• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading our players: The Backfield

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell lacks three of the major qualities of a good RB. Those are quickness, speed and accelleration, quickness and ball security. He makes up for some of those with decent vision, balance and power. What he lacks is what Bush brings.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bush was durable and wouldn't get injured all the time, all this team would need is a great oline. Since neither Bush or Bell can provide what the team needs, they need to find either a true #1 or a guy that can replace Bush with his same abilities.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bush was durable and wouldn't get injured all the time, all this team would need is a great oline. Since neither Bush or Bell can provide what the team needs, they need to find either a true #1 or a guy that can replace Bush with his same abilities.

If we had a great O-line. Anyone could run behind it. We would not need to overpay any RBs.

There is a chance of that as we will be revamping the O-line. We will not be bringing Raiola or Sims back. Reiff may be moving to Guard. So far the report I saw said only Warford and Swanson are staying put and even Swanson is not a definite to stay at center.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is all this Reiff moving to guard coming from? Who's this miracle left tackle we've conjured up?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell lacks three of the major qualities of a good RB. Those are quickness, speed and accelleration, quickness and ball security. He makes up for some of those with decent vision, balance and power. What he lacks is what Bush brings.

:wtf:

:lol:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I'm getting there is that Bell lacks 5 of the 3 major qualities of a good running back?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I should've said four but speed and acceleration is counted as one. You may not think so but I do.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so it's just some hack blowing smoke up our ass because the guys draft profile said his arms were too short to be a prototypical left tackle. If Lucas is a LT to slide Reiff in, I might have to murder someone. The only way I see him moving inside is us getting a stud somewhere in the offseason. i don't think thats happening.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think acceleration and speed should definitely be separate. He doesn't have speed, but he is quick, and has good acceleration. You're talking about a 230 pounds RB here. There are not many guys his size in the league much quicker or faster. The ones that were are named Stephen Jackson. Blount is bigger, and probably a little faster, but not as quick, or with as good as acceleration. (I'm guessing you mean good lateral movement when you say quickness.)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I should've said four but speed and acceleration is counted as one. You may not think so but I do.

Acceleration must be really important then, because you listed it twice...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player has strengths and weaknesses, right? Bell's acceleration isn't good. He loses a lot of momentum once he stops and does not gain speed back quickly. Im not sure what you guys are seeing that I'm not. I think he has good vision, balance and power.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell- 7.1

Mid-level starter who closed out the year strong. Well-rounded back who can run, catch, and pass-pro. I think he ended up 15th in the league in rushing yards, if I'm not mistaken. I think he can be a lead back if/when needed, but I also think he's best suited to be paired with a speed back in a combo or committee approach.

Bush- 6.2

Still some potential there for the big play, but doesn't perform consistently enough any longer. Lots of injury history, and advanced age for the position. Hands have declined and production plummeted this season.

Riddick- 5.8

Very good receiving back, has yet to show that he can be a contributor in the running game, especially between the tackles. Too small to be an asset in pass protection. Good 3rd down back/ role player.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player has strengths and weaknesses, right? Bell's acceleration isn't good. He loses a lot of momentum once he stops and does not gain speed back quickly. Im not sure what you guys are seeing that I'm not. I think he has good vision, balance and power.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Joique has good vision, balance, and power, like you said, and he's a good receiving back and is good in pass protection as well. Its rare to find a back who is proficient enough in all three areas to be trusted on the field in any down and distance combination. Bell isn't a top-shelf back, but he's well above average, too.

On the negative side for me is his lack of break-away speed, and his fumbling issues.

I don't think we're all that far off on his skill set, but more on his value. I'm a RB committee guy, and you favor a lead back approach (at least I think you do?). In a committee, and do-it-all back like Bell is a huge asset, but he loses some of that value when he has to be a "bell-cow" type, imo. He's better in smaller doses...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say he has good, definitely not great, and at least above average quickness and acceleration because I'm comparing him to other 230 pound running backs. For example Lacy looks like he's running in 3 foot of water compared to Bell. Is he quick compared to a 195-205 pound running back, or freaks like Marshawn Lynch an Peterson at 210-215? No he is not. I do find it unlikely that there is more than a guy or two in the entire league that is over 225 that is going to look significantly quicker than Bell. Stephen Jackson was that guy earlier in his career, but I think he was a transcendent talent suck in a terrible abyss. Toby Gerhart is a guy who has better measurables, but looks slower on the field. Add in that he has great hands and you have an above average back that with the right compliment can be part of great rotation even without a superstar. In 2013 we got more than 2700 from him and bush combined.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Leveon Bell is listed at 244, but that was his weight coming into the league, and he is definitely much smaller and quicker than he was in college. I would be very surprised if he's anything above 225, but he is definitely quicker than our Bell, but he was also a top 3 back last year.

Ok he was down to 225 at camp last year, I wouldn't be surprised to learn he was even trimmer by season starting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see all the hate on Reggie cause of the fact he was injured. It's not like the dude was healthy all year and just sucked, Trent Richardson style.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's so much hate as it is that he's just not a $5 million per season RB any more. Imo, at least...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell had more injury issues than Bush and it did not effect his play nearly as much. Bush also dropped a lot of balls. Seeing Riddick make circus catches out of the backfield makes many of realize Bush is expendable.