• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gotham

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is nice about the Jerome/Joker character is that the real joker in the comics had no real origin... There were different graphic novels that explored his origin, but even then the origin is still a mystery... What will be cool is once Jerome/Joker takes over the red hood gang(from last season).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least they killed off Fish Mooney at the end of last season(at least for the time being). She was definitely the worst character last season.
I had to google to make sure they didn't renew her contract. Best news Ive heard in awhile.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to google to make sure they didn't renew her contract. Best news Ive heard in awhile.
Yeah, I believe Jada didn't want to come back from what I remember but either way, the show is definitely better off because of it.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season was watchable. I agree with whoever said the female characters on the show have been really bad. I'm really digging where this season is going though. I've accepted that it's a big campy, but I do think the writers are doing it intentionally. Not as good as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Dare Devil but streets ahead of The Flash and Arrow.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the finale last season was terrible. This season I feel really excited to see what happens with the Riddler character. Jerome seems like a mix between Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson's Joker, not sure I like it, I kind of liked not knowing the origin of the Joker so I'm hoping he's not the actual Joker, maybe just inspiration for the actual Joker.

The part where Bruce fires Alfred seemed very unnecessary, we all know that they wouldn't part ways. That was just lame imo, I didn't see the point.

Not a perfect show by any means but not terrible.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the finale last season was terrible. This season I feel really excited to see what happens with the Riddler character. Jerome seems like a mix between Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson's Joker, not sure I like it, I kind of liked not knowing the origin of the Joker so I'm hoping he's not the actual Joker, maybe just inspiration for the actual Joker.

The part where Bruce fires Alfred seemed very unnecessary, we all know that they wouldn't part ways. That was just lame imo, I didn't see the point.

Not a perfect show by any means but not terrible.
I like this show. A lot.

But I agree with a lot of the complaints about it. Bruce is supposed to be what, 13? 14? And he is not in school? And Gordon's first stop after getting fired to visit Bruce and get deep philosophical advice from this kid? Come on! HE IS A KID!! I dont like how they are making him wise and mature beyond his years + 40 (with the exception of the occasional temper-tantrum).

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you all could probably guess, I loved that episode.

So glad he wasn't actually the Joker, although my issue was never with the actor. I thought he did a great job. I just prefer not knowing the origin of the Joker, I feel like that would take away from what he is as a villain. He is chaos for chaos' sake. We already knew way too much about Jerome and what motivated him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not a huge fan of the Jerome character. I know the Joker is supposed to be over-the-top, but both Nicholson and Ledger brought a level of genius to the character. Mad genius, sure. But genius none the less.

This take was just infantile and loud.

I am glad he isn't actually the Joker.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So glad he wasn't actually the Joker, although my issue was never with the actor. I thought he did a great job. I just prefer not knowing the origin of the Joker, I feel like that would take away from what he is as a villain. He is chaos for chaos' sake. We already knew way too much about Jerome and what motivated him.
Why don't you want to know his origin?

Personally, I would love to know that. We know the origin of all other CB characters. Why not the grand-poobah of all villains?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they changed everyone else's origin... especially Bruce and Commish Gordon!!! why not Joker??

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you want to know his origin?

Personally, I would love to know that. We know the origin of all other CB characters. Why not the grand-poobah of all villains?

Personally I just prefer not having any sort of method to the madness. Joker is supposed to be the anti-batman, the exact opposite of order, discipline, morality, and logic. An origin story to me would eliminate some of his chaotic nature and might encourage some sympathy for the character. The Joker also doesn't become the Joker until the emergence of Batman. As seen by the numerous times he has an opportunity to either kill Batman or learn his secret identity but shows no interest in it and when Batman is considered dead or gone, he stops committing crimes. His sole purpose for living is to play games with Batman and test his resolve for justice. Having the Joker in a series like this would probably be pretty uneventful imo.

But they changed everyone else's origin... especially Bruce and Commish Gordon!!! why not Joker??

The difference here is that the Joker has never had an origin story and where there have been details hinted at, the Joker will just say something like "Sometimes I remember it one way, other times another, I prefer my past to be multiple choice!". It would be a pretty huge task for a team of writers to create a satisfying origin story for a character considered the best comic book villain of all time without ever having one. I believe that if it ain't broke, then there's no need to fix it.

The definition of chaos is complete disorder and confusion, having an origin story would eliminate some of that confusion. All this is just my opinion, I could totally understand why you would be interested, it just goes against my personal idea of what the Joker is.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm definitely thinking that Jerome inspired The Joker, at least that's what it seems like the ending was implying. But it sucks that he's gone though because I was really enjoying the Jerome character.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I just prefer not having any sort of method to the madness. Joker is supposed to be the anti-batman, the exact opposite of order, discipline, morality, and logic. An origin story to me would eliminate some of his chaotic nature and might encourage some sympathy for the character. The Joker also doesn't become the Joker until the emergence of Batman. As seen by the numerous times he has an opportunity to either kill Batman or learn his secret identity but shows no interest in it and when Batman is considered dead or gone, he stops committing crimes. His sole purpose for living is to play games with Batman and test his resolve for justice. Having the Joker in a series like this would probably be pretty uneventful imo.

The difference here is that the Joker has never had an origin story and where there have been details hinted at, the Joker will just say something like "Sometimes I remember it one way, other times another, I prefer my past to be multiple choice!". It would be a pretty huge task for a team of writers to create a satisfying origin story for a character considered the best comic book villain of all time without ever having one. I believe that if it ain't broke, then there's no need to fix it.

The definition of chaos is complete disorder and confusion, having an origin story would eliminate some of that confusion. All this is just my opinion, I could totally understand why you would be interested, it just goes against my personal idea of what the Joker is.

There were a couple Graphic novels that gave us ideas of his origin though... Especially Batman: the Killing Joke... Just saying it is out there...

And they ruined other origin's like the Penguin, Bruce wayne, Alfred pennyworth, and commish Gordon(who the whole show is about)...

For the record, it is not Alfred who teaches Batman how to be batman... in the original comics he was an actor, and besides his butler duties(for batman too) he sometimes dressed up as batman to protect Bruce's secret... There are adaptations of him being a military man, but even those Batman is a much more skilled fighter than Alfred ever could be...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really threw me off, I thought the Joker was gonna be a big part of this show, really dont know if it was a plan to turn so many to "jokers" when it ended, I was waiting for Jerome to sit up on the autopsy table since it was a magic show and you figured they had trick knives from that turntable.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a couple Graphic novels that gave us ideas of his origin though... Especially Batman: the Killing Joke... Just saying it is out there...

And they ruined other origin's like the Penguin, Bruce wayne, Alfred pennyworth, and commish Gordon(who the whole show is about)...

For the record, it is not Alfred who teaches Batman how to be batman... in the original comics he was an actor, and besides his butler duties(for batman too) he sometimes dressed up as batman to protect Bruce's secret... There are adaptations of him being a military man, but even those Batman is a much more skilled fighter than Alfred ever could be...

The quote I used is from The Killing Joke.

Yeah, Alfred may only be the first combat 'teacher'. Bruce has enough money to hire better teachers down the line. I'm pretty sure at some point he goes off to travel the world and find instructors.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping Gotham would have taken the New 52 route and have the Court of the owls... i really loved that spin... too bad they are trying hard to make it an ORIGINAL story, and screwing up everyone;s origins...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not a huge fan of the Jerome character. I know the Joker is supposed to be over-the-top, but both Nicholson and Ledger brought a level of genius to the character. Mad genius, sure. But genius none the less.

This take was just infantile and loud.

I am glad he isn't actually the Joker.
I agree. A big part of the problem with Jerome is that he couldnt decide which Joker he wanted to be. He had elements of Mark Hamill Joker, Heath Ledger Joker and Jack Nicholson Joker and rotated between the three on a frequent basis and thus had no consistency. His character didnt seem as authentic.

That said, the actual character of Jerome I'm a huge fan of. I like the concept of someone being an inspiration and a martyr of sorts. Its one of the few 'shocks' in Gotham that they've actually had to work for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping Gotham would have taken the New 52 route and have the Court of the owls... i really loved that spin... too bad they are trying hard to make it an ORIGINAL story, and screwing up everyone;s origins...
The comics have umpteen different universes to draw from. Why cant the TV show create their own and draw from that?