• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
was named the 2012 Sports Executive of the Year at the Sports Business Awards tonight in New York City, according to Sports Business Journal.

The other nominees:

Tim Finchem, PGA Tour
David Hill, Fox Sports
Larry Scott, Pac-12 Conference
Bud Selig, Major League Baseball

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of surprising considering how unpopular he is in a lot of circles.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he does as bad as everyone thinks

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm guessing Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, Vilma, James Harrison and Pac Man Jones were not voting for this award?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stern not being nominated is a sign this award has some integrity. NBA has been a disgrace the past year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is way too early to assess Goodell's performance; and, when his performance is assessed, it will be for reasons far different than what the common fan might view as a reason.

All things considered, I don't disagree with him receiving this award.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think even the people that don't like him, myself included, would agree that he's been extremely successful as a commissioner. I don't like how he steps on players to make the league look good to a fickle court of public opinion, nor his attitude in general. But the league is definitely well run.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I love what Larry Scott has done for the Pac-12. Not only was he able to land a great TV deal, 12 years/3 billion, with ESPN and Fox but he is also one of the driving forces behind a playoff system for college football.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There isn't a single legitimate reason people hate Roger Goodell so much. The NFL is the best run sport in this country by leaps and bounds.

I still haven't gotten an explanation from the guy who compared him to Hitler & said he was power hungry & attention starved.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love what Larry Scott has done for the Pac-12. Not only was he able to land a great TV deal, 12 years/3 billion, with ESPN and Fox but he is also one of the driving forces behind a playoff system for college football.

+1

And he's making the PAC-12 a bigger, more difficult conference.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern not being nominated is a sign this award has some integrity. NBA has been a disgrace the past year.

The NBA has been a disgrace much longer than that. Since the 90's that league has been on a steady decline. Anymore it isn't even real basketball, if you sell jerseys then you can get away with pretty much anything. I see Lebron take as many as 4-5 steps on his way to the rim, I see Dwight Howard take 3 nearly every time he touches the ball, I see both of them get away with offensive fouls constantly. It isn't just limited to those players, those are just two examples. NBA is pretty much unwatchable.

If you want real basketball you need to watch college. Everyone plays by the traditional rules and everyone is on the same playing field without an advantage from the refs. Although I do think they miss their fair share of calls (ie the NC game against Kentucky) they still routinely make the right ones.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There isn't a single legitimate reason people hate Roger Goodell so much. The NFL is the best run sport in this country by leaps and bounds.

As long as you realize those are mutually exclusive statements. Furthermore I explained above exactly why I "hate" him, and the reason appears to be legitimate.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stepping on a player - a player is down, in a tough situation, and the NFL "steps on him" to make itself look bigger. Severe punishments with the primary intent of improving their image, rather than serving justice. Donte Stallworth, Vick......or the very interesting case, Johnny Jolly, where both the NFL and the Texas Courts continually stepped on this guy to make an example of him to send a message about purple drank.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Stepping on a player - a player is down, in a tough situation, and the NFL "steps on him" to make itself look bigger. Severe punishments with the primary intent of improving their image, rather than serving justice. Donte Stallworth, Vick......or the very interesting case, Johnny Jolly, where both the NFL and the Texas Courts continually stepped on this guy to make an example of him to send a message about purple drank.

So you're saying that Goodell should have ignored NFL policy and not suspended any of these players, even though they committed crimes, because they were "in a tough situation?"

And what do the Texas Courts have to do with Roger Goodell?

Please take a look at what you 're saying. You're defending, and showing sympathy to, people who knowingly break the law. At the same time you're unbelieveably harsh towards a law abiding citizen who is only following the rules agreed upon by both parties. You reduce killing dogs, killing people people and drug trafficking to a "tough situation." THEY GOT THEMSELVES IN THAT TOUGH SITUATION!

And it's not like Goodell is throwing them in jail. It's not like he's firing them either. Most companies would have fired Stallworth & Vick. He made them sit out a while before they could go back to their super-rich profession. Boo hoo. This mentality of sympathy for criminals and contempt for any kind of punishment is pure stupidity. You're hastening the moral decline of this country.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"contempt for any kind of punishment". There you go, that's what I said! Not sure I said anything about Vick getting years in jail being unfair, but whatever.

You are very smart and a great debater.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
"contempt for any kind of punishment". There you go, that's what I said!

That's a good summation of what you said. You, like a lot of people tend to do, are calling the enforcer of rules essentially a tyrant, and you're reducing crimes to being "down" or in a "tough situation." In other words you're defending criminals and criticizing the just.

Not sure I said anything about Vick getting years in jail being unfair, but whatever.

I didn't say that either. What you did say is that he was "stepped on" by Goodell suspending him for a year.