• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Expansion to 16 teams for 2020?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had read an article on NFL.com that due to potential games being lost or having to expand the season to 18 or 19 weeks in order to get all the games in due to COVID, they are thinking about expanding playoffs to 16 teams, 4 division winners and then 4 best records in the conference for this year only.

We still have yet to play:

Washington
Dallas
Miami
Houston
The NY Giants

Of course we have to play Pitt twice and Baltimore one more time also.

We are 2-5-1....if we are able to manage to beat the weaker teams like us, that puts us at 7-5-1. If we are just able to win 1 single game against Pitt or Baltimore, that would give us a 8-7-1 record. Is that good enough to maybe squeak into an 8 team playoff run?

Granted, we would be one and done as the format for that is #1 seed versus #8 seed, so we would have to beat the Chiefs or Pittsburgh probably to advance in the playoffs, which wouldn't happen with their offense and our defense for either team. Likelihood is slim we could make that kind of run, but what are we more concerned about at this point in a 2-5-1 season with a weak defense? However, should we be rooting for a massive turn around in the season to be one and done in the playoffs, or hope to achieve a top 8 to 10 pick to try and nab Ja'Marr Chase?

You imagine Burrow with Mixon and Bernard in the backfield with Boyd, Higgins, Tate and Chase on the outside? Granted, I know we have bigger needs than WR, such as Oline and defensive everywhere. But hard to pass up a Chase if he is available to give Burrow more weapons. Try to work on defense with money saved from letting Green, Ross, Dunlap, Jackson, and possible Atkins go. Use the rest of the draft to work on defense and offensive line along with FA.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know if I'd include Miami on the "should" win list given how well they're playing right now but with Burrow getting better every week and decisively beating a top tier team like the Titans this as optimistic as I've been in a longtime. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they make a run at playoff contention

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No games are "should win" for us. I am just saying if we are looking at teams with play similar to us, that these are games we could win.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not holding my breath.

Titan's started a losing streak before they played us, our OL needs to hold itself together and the defense will need to continue to find ways to not get run over by other teams.

First, we need to survive getting mass injuries from Pittsburgh. It always seems like they have bounties out on some of our players, and they know how to prey on the weaknesses of our more idiotic players, although we seem to have flushed many of Marvin's second chancers out.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No games are "should win" for us. I am just saying if we are looking at teams with play similar to us, that these are games we could win.
My bad. I thought those were the list of games we'd be favored in and the Dolphins looked out of place

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the team win more games than they lose in the second half of the season. A 5-3 end to the season would get ole Butch Hobson hard as a rock for the offseason.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the team win more games than they lose in the second half of the season. A 5-3 end to the season would get ole Butch Hobson hard as a rock for the offseason.
I'm kind of conflicted - at this point - higher the pick, the better off - maybe? I mean, wins are nice, but realistically this team isn't going anywhere, and while we want to see some improvement for sure - the draft pick would be more valuable long-term, IMO.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of conflicted - at this point - higher the pick, the better off - maybe? I mean, wins are nice, but realistically this team isn't going anywhere, and while we want to see some improvement for sure - the draft pick would be more valuable long-term, IMO.
The problem with the higher draft pick path is that, unless they are picking #1, there’s a 99% chance they mess up the pick.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the higher draft pick path is that, unless they are picking #1, there’s a 99% chance they mess up the pick.
Yeah.... I kinda think the Bengals comp pick hoarding strategy is them admitting they have a better chance finding a quality player if they're allowed to pick 13 times.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, but true story.

I'll still stand on this ground, though. If they finish with a top 5 pick, for example, they could at least potentially trade down and grab another late round 1st, or even an early 2nd and 3rd/4th. This team has some depth holes, and glaring holes to fill - so the more they can barter for the better.

Now, will that happen - probably not - but that's probably how it *should* go....lol

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, but true story.

I'll still stand on this ground, though. If they finish with a top 5 pick, for example, they could at least potentially trade down and grab another late round 1st, or even an early 2nd and 3rd/4th. This team has some depth holes, and glaring holes to fill - so the more they can barter for the better.

Now, will that happen - probably not - but that's probably how it *should* go....lol

right, the Bengals build through the draft, not FA. Free Agency is expensive, we pay top dollar for mediocre players who no longer give a shit, and the Brown Family isn't fond of that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, the Bengals build through the draft, not FA. Free Agency is expensive, we pay top dollar for mediocre players who no longer give a shit, and the Brown Family isn't fond of that.
I will say this - They spent this last off-season, and injuries are beyond control. Reader was a good signing, and if Atkins were healthy to start the year, that DL gets a major bump.

Same can be said, somewhat, for the DB's as their top CB they signed was lost for the year.

Bynes, I think, was a decent signing - and a lot of the younger LB's have praised him in helping them grow, and let's be honest - the LB's don't look nearly as bad as they have the past few years, so I think this signing has worked out.

I haven't been as impressed with Bell overall - but again, the secondary has also had their fair share of injuries.

So, they spend this offseason, and I think it was overall well spent. We'll see if they decide to go the same route with the OL. They don't owe on Dunlap (I think just 2mil in dead cap), Atkins could be gone, AJ isn't likely to re-sign - so there are going to be some contracts coming off the books that may allow for some wiggle room. Will they use it a 2nd straight year? Who knows - but if they are going to help Burrow stay upright - they HAVE to look at least to sign 1 upper tier OL - whatever the position.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this - They spent this last off-season, and injuries are beyond control. Reader was a good signing, and if Atkins were healthy to start the year, that DL gets a major bump.

Same can be said, somewhat, for the DB's as their top CB they signed was lost for the year.

Bynes, I think, was a decent signing - and a lot of the younger LB's have praised him in helping them grow, and let's be honest - the LB's don't look nearly as bad as they have the past few years, so I think this signing has worked out.

I haven't been as impressed with Bell overall - but again, the secondary has also had their fair share of injuries.

So, they spend this offseason, and I think it was overall well spent. We'll see if they decide to go the same route with the OL. They don't owe on Dunlap (I think just 2mil in dead cap), Atkins could be gone, AJ isn't likely to re-sign - so there are going to be some contracts coming off the books that may allow for some wiggle room. Will they use it a 2nd straight year? Who knows - but if they are going to help Burrow stay upright - they HAVE to look at least to sign 1 upper tier OL - whatever the position.

I wonder if they did better because other teams weren't blowing money r/t COVID

at least they tried to fill out the roster.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they did better because other teams weren't blowing money r/t COVID

at least they tried to fill out the roster.
Sometimes better lucky than good

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch any sports his weekend. did some hiking, running errands, and cleaning. Didn't even watch FCC, but I didn't have high hopes for them to win either.