• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Graham Harrell being released by Green Bay Packers

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was easy to make that decision and glad it is done now. This will give Young quite a bit of time next week as I am guessing he will get most of the game.

Graham Harrell being released by Green Bay Packers - NFL.com
Graham Harrell being released by Green Bay Packers

The Packers have decided that Vince Young's talent is more valuable than Graham Harrell's experience in coach Mike McCarthy's system.

The team is releasing Harrell, a source informed of the move [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]371367462786183168[/MEDIA]"]told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport[/ame], meaning Vince Young likely has won the backup quarterback job in Green Bay.

Harrell can't say he failed to receive a fair opportunity. McCarthy gave the longtime backup one last chance to prove himself in Friday's 17-10 preseason loss to the Seattle Seahawks. After entering the game in the middle of the first quarter, Harrell failed to lead a single scoring drive in five series (four with the first-team offense).

Although McCarthy always had high hopes for Harrell because of his toughness and instincts, the former Texas Tech star hasn't shown the necessary arm strength or pocket presence to succeed as an NFL backup. Harrell managed a paltry 4.02 yards per attempt in three preseason games. His career preseason averages in four years include a 56.0 percent completion rate, 5.4 yards per attempt and just five touchdowns on 195 throws.

The Packers presumably will roll with Young as Aaron Rodgers' clipboard holder after a positive showing versus the Seahawks. Third quarterback B.J. Coleman could be headed for the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo.

He had plenty of time to make a difference and failed miserably.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad. I don't know why he couldn't make a successful jump to the NFL, but he just didn't. I wish him nothing but good fortune no matter where he lands, but, after three years, he just didn't show enough to be worthy of a roster spot this year.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the right move. Neither QB is the future for the Packers so it come down to who would be better equipped to led a Packers team into the playoffs if Rodgers went down late in the season.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the right move. Neither QB is the future for the Packers so it come down to who would be better equipped to led a Packers team into the playoffs if Rodgers went down late in the season.

If Rodgers goes down there is no playoffs. That can be said though about almost any playoff caliber team in the league. If its a one or two game stretch I for sure would rather have Young than Harrell, but if we are talking a long stretch then it wouldn't matter.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Coleman eligible for the practice squad or did we blow a draft pick on him?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Coleman eligible for the practice squad or did we blow a draft pick on him?

Yes he can go on the practice squad and what the hell are you talking about with blowing a draft pick on him. He was a 7th Round pick (243rd Overall), the average success of a top pick is slow, then you get into the later rounds and more players are cut, don't work out. How can you call it "blowing a draft pick"

Let's look at the guys who went after him
244: Jordan White WR, NY Jets
245: Trevin Wade CB, Browns
246: Terrence Frederick CB, Steelers
247: Brad Smelley TE, Browns
248: Kelvin Beachum OG, Steelers
249: Travian Robinson DT, Falcons
250: Edwin Baker RB, Chargers
251: John Potter K, Bills
252: Daryl Richardson RB, Rams
253: Chandler Harnish QB, Colts

White, Baker, Wade, Potter

Frederick was cut by Steelers, now with NY Giants
Smelley still with CLE for now
Kelvin Beachum has actually worked out pretty well
Robertson on the roster bubble
Daryl Richardson is actually now the Rams starting RB (over Pead and Stacy). He has been nice, but I'd take Lacy and/or Franklin over him and Harris.
Harnish is Colts third string QB, headed back to practice squad.

blackboard83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rodgers goes down there is no playoffs. That can be said though about almost any playoff caliber team in the league. If its a one or two game stretch I for sure would rather have Young than Harrell, but if we are talking a long stretch then it wouldn't matter.

Somewhat agree but many great teams can at least stay competition because they have a great defense or some sort of a running game, GB has neither.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have rather had Vontez Burfect. Other than that i have no complaints about Coleman. I think he might develop into a better player than Harrell

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have rather had Vontez Burfect. Other than that i have no complaints about Coleman. I think he might develop into a better player than Harrell

Yeah, there was another guy I thought we should've drafted with that spot too though it wasn't Burfict. It was quite evident Coleman was going to be a UDFA. I'm taking a major assumption here that the team thought they wouldn't be able to snag him in UDFA so they liked him enough to draft him. I understood the decision, but his lack of development makes me want to go with my gut on this one. I'd hope he'd make more progress, but I'm concerned that won't happen.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there was another guy I thought we should've drafted with that spot too though it wasn't Burfict. It was quite evident Coleman was going to be a UDFA. I'm taking a major assumption here that the team thought they wouldn't be able to snag him in UDFA so they liked him enough to draft him. I understood the decision, but his lack of development makes me want to go with my gut on this one. I'd hope he'd make more progress, but I'm concerned that won't happen.

Not to be a dick here, but can you name me a player that WASN'T "quite evident" to be a UDFA at that point in the draft?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter...it is a very good practice to draft a QB every season. You never know when you can get a guy to develop so play the numbers game.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually would have liked to take a flier on him as well.... but his off the field issues were considerable leading up to the draft and I can understand why Packers stayed away from drafting him.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually would have liked to take a flier on him as well.... but his off the field issues were considerable leading up to the draft and I can understand why Packers stayed away from drafting him.

agreed