• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goran Dragic to Chicago?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure speculation here, but with Rose's unfortunate injury I can see Chicago possibly looking to trade for a PG.

Not sure what we'd be able to get in return, but just thought I'd start this thread for shits and giggles.

Thoughts?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting they dont have Nate Rob who did a solid job last year. Drag would fit Chicagos style of play and would be a fan favorite. But they would have to give us something nice.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this, the more I am inclined to do it.

Check out this article: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/230826/Bulls-Might-Now-Be-More-Likely-To-Trade-Luol-Deng

If that is true, a trade of Dragic and Frye for Deng works perfectly. You can check the trade checkers out there, it results in a successful trade. The money is extremely close.

From Chicago's point of view, they get a really good, borderline all star point pg who is also a really good defender. They also get Frye who can come off the bench. The suns get Deng who is an expiring contract. So this trade actually gives the suns major cap relief for next year.

Here are the salaries for next year: Phoenix Suns Salaries

If the suns made this trade, they would only have $15 million in salaries committed to next year. Those players would be Green, Len, the Morris brothers, Plumlee, and Goodwin. With a salary cap of about $60 million, they would have nearly $45 million to spend on free agents. $10-15 of that would probably go to Bledsoe, but you would still have about $30 million or more to spend on other free agents. That leaves enough money for probably two max free agents. And all of this does not include the four potential draft picks the suns have for the upcoming draft .

I am honestly not a fan of the Bledsoe and Dragic backcourt. I do not believe you can win a championship with two point guards starting. You need a true shooting guard. How many small teams win championships? None that I can think of. Big teams win championships.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Dragic and would like to see how the Dragic-Bledsoe backcourt plays out, but, after reading Tuffy's post, a trade with Chicago seems to make a lot of sense for the Suns.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to trade Dragic!

I don't either... but Deng is pretty damn solid. One of the more underrated SF's in the league and getting rid of both Goran's and Frye's contracts would put us in great shape moving forward.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which of the following polity had the most complex social structure?

A.Band
B.State
C.Chiefdom
D.Tribe
NEED HELP WITH HOMIES!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Deng, shouldn't we have had him already?!?! Oh that right, our stupid ownership traded his rights away...

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this, the more I am inclined to do it.

Check out this article: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/230826/Bulls-Might-Now-Be-More-Likely-To-Trade-Luol-Deng

If that is true, a trade of Dragic and Frye for Deng works perfectly. You can check the trade checkers out there, it results in a successful trade. The money is extremely close.

From Chicago's point of view, they get a really good, borderline all star point pg who is also a really good defender. They also get Frye who can come off the bench. The suns get Deng who is an expiring contract. So this trade actually gives the suns major cap relief for next year.

Here are the salaries for next year: Phoenix Suns Salaries

If the suns made this trade, they would only have $15 million in salaries committed to next year. Those players would be Green, Len, the Morris brothers, Plumlee, and Goodwin. With a salary cap of about $60 million, they would have nearly $45 million to spend on free agents. $10-15 of that would probably go to Bledsoe, but you would still have about $30 million or more to spend on other free agents. That leaves enough money for probably two max free agents. And all of this does not include the four potential draft picks the suns have for the upcoming draft .

I am honestly not a fan of the Bledsoe and Dragic backcourt. I do not believe you can win a championship with two point guards starting. You need a true shooting guard. How many small teams win championships? None that I can think of. Big teams win championships.

The Miami Heat have won the last two championships as a small team; over the last decade, the NBA has become a different league.

The Lakers won the championship in 1980 and 1982 starting two point guards, Norm Nixon and Magic Johnson. Of course, Magic constituted a huge guard, but he wasn't a true shooting guard, either. Additionally, in the last 43 regular season games where Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd played together and K.J. played at least 30 minutes, the Suns went 35-8 (.814), a 67-win pace. No, those Phoenix teams (1997 and 1998) ultimately did not win a playoff series, but they might have made a run at the NBA Finals the second year had head coach Danny Ainge not prematurely reduced K.J.'s role. When he played at least 30 minutes that season, the Suns went 15-2 (.882).

I think that the Suns need to wait and see how Bledsoe and Dragic function together over the span of the next three months, at least. There's no need to rush, and if they click the way that K.J. and Kidd clicked, the Suns could possess something special. Granted, Bledsoe and Dragic probably aren't Hall of Fame-caliber guards, but they could be borderline All-Star caliber and today's NBA, unlike that of the K.J./Kidd days, is designed for quick point guards. And, yes, Kidd was a bigger guard than either Bledsoe or Dragic, and K.J. constituted a better jump-shooter than either Bledsoe or Dragic, so there were some complementary dynamics there that don't quite exist in this case. But think of how much worse the Suns would be this season without possessing both Bledsoe and Dragic. The injury insurance that they provide for one another is enormous, as is the benefit of always being able to feature an above-average point guard on the floor when they're both healthy. There's also the outside chance that the Suns could bring one of them off the bench in a Sixth Man role and as part of a three-guard offense, although given their current places on their respective career arcs, and given the fact that Phoenix is not a contender, that situation surely would be unsatisfactory to whomever comes off the bench.

Regardless, the Suns don't need to jump the gun and make a deal now; they need to keep experimenting for awhile. I don't possess an urge to grab Deng's expiring contract, for I don't see what free agent the Suns absolutely need to sign next summer. If you possess some ideas in that regard, please share.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either... but Deng is pretty damn solid. One of the more underrated SF's in the league and getting rid of both Goran's and Frye's contracts would put us in great shape moving forward.

Deng is a solid all-around player, but he has become a highly inefficient scorer, posting a True Shooting Percentage of .508 or lower in each of the last three seasons, including this one. (For a point of reference, Jason Kidd's career True Shooting Percentage was .507.) Given P.J. Tucker's improvement in three-point shooting, I don't know that Deng would represent an automatic upgrade, as shocking as that statement may sound.

As I noted in my previous post, though, the key is who the Suns would add in free agency next summer. Even with cap space, free agency is a roll of the dice that often leaves suitors empty-handed and leaves others with overpriced contracts that quickly become burdensome.

UA_Stapler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I noted in my previous post, though, the key is who the Suns would add in free agency next summer. Even with cap space, free agency is a roll of the dice that often leaves suitors empty-handed and leaves others with overpriced contracts that quickly become burdensome.

Time for the tanks to roll! We need to position ourselves for Wiggins/Parker/Randle immediately!!!