• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good piece on the PED hysteria

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting spin that the ped users are attempting to attack the situation with - lol. They always say the best defense is a good offense.

The fact remains, however that the time has come for careful and methodical testing on athletes and weeding out those that violate their rules with the ped's. In the end the entire mlb gets hurt because it is hard to take teams going to the world series seriously when you know half of them are drug addicts

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting spin that the ped users are attempting to attack the situation with - lol. They always say the best defense is a good offense.

The fact remains, however that the time has come for careful and methodical testing on athletes and weeding out those that violate their rules with the ped's. In the end the entire mlb gets hurt because it is hard to take teams going to the world series seriously when you know half of them are drug addicts
Okay so we just need to weed out the violators of the rule then? So Bonds is cleared as he never failed a drug test nor did steroids against the rules of baseball correct?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter is blowing up with links to some Gabe Kapler article. Is one of the two links posted about to that?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter is blowing up with links to some Gabe Kapler article. Is one of the two links posted about to that?

Yup, the one in my post.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm especially happy how they point out the double standard with the NFL. Not nearly enough people in the media do that.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm especially happy how they point out the double standard with the NFL. Not nearly enough people in the media do that.

They never do, and especially with all the talk about trying to protect the players. "Player Safety!" BS, people want to talk about MLB turning a blind eye, the NFL has done just as good of a job at doing just that.

I'd say HGH and steroids are way more beneficial in the NFL than they are in MLB. But yet MLB gets scrutinized like no other when it comes to PEDs, yet the testing in the NFL is a joke compared to today's testing program in MLB.

I'd love for something to happen in the NFL that caused a stir up like what took place in baseball. Which would happen, People get all crazy like they did when it happened in baseball? Or would it be more accepted and looked less down on for baseball players?

I can't ever tell if people are as naïve as they appear, or are actually that hypocritical?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They never do, and especially with all the talk about trying to protect the players. "Player Safety!" BS, people want to talk about MLB turning a blind eye, the NFL has done just as good of a job at doing just that.

I'd say HGH and steroids are way more beneficial in the NFL than they are in MLB. But yet MLB gets scrutinized like no other when it comes to PEDs, yet the testing in the NFL is a joke compared to today's testing program in MLB.

I'd love for something to happen in the NFL that caused a stir up like what took place in baseball. Which would happen, People get all crazy like they did when it happened in baseball? Or would it be more accepted and looked less down on for baseball players?

I can't ever tell if people are as naïve as they appear, or are actually that hypocritical?
Can't it be both?

As for something happening in the NFL, I can't imagine it will ever occur unless Congress decides they want to waste taxpayer money again by sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. The fans will never care. The media will never care.

MAYBE if it came out that a prominent QB was using anabolic steroids, you'd get a little blip, but even that's unlikely as long as that QB was winning games. Or maybe if it came out that a shamed former player was a rabid PED user, the media would trash them retroactively (we've all seen how they love to do that). But that's all I can think of.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For one, I think it is because so much emphasis in baseball is put on personal achievements. Like, for example, when Emmitt broke Sweetness' record, there wasn't even close to the media frenzy hype as compared to when Sammy and McGwire were chasing Maris. Wasn't even close.

Another thing, and this just my personal opinion, but I think what really started the witch hunt was media hacks who were in love with Mark McGwire and hated Barry Bonds and didn't want Bonds breaking McGwire's record and were out to find anything they could to discredit him.

I don't think for one second they had any idea just what they were about to discover. Especially when it comes to 1998 and the Maris Chase.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, I think it is because so much emphasis in baseball is put on personal achievements. Like, for example, when Emmitt broke Sweetness' record, there wasn't even close to the media frenzy hype as compared to when Sammy and McGwire were chasing Maris. Wasn't even close.

Another thing, and this just my personal opinion, but I think what really started the witch hunt was media hacks who were in love with Mark McGwire and hated Barry Bonds and didn't want Bonds breaking McGwire's record and were out to find anything they could to discredit him.

I don't think for one second they had any idea just what they were about to discover. Especially when it comes to 1998 and the Maris Chase.
I get what you're saying to a large degree, but you lose me with the bolded comment. The writers all knew what was going on. They were in the locker rooms every day and at training camp every spring. They had their in-jokes and their sources, but kept quiet because a.) they didn't want to jeopardize their relationships with the players and source, and b.) hadn't yet realized how much money they could make by manufacturing the scandal.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying to a large degree, but you lose me with the bolded comment. The writers all knew what was going on. They were in the locker rooms every day and at training camp every spring. They had their in-jokes and their sources, but kept quiet because a.) they didn't want to jeopardize their relationships with the players and source, and b.) hadn't yet realized how much money they could make by manufacturing the scandal.

You very well could be right.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the article. I was expecting some profound revelation on the subject but instead found a bunch of self-serving bullshit about Gabe Kapler. Who gives a fuck?

JR Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so we just need to weed out the violators of the rule then? So Bonds is cleared as he never failed a drug test nor did steroids against the rules of baseball correct?

YES

You're getting it now. MLB has NEVER sanctioned Bonds.

JR Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What The Dumb Hysteria Over A-Rod And PEDs Is Really About

This is a well thought out piece about the PED witch hunt in baseball. It's not perfect, and there are some exaggerated elements, but it's a good read and says a lot that needs to be said about the people who get so fired up about the topic. Also points out the intense hypocrisy of the media.

The link is dead on. I've posted those same sentiments for years. Bonds NEVER was busted. Why does everyone act like he was.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The link is dead on. I've posted those same sentiments for years. Bonds NEVER was busted. Why does everyone act like he was.

Neither was Lance Armstrong. You're in serious denial, my friend.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because everyone wasn't born yesterday

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the date on this article? Some of this stuff is word for word from Bill Simmons' podcasts

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What The Dumb Hysteria Over A-Rod And PEDs Is Really About

This is a well thought out piece about the PED witch hunt in baseball. It's not perfect, and there are some exaggerated elements, but it's a good read and says a lot that needs to be said about the people who get so fired up about the topic. Also points out the intense hypocrisy of the media.

It is amazing that the article makes the same points I have made countless times and even on this forum. The PED hysteria as he succinctly points out stems from the intense hatred of Barry Bonds. Were McGwire the one who held the home run records for single season and all time, steroids would not have been hyped into a cult status by these holier than thou hypocrites in the media. It was only when Barry Bonds was roped in before these hypocrites made steroids into a cult status and the sycophantic fans who keep silent when a player on their team is caught started to run away with it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you understood what I said. The fact that the article is claiming ped hysteria is a slam on the drug testing system in the NBA by the drug users like Barry Bonds(Asshole Rod in New York comes to mind). That's there way of saying every one is over reacting to demanding a cleaner MLB. I support stronger drug testing and no I don't think there is a mass hysteria - in fact it's been the opposite - the players opposed mandated testing and stopped the MLB from starting it years before Congress forced them to.