• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading our players: The Backfield

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All injuries are not equal. Pre injury Bush was looking great. I think he's going to proviide serious production next year .

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see all the hate on Reggie cause of the fact he was injured. It's not like the dude was healthy all year and just sucked, Trent Richardson style.

Was wondering that myself. He remains a far better back than Riddick at this point. He still has moves (TD run vs Dallas) and he and Bell compliment each other nicely. I have a hard time evaluating any of our RB's when they were trying to run behind GoingInReverse Ravioli and Sack-o-Shit Sims. I'm amazed any of them actually survived the season. And lets not forget to give PointMeToTheUnemploymentOffice Reynolds his proper due for sucking balls also.

Depending upon what they might choose to do in FA and whether or not they franchise Suh, I would be willing to keep Bush for one more year but to draft a potential successor in the late rounds. Unless Duke Johnson somehow is there in the third (even if we have to move up some to make that happen).

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see all the hate on Reggie cause of the fact he was injured. It's not like the dude was healthy all year and just sucked, Trent Richardson style.

I find it funny that Bell has butter fingers on 5 fumbles for 223 attempts this year but Reggie da man is over looked when he 5 fumbles for 223 attempts last year. Bell did better at yards per attempt in the second half of the season than he did in the first half. The Lions gave up 30 of their 48 sacks in the first 7 games... New Coaching Scheme? Perhaps. Leveling the playing field is all.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that Bell has butter fingers on 5 fumbles for 223 attempts this year but Reggie da man is over looked when he 5 fumbles for 223 attempts last year. Bell did better at yards per attempt in the second half of the season than he did in the first half. The Lions gave up 30 of their 48 sacks in the first 7 games... New Coaching Scheme? Perhaps. Leveling the playing field is all.

That tells us the o-line was finally starting to figure it out over the 2nd half of the year. We've upgraded at center, and if we can do the same at LG, our line should be a helluva lot better next season...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After rethinking this, I have a different opinion.

I think if the Lions plan on revamping the o-line, they extend Reggie for another year or so. He's good when healthy. Cutting him makes that area weak, so instead, I think they keep him but still add there to build a strong backfield.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'd have to, at the very least, re-do his deal at a much lower cap number. He's paid like a top-end RB, but the production simply doesn't match his salary...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can come up with something with incentives, stating he must play a certain amount of games, etc. I think its just hard to let him go at this point. Plus, the contract can be made up to make it easy to release him if they decided to.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joique Bell... out of his 5 fumbles only 1 was lost to end a drive. None of which played a major role in the Lions losing 3 of those games. (It's what down Bell fumbled the ball on, not the outcome).

Week 1 Giants - 1st Quarter Bell... Fumble/Recovered by Lions 1st and 10, Drive ends with CJ TD.
Week 2 Panthers - 1st Quarter Bell... Fumble (2nd and 7) ends drive ...Loss 7 - 24
Week 11 Cardinals - 3rd Quarter Bell... Fumble/Recovered by Lions 2nd and 2, drive ends on Punt ...Loss 6 - 14
Week 16 Bears - 2nd Quarter Bell... Fumble/Recovered by Lions 1st and 10, drive ends on INT.
Week 17 Packers - 1st Quarter Bell... Fumble/Recovered by Lions 1st and 10, drive ends on Punt ... Loss 20 - 30

Last edited by a moderator:

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really look at lost fumbles. I look at fumble totals. Lost fumbles is based on luck. If you're putting the ball on the ground, you're hurting the team.

I like Reggie, but I think that he is a weapon more than a running back. He is best when used creatively to get him the ball with space. He is somewhat effective at being a regular running back, but he is best when used deceptively to create one on ones in space a la Harvin or Patterson. My problem with Reggie is more our use of him than actually Reggie. Also there were times when he was playing that he was obviously not effective. The coach has to listen to the doctors and players on whether someone can play, but they also have to be able to see when someone is medically cleared, but clearly ineffective due to the injury.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really look at lost fumbles. I look at fumble totals. Lost fumbles is based on luck. If you're putting the ball on the ground, you're hurting the team.

I like Reggie, but I think that he is a weapon more than a running back. He is best when used creatively to get him the ball with space. He is somewhat effective at being a regular running back, but he is best when used deceptively to create one on ones in space a la Harvin or Patterson. My problem with Reggie is more our use of him than actually Reggie. Also there were times when he was playing that he was obviously not effective. The coach has to listen to the doctors and players on whether someone can play, but they also have to be able to see when someone is medically cleared, but clearly ineffective due to the injury.

Agreed. He is a gadget back. Linehan did the same thing with Best. Why try to run a speedster between the tackles 90% of the time? I would have liked to see more 2back sets so the defense had to try to prepare for either. The threat alone would've likely helped the line and their deficiencies.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only want to see him getting traditional up the middle plays just enough for it to keep the defense on their toes.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only want to see him getting traditional up the middle plays just enough for it to keep the defense on their toes.

You have to show that you're willing/going to run it up the gut but the proper ratio was reversed. That's where a 2back set would be advantageous. The defense would have to run gap assignment with a man dedicated to the flat(s). One less rusher or one less in coverage thus resulting in more time for Stafford and the Line.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all these guys that are versatile and we don't use it. Have Ebron, Bush, Bell, CJ, and Tate on the field and run a little no huddle. You can run 3 recievers, two backs, no backs, 4 receivers. I just get a rage boner followed by blue balls when I think about the possibilities underutilized by our offense.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all these guys that are versatile and we don't use it. Have Ebron, Bush, Bell, CJ, and Tate on the field and run a little no huddle. You can run 3 recievers, two backs, no backs, 4 receivers. I just get a rage boner followed by blue balls when I think about the possibilities underutilized by our offense.

Hopefully we'll see it all cum together in Lombardi's 2nd year. I don't believe in the guy but would like to.