• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goran Dragic to Chicago?

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he'd fit with what the Suns want to do, but how would the Suns acquire him?

Raptors are trying to blow up that team. Masi just took over and wants to tank. But Bledsoe needs the ball in his hands I would rather have a Chandler Parsons or a Gordon Hayward type player at the 3. I just like DeRozan as a star, but his game is similar to Kobe where there is no need for a point guard. I like Hayward because he can play with anybody.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Hayward will probably get a max for us to sign him.......... DeRozan has a nice 9.5 million dollar contract a year. Perfect for a 2nd option type player, and if he comes to Phoenix in the right system he can become a star. But him and Bledsoe wont work. I like Hayward alot.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to that list, Lamarcus Aldridge and Marc Gasol will be unrestricted free agents in 2015, and Kevin Love has a player option that year which he will most likely opt-out of. All three of those guys are big time free agents that are worth the max. If you have enough money, you could even sign two of them if you get lucky. Gasol at center and Love or Aldridge at power forward.

The Suns will want to maintain or create fiscal flexibility for that summer. However, I wouldn't assume that Phoenix would land any of those guys just because they're currently scheduled to be available (a schedule that could easily change). Especially given the contours of the latest collective bargaining agreement, the financial incentive for players to re-sign with their current club is enormous. Sure, a guy could always leave, as Dwight Howard did this past summer, but Howard constituted an aberrant case, having only played one season with the Lakers while recovering from back surgery and enduring a coaching change that he did not enjoy. Those other guys, on the other hand, have been with their current clubs for their entire careers, so unless the Suns offered them a superior situation despite the inferior economics, I wouldn't count on those players leaving to join Phoenix. Aldridge, in particular, would possess little reason to leave Portland for Phoenix, and any or all of those big men could sign contract extensions over the next year or so.

So, again, the Suns will want to be in position to compete for at least one of those big men, but they can't make any assumptions. Without having conducted a comprehensive study, my feeling is that free agency tends to be overrated as a means of building a successful team, let alone a championship club. Once in awhile, free agency works spectacularly, like with Miami inked James and Bosh to join Wade in 2010, or when the Lakers signed Shaq in 1996. And the Suns have sometimes enjoyed a sudden impact in free agency, as when they inked the NBA's first unrestricted free agent, Tom Chambers, in 1988, and then when they signed Nash in 2004. But the Heat's haul was obviously anomalous, and Shaq was unique. More often, the results appear pretty inefficient, much like the draft. You may remember how the Suns were going to dominate the free agent market after the 1998 season by re-signing Antonio McDyess and inking Scottie Pippen, with those players supposedly being attracted by the warm weather, the golf, and the opportunity to play with Jason Kidd. Well, the Suns ended up with Tom Gugliotta and Luc Longley. When Phoenix dropped from a .683 winning percentage in 1998 to a .540 winning percentage in 1999, the Suns overcompensated by signing Anfernee Hardaway to a contract worth more than $86M. About a year and a half later, the disappointing Longley was gone, Gugliotta was a shell of his former self after major knee surgery (and even his former, healthy self had been somewhat disappointing and overpriced), and Hardaway's second season as a Sun had seen him play in four games between Microfracture knee surgeries. By the summer of 2001, Phoenix had decided to rebuild and thus traded Kidd, and by 2002, the Suns were in the lottery.

Some of that disaster could be attributed to bad luck, but free agency is rarely a panacea. You want to be fiscally flexible enough where you can swoop in and sign a certain player should the situation arise, but you never want to place all your eggs in that basket. Indeed, I'd say that a better concept is to build through the draft, accumulate assets, and then consummate the right trades when they present themselves. Free agency, meanwhile, should be a bonus that you're economically elastic enough to examine, but one that you're never desperate for.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors are trying to blow up that team. Masi just took over and wants to tank. But Bledsoe needs the ball in his hands I would rather have a Chandler Parsons or a Gordon Hayward type player at the 3. I just like DeRozan as a star, but his game is similar to Kobe where there is no need for a point guard. I like Hayward because he can play with anybody.

I see what you're saying about DeRozan's game, but I do think that a good team needs a good point guard next to him; DeRozan's assists-to-turnover ratio this season (1.23:1.00) and for his career (1.12:1.00) is pretty bad for a guard, and his True Shooting Percentage this season (.529) and for his career (.525) suggests that his scoring efficiency is insufficient and that he needs a dynamic point guard who can generate some better looks for him. DeRozan's overall lack of efficiency, both as a scorer and as a decision-maker, indicates that he needs to be split off the ball more often—rather than Kobe Bryant, the more pertinent analogy may be a young Joe Johnson (with less consistent passing). And if DeRozan can't accommodate a point guard such as Bledsoe or Dragic, then as you seemed to suggest, there would be no point to acquiring him.

But again, who would the Suns trade for him?

Last edited by a moderator:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying about DeRozan's game, but I do think that a good team needs a good point guard next to him; DeRozan's assists-to-turnover ratio this season (1.23:1.00) and for his career (1.12:1.00) is pretty bad for a guard, and his True Shooting Percentage this season (.529) and for his career (.525) suggests that his scoring efficiency is insufficient and that he needs a dynamic point guard who can generate some better looks for him. DeRozan's overall lack of efficiency, both as a scorer and as a decision-maker, indicates that he needs to be split off the ball more often—rather than Kobe Bryant, the more pertinent analogy may be a young Joe Johnson (with less consistent passing). And if DeRozan can't accommodate a point guard such as Bledsoe or Dragic, then as you seemed to suggest, there would be no point to acquiring him.

But again, who would the Suns trade for him?

DeRozans shot has finally developed he has a nice 3 point shot now. He has the worse coach in the nba, Dwayne Casey likes to slow down the tempo on a team with a bunch of athletes, he runs a lot of sets which leads to poor spacing and clogged lanes, hes on the same team with Rudy Gay so he has a teamate that chucks. On our team in our system, with good spacing, plenty of transition baskets, and plenty of open shots and pushing the ball and running he could break out into a star. Dwayne Casey cant develop anyone because his system is so poor. I dont know even in that video there were poorly set screens and clogged lanes. Hes a high flyer so he would excel in transition and better spacing for DeRozan would elevate his game. Its just Casey is so bad no one could be a star in that system look at Gay............

Anyway you may look at the numbers but also notice that the system is slow, spacing is horrible, and he has the worse coach in the nba.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCaAPund8D0]DeMar DeRozan Full Highlights at Hawks - 31 Points (2013.11.03) - YouTube[/ame] They only get out in transition like 2-3 times a game and thats on a steal or a long rebound. Bunch of useless sets and screens, which leads to double teams after poor screens.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean how many times in Bledsoe highlights do we see him scoring in transition we see him do it once?

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns will want to maintain or create fiscal flexibility for that summer. However, I wouldn't assume that Phoenix would land any of those guys just because they're currently scheduled to be available (a schedule that could easily change). Especially given the contours of the latest collective bargaining agreement, the financial incentive for players to re-sign with their current club is enormous. Sure, a guy could always leave, as Dwight Howard did this past summer, but Howard constituted an aberrant case, having only played one season with the Lakers while recovering from back surgery and enduring a coaching change that he did not enjoy. Those other guys, on the other hand, have been with their current clubs for their entire careers, so unless the Suns offered them a superior situation despite the inferior economics, I wouldn't count on those players leaving to join Phoenix. Aldridge, in particular, would possess little reason to leave Portland for Phoenix, and any or all of those big men could sign contract extensions over the next year or so.

So, again, the Suns will want to be in position to compete for at least one of those big men, but they can't make any assumptions. Without having conducted a comprehensive study, my feeling is that free agency tends to be overrated as a means of building a successful team, let alone a championship club. Once in awhile, free agency works spectacularly, like with Miami inked James and Bosh to join Wade in 2010, or when the Lakers signed Shaq in 1996. And the Suns have sometimes enjoyed a sudden impact in free agency, as when they inked the NBA's first unrestricted free agent, Tom Chambers, in 1988, and then when they signed Nash in 2004. But the Heat's haul was obviously anomalous, and Shaq was unique. More often, the results appear pretty inefficient, much like the draft. You may remember how the Suns were going to dominate the free agent market after the 1998 season by re-signing Antonio McDyess and inking Scottie Pippen, with those players supposedly being attracted by the warm weather, the golf, and the opportunity to play with Jason Kidd. Well, the Suns ended up with Tom Gugliotta and Luc Longley. When Phoenix dropped from a .683 winning percentage in 1998 to a .540 winning percentage in 1999, the Suns overcompensated by signing Anfernee Hardaway to a contract worth more than $86M. About a year and a half later, the disappointing Longley was gone, Gugliotta was a shell of his former self after major knee surgery (and even his former, healthy self had been somewhat disappointing and overpriced), and Hardaway's second season as a Sun had seen him play in four games between Microfracture knee surgeries. By the summer of 2001, Phoenix had decided to rebuild and thus traded Kidd, and by 2002, the Suns were in the lottery.

Some of that disaster could be attributed to bad luck, but free agency is rarely a panacea. You want to be fiscally flexible enough where you can swoop in and sign a certain player should the situation arise, but you never want to place all your eggs in that basket. Indeed, I'd say that a better concept is to build through the draft, accumulate assets, and then consummate the right trades when they present themselves. Free agency, meanwhile, should be a bonus that you're economically elastic enough to examine, but one that you're never desperate for.

Just to correct myself, apparently Hardaway's four games played that year came after the two Microfracture knee surgeries; obviously, he needed more time to recover.