• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Roman proved his worth

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I see the genius in Roman's game plans in the playoffs. Against the Packers he emphasized Kaep as a runner (181 yards rushing, 2 TDs), and against the Falcons he emphasized Kaep as a pocket passer (16/21, 233 yards, TD). I don't think this was a coincidence. I think this was a "big picture" game plan and he looked forward into the playoffs before doing it.

So what? Well I think this leaves Balitmore's defense with a huge dilemma. Who do they prepare for? Do you concentrate on Packers film and prepare for Kaep the runner, or do you look more towards Falcons film and try to stop Kaepernick as a passer?

I don't think this was coincidence at all. Well done Greg, well done. :suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bastard! You stole my thunder. I was just about to post this exact thing! :)

I was thinking about the game ths morning and just gushing over how valuable Roman is to this team. Jacksonville is REALLY stupid for not waiting to get him. The Niners are extremely lucky to have him for another season, and I fully expect him to be a head coach in 2014. And a good one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wanna add that Harbaugh/Roman showed tremendous composure sticking to this game plan despite being down 17-0. I'm not sure that would've been the case earlier in the year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bastard! You stole my thunder. I was just about to post this exact thing! :)

I was thinking about the game ths morning and just gushing over how valuable Roman is to this team. Jacksonville is REALLY stupid for not waiting to get him. The Niners are extremely lucky to have him for another season, and I fully expect him to be a head coach in 2014. And a good one.

Agreed. Tremendous composure and discipline by Roman. Showed a lot of foresight, as well.

He'll be a top-3 HC candidate next year barring an offensive implosion.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just hope Harbaugh is the same coach without him. I fully expect he will be, but this is even better than when Seifert had Shannahan as the OC because Harbaugh is a better coach than Seifert ever was.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Ravens have 2 weeks to prepare for both sides of Kaep. Fangio already has a lot of footage of Flacco to work with dating back from last year when they played off. Fangio had a good game plan than, but our players back then were a bit more dominant (Rogers, Smith, Ray, Soap). I have confidence in our secondary, we seen the best WR/TE threats we have faced in the playoffs and we handled them (for lack of better words) and came out with the "W". Smith/Boldin/Pitta are good, but we can handle them. My concern is their oline. We will need our Dline to show up this game for us to win this game. We have to get Flacco on the ground several times. On offense, we just continue to do what we are doing. Keeping them on their heels. They have Tyrod Taylor they can during their practices to run the read option play. He gives them a good look in terms of speed. I think Kaep needs to have a Patriots/Saints passing type performance for us to win. I think we got this game though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My concern is their oline. We will need our Dline to show up this game for us to win this game. We have to get Flacco on the ground several times.

Mine too. The Niners have struggled with running teams this year. They need to key on the run and let the DBs do their thing. This isn't like playing against Julio & Roddy; the DBs & LBs can handle the Ravens' WRs & TEs.

They're gonna have to get pressure just rushing four on passing downs, but I don't think that's going to be a problem. My worry is their running game. Whitner needs to play in the box a lot. They might complete a few long passes, but I'll take that over an entire game of 6 & 7 yard runs.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice post Clyde

Roman is a genius and I think we will be able to dominate the Ravens, they have loss some games that they should have won this year but I think we will get them this time. Niners do not lose Super Bowls.

Man I felt like crying at the Niners won, its been a long time man, at Pedros in San Francisco it was so much passion in the play unbelievable.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed

But he still has one more time to show me lol

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing that is really amazing about these guys is that they are able to keep some of their aces up their sleeves, as Roman put it, until the biggest games.

Sometimes earlier in the season when they were being conservative, there was some question about whether or not they were saving some looks for the playoffs. But that was hard to believe when they struggled in what seemed to be big games - but in retrospect, of course, those weren't big games. THESE were the big games, and they've unveiled lots of new stuff when it *really* counted.

And that just makes you think - do they still have some tricks they haven't shown? Now that would be hard to believe, that they'd save things all the way until the SB. But at this point I wouldn't doubt anything these guys do, their long-term vision and planning are simply spectacular.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I really hope Roman isn't ALL of the brains behind this operation.

As great of an asset as Roman is, Fangio is even more valuable IMO. He's gotten WAY more out of the same players that Nolan & Singletary had.

I think Harbaugh could get along without Roman, but I'm not sure Harbs has the defensive chops to dominate without Vic. Let's hope the Niners don't have to worry about that for a long time.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick, I think the thing about Harbaugh is that no matter what happens, he's great at attracting coaching talent. You have to consider that he was able to get these great minds to join him at Stanford - not exactly the most prestigious situation. I think no matter who leaves Harbaugh will be able to find quality replacements.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, I think the thing about Harbaugh is that no matter what happens, he's great at attracting coaching talent. You have to consider that he was able to get these great minds to join him at Stanford - not exactly the most prestigious situation. I think no matter who leaves Harbaugh will be able to find quality replacements.

Agreed. Great coaches would love a shot to coach with him because I think Harbaugh will soon have his own impressive coaching tree. SF will be a launching pad for coaching careers again the way New England has been for a while (although the 49er coaches were actually successful in other cities).

Move over Dark Lord Belichick! Take your black cloack & hoodie and fade away into cheater oblivion! :)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As great of an asset as Roman is, Fangio is even more valuable IMO. He's gotten WAY more out of the same players that Nolan & Singletary had.

I think Harbaugh could get along without Roman, but I'm not sure Harbs has the defensive chops to dominate without Vic. Let's hope the Niners don't have to worry about that for a long time.

Part of the reason why I wanted an offensive guy as HC was that it would be easier to replace an OC if he left. All things even, I think it's easier to replace DC than an OC from a scheme standpoint, so that was one of the driving forces.

Having Harbaugh will make that transition easier. He'll know exactly what to look for in a replacement OC, when most defensive minded HCs won't.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post Clyde, not only did he do what you said - use Kaep's running to fool Atlanta, and use Kaep's pocket to make it confusing for the Ravens, he also set up the Green Bay game by limiting the pistol offense in the last two games of the regular season. He said that after the Packers game. Big picture guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the offensive line has really been coming thru. true Iupati had his moments, but most times Kap had time to throw.

the O-line is also doing well running the ball, both inside and outside (just outside yesterday).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Think it works on a brain trust. I recall it the Catch III that Chryst was the one that identified the trend of Jenkins being susceptible to that play we ran.

I get the feeling Harbaugh setup his staff like the Patriots in that the system is in place and it's next man up when it comes to replacing staff.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I freely admit I was wrong at the begining of the game glad to see it appears we keep Roman for at least another year. My only concern remains getting past the wwl bug.. And it appears to do that we jjust neeed wwwwthen a loss can come in the first preseason game. The Falcons looke to be so worried about Kaep running they gave Gore plenty of room.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I love Roman but he's either a genius or terrible without much middle ground. Sometimes he gets too cute with his play calling and out thinks himself at times.

But overall the staff is fantastic at game planning and playing the chess match aspect of the game. We knew the Falcon's defense was going to be completely focused on CK and his running so we used it as a decoy and gashed them with the inside runs and passing.