• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good thing we used a top 10 pick on Ebron.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions coach Jim Caldwell wants to pass less in 2015.

Matthew Stafford attempted 602 passes last season, a four-year low, but also the fifth most in the league. "When I tell you that we're not going to throw the ball any more than we threw it (last year), that's a fact," Caldwell said. "If we do throw it more, that means we're behind, we're struggling, we're not winning, we're not a very good football team, plain and simple." Despite Caldwell's pleas for a more Cowboys-esque offense, we'd be shocked if Stafford didn't again finish in the top 7-8 in attempts.

Team design is to pass less and run more, uses a top 10 pick on a TE. Makes sense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Sigh)...thats crazy. They better draft a RB then.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I don't understand. I don't like the direction our offense has been heading, and it looks like no change is imminent. Our personell favors passing. I mean, that's not even close. Either Caldwell and Lombardi are really dumb, or they have zero faith in Stafford.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And furthermore, if they really are this dumb, then they need to call up Minnesota and tell them we'll give them Megatron for AP and a 2nd and 4th this year. Then draft OT, OG, OT, OG.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question, because I often wondered if this same problem existed w Schwartz, but is Mayhew simply not 100% on board w his head coaches plans?

We're seeing the Schwartz' D line being sent out of town, Caldwell runs a super conservative run first approach, and the first tool Mayhew hands him is a pass catching TE.

Makes you wonder.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And furthermore, if they really are this dumb, then they need to call up Minnesota and tell them we'll give them Megatron for AP and a 2nd and 4th this year. Then draft OT, OG, OT, OG.

Looks like RB, LT, LG and RT are huge issues now. And that's just the offense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team has always tried to improve the running because they don't have one and that's the only area where the offense needs improvement. I don't think Caldwell should say things like this but I get it. Being able to run the ball goes a long way.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question, because I often wondered if this same problem existed w Schwartz, but is Mayhew simply not 100% on board w his head coaches plans?

We're seeing the Schwartz' D line being sent out of town, Caldwell runs a super conservative run first approach, and the first tool Mayhew hands him is a pass catching TE.

I do. That's why Mayhew has tried very hard to get a RB in Detroit. I'm not sure what having a pass catching TE has to do with it though. Seattle just got their TE and they definitely run the ball. In fact, Seattle is trying to build a passing attack while the Lions are trying to build a run game.

Makes you wonder.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes you wonder.

Rob you make a lot of knee jerk comments...some good, some funny...and some off base but this comment is a spot on question.

It's as if Mayhew was told to hire Caldwell after missing on Whiz. Caldwell is conservative run first coach that wants ball control and limited turnovers.

The Lions have a big armed QB, a top WR, a top slot WR, a o-line that pass blocked well, and had a back that was known for his pass catching abilities in Bush. They then drafted a TE that was supposedly in the mold of Jimmy Graham, who had noted deficiencies in his blocking abilities.

I read what Caldwell said about Ebron but I don't buy it for a second. With what we saw last year I would think that either Martin or Lewan would have been Caldwell's choices. I wonder how much influence Caldwell has on draft day?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect that I would be the only one that would absolutely trade CJ right now to the Jets or Raiders hoping to get at least their 2nd rd this year (maybe more).

You do not keep a $20m, then $24m cap hit WR on a team wanting to run the ball more. But maybe we can resign Sims and solve the obvious problem that is our o-line.

That extra pick opens the door to several o-line possibilities that could be had in the 1st or 2nd and possibly one of the RB's. Can't run the ball if you can't block, that's pretty basic. Gurley nor Gordon are Barry Sanders who could make something out of absolutely nothing.

My personal opinion, Lions are not a playoff team this year against a much tougher schedule filled with teams who had winning records last year, and we have what, two wins against those teams in last three years?

Build a quality o-line to implement the lame ass offense that Caldwell wants to run that has destroyed every good offense he has even inherited. Just another positive for this team. Proud to be lumped into the hater club cause I see nothing to be optimistic about for 2015.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fellas, the Lions have been trying to find a run game for years now, so why wouldn't he say this? I think Mayhew and Caldwell are on the same page. Every team that can pass really well eventually tries to build a run game because you can't win without it. Every team that can run tries to build a pass game.

I didn't like the comment but when I thought about it more, I understand it. Running it more or passing it more really comes down to game planning anyway. But without a running game, the Lions won't win anything as I've already said.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes you wonder.

Either Mayhew is as dumb or dumber than some think, or without a doubt, Mayhew has final say on picks and expects his coaches to work around his guys. Passing attack, I say yes Ebron a good pick for your future vision. A first round TE from any draft slot that can not block good in a running offense makes no sense Rob.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fellas, the Lions have been trying to find a run game for years now, so why wouldn't he say this? I think Mayhew and Caldwell are on the same page. Every team that can pass really well eventually tries to build a run game because you can't win without it. Every team that can run tries to build a pass game.

I didn't like the comment but when I thought about it more, I understand it. Running it more or passing it more really comes down to game planning anyway. But without a running game, the Lions won't win anything as I've already said.

Are they showing their hand for a draft pick? Just might get that RB LS1... or at least by the second pick and a road grader in the first.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect that I would be the only one that would absolutely trade CJ right now to the Jets or Raiders hoping to get at least their 2nd rd this year (maybe more).

You do not keep a $20m, then $24m cap hit WR on a team wanting to run the ball more. But maybe we can resign Sims and solve the obvious problem that is our o-line.

That extra pick opens the door to several o-line possibilities that could be had in the 1st or 2nd and possibly one of the RB's. Can't run the ball if you can't block, that's pretty basic. Gurley nor Gordon are Barry Sanders who could make something out of absolutely nothing.

My personal opinion, Lions are not a playoff team this year against a much tougher schedule filled with teams who had winning records last year, and we have what, two wins against those teams in last three years?

Build a quality o-line to implement the lame ass offense that Caldwell wants to run that has destroyed every good offense he has even inherited. Just another positive for this team. Proud to be lumped into the hater club cause I see nothing to be optimistic about for 2015.

You opened my thinking box... I wake in the morning and I step outside Take a deep breath and get real high. I must be high to think it would happen, but one can dream.

Trade CJ with Raiders and swap firsts and get a 3rd or 4th round pick also and take Shelton at #5.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take Shelton at #5.

smitty in 5...4...3...2...1

angry-dwight.gif

makes me want that trade to happen even more now. nothing better than another 1st rd. DT, IMO. especially top 5 of draft

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been critical of the offense long before anyone else on this board. When we not even half way through last season I was saying that the offense was turning into a sputtering clusterfuck. Most everyone else (including most of the haters) was too high on Koolaid to notice because we were in first at the time and most were blaming the issues on the kickers.

I still dont know what to make of it. I will need to see what happens between now and the start of the season to see if any of it will make sense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob you make a lot of knee jerk comments...some good, some funny...and some off base but this comment is a spot on question.

It's as if Mayhew was told to hire Caldwell after missing on Whiz. Caldwell is conservative run first coach that wants ball control and limited turnovers.

The Lions have a big armed QB, a top WR, a top slot WR, a o-line that pass blocked well, and had a back that was known for his pass catching abilities in Bush. They then drafted a TE that was supposedly in the mold of Jimmy Graham, who had noted deficiencies in his blocking abilities.

I read what Caldwell said about Ebron but I don't buy it for a second. With what we saw last year I would think that either Martin or Lewan would have been Caldwell's choices. I wonder how much influence Caldwell has on draft day?

The oline did awful in pass pro.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smitty in 5...4...3...2...1

angry-dwight.gif

makes me want that trade to happen even more now. nothing better than another 1st rd. DT, IMO. especially top 5 of draft

I got my motives... Don't spoil my fun. I am trying to get the trademark on the first Padded Wagon on the Oregon trail.
He has the ring still, he can decode this...