• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Robinson vs Jake Mathews??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not there is a very good chance that we could take 1 of these guys with the #2 pick. Neither would be my choice, I still got flashbacks of us taking Jason Smith back in time. uggg....:L if we only would have taken Micheal Oher instead.

Most mocks in the past few months had our Rams taking Mathews. Now everything that I'm reading shows Robinson as our pick; I guess if we had to choose a tackle with our first pick, who would you guys take? Greg Robinson-6' 5", 320# vs Jake Mathews-6' 5", 305#? Run blocker vs pass protector? The combine is a month away and will show us a little on these guys. I'm thinking this is the direction Fisher/Snead will go. Lets just hope we get it right this time.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter who is ranked higher, Jeff Fisher has never and isn't going to take an OL with his first pick. Maybe at 13 or 26 if we trade with Cleveland. He is going to take a playmaker, no doubt in my mind. He will build the OL through FA and later rounds like he always has.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would take the guy whos more coachable

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter who is ranked higher, Jeff Fisher has never and isn't going to take an OL with his first pick. Maybe at 13 or 26 if we trade with Cleveland. He is going to take a playmaker, no doubt in my mind. He will build the OL through FA and later rounds like he always has.

History shows that...and I hope your right, but nothing is written in stone.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this kid Trey Downe, I hear he's very coachable!

what i ment was, pick the kid who is more coachable in terms of learning the skill he lacks, the one thats bad at run block works on run blocking, the one that can improve on pass protection works on pass protection.

Which one is going to improve his overall game the most is what im trying to say i guess.:noidea:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to take one at #2 ( or 4, or 6 ) and both guys are available, I hope they take Matthews.

Matthews has proven he can play both tackle positions, he has the pedigree, and I would hate for the Rams to draft another OT because he has more "upside". That's what they all said about Smith too and look where that got us.

Robinson is a road grader which is great for our offense, but he is not very good at pass protection which is what the Rams desperately need. He has the "upside" where most see Matthews as a finished product.

However, Matthews is good at both pass and run ( not great ). But I would take a good tackle over a great road grader with "potential" to become a good pass protector. Been down that road once, don't want to go there again.

Whether they take a tackle or not is a whole other matter.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to take one at #2 ( or 4, or 6 ) and both guys are available, I hope they take Matthews.

Matthews has proven he can play both tackle positions, he has the pedigree, and I would hate for the Rams to draft another OT because he has more "upside". That's what they all said about Smith too and look where that got us.

Robinson is a road grader which is great for our offense, but he is not very good at pass protection which is what the Rams desperately need. He has the "upside" where most see Matthews as a finished product.

However, Matthews is good at both pass and run ( not great ). But I would take a good tackle over a great road grader with "potential" to become a good pass protector. Been down that road once, don't want to go there again.

Whether they take a tackle or not is a whole other matter.

I don't know Angel, part of me says Fisher wont take a tackle and part of me thinks he will, but if I were to choose between one of these 2, I'm not sure which one I'd take. You are probably right, Mathews being the safer pick. This Robinson kid is only a redshirt sophomore coming out way early. He should probably stay in school and at least play 1 more year and possibly be picked #1 overall in 2015. I'm not saying he's better than Mathews, but he's definitely bigger and probably more agile than Mathews. This kid looks like he's got great upper body strength and good forward push. I guess we'll have to check him out at the combine. Here is what his coach had to say about him;

"We've got his feet where they need to be, we've got his body position where it needs to be as far as his pad level. He's really fundamentally with his feet pretty good, but we have not got his hands where I want them yet," Grimes said. "And if there is one thing we have got to fix -- if I had a chance to do that -- it would definitely be his hands, especially in pass protection."
In the Auburn run-based spread offense, however, Robinson is simply able to overpower opponents. Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan noted Robinson's impressive ability to "almost wipe out the whole defensive line." Grimes went one step further.

"Everyone can see the tape," Grimes said. "He can get movement on the Berlin Wall, as far as the running game is concerned, but they haven't seen his pure athleticism yet."
Grimes then listed off the impressive feats of athleticism Robinson is capable of: a 30-inch vertical jump, a 4.9 40-yard dash, bench-pressing nearly 500 pounds and squatting 650 pounds.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that may be true Zeke, but do you think the Rams need to be taking a chance on him and hope he can become a good pass blocker? We know he's great at run blocking, but if he doesn't reach his potential as a blindside protector, what good is he.

Like SJ said, you have to worry about these guys that shoot up draft boards late because of a good bowl game or combine, versus taking someone like Matthews who has proven it for 3 years on both sides of the line.

I guarantee there are other OT's in this draft with potential to be good that won't be as costly as Robinson (2nd to 5th round guys ).

Robinson is too risky at #2 IMO.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not late, it's still early, we haven't even seen free agency yet.... or the combine. I'm just watching these guys because you know that our brass is looking at all options. I just cant believe this kid is coming out after his sophomore year.

You know me...if it were up to me I would go defense; Clowney, Barr or Mack, Justin Gilbert. But they never pick who I like, never.

Just have to wait I guess....

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not late, it's still early, we haven't even seen free agency yet.... or the combine. I'm just watching these guys because you know that our brass is looking at all options. I just cant believe this kid is coming out after his sophomore year.

You know me...if it were up to me I would go defense; Clowney, Barr or Mack, Justin Gilbert. But they never pick who I like, never.

Just have to wait I guess....

I'm with you Zeke

Clowney and a safety in the 1st would be great.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Everyone can see the tape," Grimes said. "He can get movement on the Berlin Wall, as far as the running game is concerned, but they haven't seen his pure athleticism yet."
There is almost no tape of this guy pass blocking which is like not having any tape of a QB throwing the ball

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is almost no tape of this guy pass blocking which is like not having any tape of a QB throwing the ball

He's is a sophomore, there is not much tape on him at all. He needs to play another year of college ball.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to throw out a name of an OT who is purebred RT 6'8" 325 and will be available in round 5 or 6. The name? Cornielus Lucas from Kansas State. He is moving up boards so we might need to look at him in the 4th, but still if they go OLB (Barr) and then S (Dix or Pryor with the first 2 picks and then look at Gabe Jackson or Cyril RIchardson in the 2nd... then pick this cat, OH MY!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea KSUDodgers, I have seen this Lucas kid's name moving up and the tape that is out there is that he is a beast. Perhaps, Fisher will continue his selection of defense in the first although a recent Mock suggests we will trade with Tennessee to pick up a DT they have and a second rounder for our #2. At this point anything could happen. We shall see.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins
Taylor Lewan

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins
Taylor Lewan

I'm against a OT with either at 2, 13 especially 2. but if they do... I like Lewan at 13. I don't see the big difference in these OT and the draft is so deep with linemen doesn't make sense to take one in the first. imo

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a draft is deep at a position and the difference between elite and solid is minimal, why would you take the best one on the board? Not to mention, big 10 O-lineman tend to be pretty good and I think Lewan has the tools to be solid in the NFL.

OT is the deepest position in the draft. WR is fairly deep, but only has a few elite prospects that I believe we need to help our offense.

It's all about value + other picks you have to pick up other players to help.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against a OT with either at 2, 13 especially 2. but if they do... I like Lewan at 13. I don't see the big difference in these OT and the draft is so deep with linemen doesn't make sense to take one in the first. imo

Excellent point. I also believe the 2nd pick in the draft would be better used elsewhere. As SJ76 also pointed out, the difference between great and solid in OL is minimal. From the scuttlebutt I'm reading, the Texans may very well select Manzeil with the first pick, which should give the Rams more leverage to trade the 2nd pick if that is what they're intent on doing. I believe Bridgewater is the better QB, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. But this stuff changes daily, and the rhetoric will continue to flow, so the scenario we're discussing now will be nothing like what actually materializes on draft day. I still like Clowney. I believe if we draft him we could potentially trade Chris Long and his bloated contract, which would free up additional $$$, and Clowney will be an elite player in a year or two with the proper coaching and motivation.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i ment was, pick the kid who is more coachable in terms of learning the skill he lacks, the one thats bad at run block works on run blocking, the one that can improve on pass protection works on pass protection.

Which one is going to improve his overall game the most is what im trying to say i guess.:noidea:

foghorn-leghorn-its-a-joke.png

Last edited by a moderator: