• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell is just looking out for player safety

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't imagine why he wants to add more playoff teams and the extra games that would come with that move.... the NFL keeps 100% of the ticket revenue for playoff games.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't imagine why he wants to add more playoff teams and the extra games that would come with that move.... the NFL keeps 100% of the ticket revenue for playoff games.

I don't think words describe how much I dislike Goodell.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Tagliabue so much. I hate Goodell with a f'n passion.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't the guy. I'm starting to despise his version of the NFL, I think he is ruining it the same way Stern ruined the NBA.

But with that in mind, I think he's just continuing on down the path that Taglibue set in motion, this QB first league is bullshit, I hate it.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using Goodell's model, the Jets would make the playoffs if the season ended today, which would be completely unacceptable. Teams with losing records shouldn't make the playoffs because it makes the league/conference look weak and bloated with too many teams.

With the comically bad ideas he's been floating recently, it almost seems like Goodell is trying to create headlines to shift attention away from another story (the Bounty stuff?).

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Adding more teams to the playoffs will water down the NFL regular season akin to the NBA regular season.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In terms of quality of the game Goodell has been terrible but in terms of protecting the shield and making the shield more money he's been good at that.

We all know the NFL could absolutely care less about player safety but all these concussion tests and safety rules is just him getting in front of and protecting the league from further lawsuits so they can say in court they were proactive and did the best they could concerning the issue and the players suited up knowing full well the risks.

18 game regular season, Thursday night football, and expanded playoffs are all just ways to increase revenue. As much as we all would hate it we would still watch it and television deals would get done.

The expanded playoffs are the least likely to happen and part of me believes a lot of these things are said just to gauge reaction to it. I would say it's least likely to happen because it would be absolutely ruin the regular season.

If the first two seeded teams lose the bye their is little reason for teams to fight since teams with losing records could make it in the goal would just to be to make the playoffs.

Take this season and our position for example. With our current record we'd be in the playoffs so if I'm Harbaugh I'm starting to rest guys like Gore and Justin Smith (not shut them down but severely reduce their snap count) and reducing the snaps for guys with nagging injuries all the while not digging too deep in playbook to get ready for the playoffs.

The bye week is gone so the only thing to fight for would be homefield advantage and I would rather go on the road with a healthier fresh team then a beat up worn down team at home. Especially since in Candlestick where we don't really play all that much better at home then we do on the road.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding more teams to the playoffs will water down the NFL regular season akin to the NBA regular season.

Basically this...

however, IMO, hockey and basketball are more diverse with good clubs where as football there's a gap between the top teams and the average ones. You MAY get a freakish scenario like the Pats years ago about a wild card team with a real good record to miss out the playoffs.

Keep the format as is and let football play end by the first week of Feb. More games equates to more pressure, more vulnerability to injuries and more wear and tear for a physical contact sport...

Goodell is a douche.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't for the life of me can't understand why publicly acting like he cares about player safety and trying to add more games/teams/cities/playoffs is somehow hypocritical. I could maybe understand feeling that way if you took his words about player safety at face value, but I'm pretty sure most of us here sure don't so what's really at odds here?

He's a businessman trying to get more money for the business of which he's been charged to lead. Shitty human? Yeah. Liar? If you want to call PR moves to spin public opinion lies, then sure. Hypocrite? Don't see it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate the idea of watering down the playoffs

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the guy. He doesn't put up with any shit from the players. He's gotten rid of a lot of the Hip Hop gangster and thug wannabe mentality they have.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't for the life of me can't understand why publicly acting like he cares about player safety and trying to add more games/teams/cities/playoffs is somehow hypocritical. I could maybe understand feeling that way if you took his words about player safety at face value, but I'm pretty sure most of us here sure don't so what's really at odds here?

He's a businessman trying to get more money for the business of which he's been charged to lead. Shitty human? Yeah. Liar? If you want to call PR moves to spin public opinion lies, then sure. Hypocrite? Don't see it.

How is it not hypocritical? Goodell has diluted defensive football when it comes to hitting WRs and QBs in the name of safety, yet is hellbent on adding more games to the regular season, more games to the playoffs, more games overseas, and more games on Thursdays when players have shorter times to recover.

Goodell is claiming he's all about players safety, but his suggestions and aims are anything but. That is the epitome of hypocritical.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of quality of the game Goodell has been terrible but in terms of protecting the shield and making the shield more money he's been good at that.

The NFL is a money making machine. You would have to be a monkey to screw it up.