tried to trade for alleged criminal, AC. I thought there might be a connection somewhere. :noidea:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we could get Leake at that price, I agree we should have signed him yesterday. As far as getting a premium OF, I have seen enough of Blanco to know somewhat what we are getting and given the strength of the lineup overall, I'd be ok without the premium OF and would be ok waiting for 2017 after we have a better grasp of the development of Parker and/or Mac, along with another year of seeing if Blanco can continue to make strides towards locking up the leadoff spot. If we got the cheddar, then please bring Heyward in, but I just don't think FO is looking to pony up the dough for a FA OF after spending on SP the way they have.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Backs have gone out and traded for Shelby Miller. Pollock is not involved in deal. My god, the D-Backs could be dangerous.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ender Inciarte is going to Atlanta, plus additional prospects. Elite defense, and a 70 point jump in OPS from 2014 to 2015. 5.3 WAR player, only 25 years old. So Miller didn't come cheap. Doubt the D-Backs are done, Miller's cheap salary probably allows them to replace Inciarte in free agency or go after another starting pitcher, like Leake. With Tomas around, it will probably be the latter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a HUGE get by the Snakes. One good thing is that it probably takes them out of the running for Leake/Cueto/Maeta. Better chance the Giants get one of them.