• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good article on Rams Oline

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 NFL Draft: The Weird Love Triangle of Joe Barksdale, Greg Robinson and Jake Long

By 3k  Jan 22 2015, 11:18a

Brian Bahr/Getty Images

The Rams' O-line needs work. Everyone knows it. But where and how that work gets done will determine if the Rams can fix their blocking woes this offseason.

Draft season is a go. Sure, we've got the Super Bowl in about a week and a half, but Deflategate and Marshawn's junk...if you like actual football, it's all draft, baby.

With that being said, I thought it's a good time to address the addressing that's coming: the offensive line. We all know it's coming. Nearly every mock draft tells us it must be so. But there's an elephant in the room. Well, three actually. And those all stand in front of the draft decision.

Joe Barksdale

First things first (Iggy is not the realest, but that's not what I was referring to). Barksdale's a free agent and having established himself as the Rams' starting right tackle since 2013, his status has quite a bit of impact on what the Rams do with the line. Should he test the market and ultimately leave St. Louis, that tips over the first domino in pressuring some other decisions. If he stays though, the Rams can if nothing else scratch that need off the board.

There is a question as to his ceiling. The Rams have to decide if Barksdale was a stopgap RT that they're comfortable moving on from or if he's someone they can peg their offensive line successes to over the course of a new contract. A year ago, the similar question surrounded Rodger Saffold. And despite the failures of the Raiders to approach something near normal football operations, the Rams ended up putting him on a five-year deal north of $30 million. Decisions, decisions.

Jake Long

Speaking of decisions, the Rams have a decision to make on Jake Long as well. More importantly, Jake Long has a decision to make on Jake Long:

There has been speculation that veteran Jake Long — following yet another operation — might be considering retirement.

But Fisher said, "All indications are that he wants to come back." If that’s the case, Fisher said he felt Long could play guard or right tackle.

Those options are only there because Fisher has publicly said that Greg Robinson will be the Rams' starting left tackle in 2015. And considering the Rams are on the hook for $10m to Jake for 2015 (and that they'd shave more than $9m off the cap in cutting him...), there's change coming down this pipe. We'll have to see how it works out, but there's no question his role is completely up in the air.

Greg Robinson

Now let's be clear. Fisher's intimated that GRob is the Rams' left tackle. And despite his penchant for playing loose and fast with the media (it took exactly seven days to go from Fisher's comments that no changes were anticipated on the coaching staff to Schottey leaving for Georgia...), let's assume that he's being fully sincere. There's a fair question to be asked if Robinson's future is at left tackle.

Would he be better suited at right tackle or guard? Remember, Rodger Saffold was the Rams' entrenched left tackle not long ago. Things change. Even some of the things we're certain can't. I only bring this up because, perhaps not this offseason but down the line, GRob vacates that left tackle spot. For all the questions already plaguing the Rams' offensive line, that would be another interesting one that could have ramifications on this year's draft.

What it means for the 10th overall pick

One of the things working in the Rams' favor is time. Were the draft this weekend, we'd be in some trouble. All those questions loom large on the Rams. Consider that the Rams could lock up Barksdale and re-structure Jake Long. Why would the Rams then draft a tackle at 10? I'm no stranger to BPA, but with a #2 overall pick entering his second season at LT, a newly re-signed RT on a long-term deal and a reserve option who was considered one of the best in the game just a few years ago, tackle might not be a wise position to bolster with your first round pick.

And so it is. The Rams are angled towards a tackle with the 10th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft largely because they've got more questions than answers. And yet the real answers lie in between the tackle spots as they've only got one functioning guard in Rodger Saffold among the three positions.

Thanks for the time...
Turf Show Times 404! ... nsive-line

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 NFL Draft: The Weird Love Triangle of Joe Barksdale, Greg Robinson and Jake Long

By 3k  Jan 22 2015, 11:18a

Brian Bahr/Getty Images

The Rams' O-line needs work. Everyone knows it. But where and how that work gets done will determine if the Rams can fix their blocking woes this offseason.

Draft season is a go. Sure, we've got the Super Bowl in about a week and a half, but Deflategate and Marshawn's junk...if you like actual football, it's all draft, baby.

With that being said, I thought it's a good time to address the addressing that's coming: the offensive line. We all know it's coming. Nearly every mock draft tells us it must be so. But there's an elephant in the room. Well, three actually. And those all stand in front of the draft decision.

Joe Barksdale

First things first (Iggy is not the realest, but that's not what I was referring to). Barksdale's a free agent and having established himself as the Rams' starting right tackle since 2013, his status has quite a bit of impact on what the Rams do with the line. Should he test the market and ultimately leave St. Louis, that tips over the first domino in pressuring some other decisions. If he stays though, the Rams can if nothing else scratch that need off the board.

There is a question as to his ceiling. The Rams have to decide if Barksdale was a stopgap RT that they're comfortable moving on from or if he's someone they can peg their offensive line successes to over the course of a new contract. A year ago, the similar question surrounded Rodger Saffold. And despite the failures of the Raiders to approach something near normal football operations, the Rams ended up putting him on a five-year deal north of $30 million. Decisions, decisions.

Jake Long

Speaking of decisions, the Rams have a decision to make on Jake Long as well. More importantly, Jake Long has a decision to make on Jake Long:

There has been speculation that veteran Jake Long — following yet another operation — might be considering retirement.

But Fisher said, "All indications are that he wants to come back." If that’s the case, Fisher said he felt Long could play guard or right tackle.

Those options are only there because Fisher has publicly said that Greg Robinson will be the Rams' starting left tackle in 2015. And considering the Rams are on the hook for $10m to Jake for 2015 (and that they'd shave more than $9m off the cap in cutting him...), there's change coming down this pipe. We'll have to see how it works out, but there's no question his role is completely up in the air.

Greg Robinson

Now let's be clear. Fisher's intimated that GRob is the Rams' left tackle. And despite his penchant for playing loose and fast with the media (it took exactly seven days to go from Fisher's comments that no changes were anticipated on the coaching staff to Schottey leaving for Georgia...), let's assume that he's being fully sincere. There's a fair question to be asked if Robinson's future is at left tackle.

Would he be better suited at right tackle or guard? Remember, Rodger Saffold was the Rams' entrenched left tackle not long ago. Things change. Even some of the things we're certain can't. I only bring this up because, perhaps not this offseason but down the line, GRob vacates that left tackle spot. For all the questions already plaguing the Rams' offensive line, that would be another interesting one that could have ramifications on this year's draft.

What it means for the 10th overall pick

One of the things working in the Rams' favor is time. Were the draft this weekend, we'd be in some trouble. All those questions loom large on the Rams. Consider that the Rams could lock up Barksdale and re-structure Jake Long. Why would the Rams then draft a tackle at 10? I'm no stranger to BPA, but with a #2 overall pick entering his second season at LT, a newly re-signed RT on a long-term deal and a reserve option who was considered one of the best in the game just a few years ago, tackle might not be a wise position to bolster with your first round pick.

And so it is. The Rams are angled towards a tackle with the 10th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft largely because they've got more questions than answers. And yet the real answers lie in between the tackle spots as they've only got one functioning guard in Rodger Saffold among the three positions.

Thanks for the time...
Turf Show Times 404! ... nsive-line

I saw this. I was surprised they are thinking about having J. Long play Rt tackle or even guard if he restructures.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this. I was surprised they are thinking about having J. Long play Rt tackle or even guard if he restructures.

I suppose if he can pass a physical and prove himself 100% healthy that moving him to OG would be cheaper than going after Iupati or Carpenter (who we know won't sign with us anyway). I just REALLY want some youth,agressiveness and athleticism infused into the O line. I do not want Wells,Long,Joseph or Barksdale back. Of the four, give me Long and plug him back in at RT and then draft Scherff,Peat,Collins or Clemmings in round 1 and put them at RG and let Long teach them. At his best, he was a top 5 OT in the NFL so I am sure he knows a thing or two about technique and such.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I wrote this article. LOVE IT!

Everything from recognizing GRob should be the LT but doubting JFish's real goal with him. If the kid doesn't play LT this year then why on G-ds green Earth did we draft him second overall!

I think we should resign Barksdale and he should be the RT

I think Long should be cut - if not he's deal needs to be redone and he can compete for the other OG spot.

If we do that, we still need to draft a center but at that point, we're looking good.

1st round we DO NOT need to draft another LT prospect!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ksu we have to bring back a couple of those guys. I see Barksdale, Saffold, Jones, Barnes, and GR back. The other guys can all walk for all I care. However, If we let all Long, Wells and Joseph walk that leaves a lot of glaring holes on our Oline and it's not something we can simply fill via the draft in one year. It will be interesting to see how the rams FO fixes this problem.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suppose if he can pass a physical and prove himself 100% healthy that moving him to OG would be cheaper than going after Iupati or Carpenter (who we know won't sign with us anyway). I just REALLY want some youth,agressiveness and athleticism infused into the O line. I do not want Wells,Long,Joseph or Barksdale back. Of the four, give me Long and plug him back in at RT and then draft Scherff,Peat,Collins or Clemmings in round 1 and put them at RG and let Long teach them. At his best, he was a top 5 OT in the NFL so I am sure he knows a thing or two about technique and such.

Why do you want to draft top talent LTs and plug them in the middle of the line?
We can get top talent in the inside on Day Two of the draft!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you want to draft top talent LTs and plug them in the middle of the line?
We can get top talent in the inside on Day Two of the draft

Only reason I would do that is IF we do not bring back guys like Barksdale or Long. All 4 of the top OT in the draft have played LT, RT and OG in their college career. If we were to resign Barksdale and get Long to restructure and play OG (which he has said he would be amenable to) then you have to look at OLB like Shaq Thompson or Vic Beasley in the first round and draft either Reese Dismukes or Cameron Erving to play C and you would be set.

However, if you are not able to resign Barksdale and Long decides to retire, you MUST grab one of the 4 top OT and put them at RT immediately if not sooner.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can get top talent in the inside on Day Two of the draft!

My thoughts exactly. It seems we are so desperate to improve the line that we're throwing assets away to put LT prospects inside or at RT.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding onto a guy like Long to play him at guard when there is a guy sitting out there like Iupati is still more of the same stuff we have been discussing all along about this organization. When presented with the option of vastly improving, they get stuck with things do not matter in the long run whether it be the draft or FA. This has been going on for nearly two decades and I am not sure if it will ever be fixed.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding onto a guy like Long to play him at guard when there is a guy sitting out there like Iupati is still more of the same stuff we have been discussing all along about this organization.

Retro, there is the rub. Looking back the last 20 years, when has ANY top tier, major free agent signed here?? Think back to last year, we ALL wanted Jarius Bryd or Alteronn Verner. We knew that they were NEVER going to sign here. We can pound our fists all we want and say "go sign Iupati" or "go sign James Carpenter" or "go sign Jason Worilds" but realistically none of those cats are signing here. We will be lucky to sign dudes like O'Brien Schofield at OLB, Gabe Carimi or Vladamir DuCasse at OG or Doug Legursky at C. It is just the way it is. Hopefully Snead (and Iupati or Carpenter) make a splash this off season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point KSUDodgers. It is the way it is and it is one of many factors that contribute to 7-9, 6-10 seasons year in and year out.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would spend every pick on the O-line with the exception of a QB, OLB and a MLB to learn from Lil Animal.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would spend every pick on the O-line with the exception of a QB, OLB and a MLB to learn from Lil Animal.

I actually agree there Blue.. I am of the opinion that we will trade down in round 1, snag a nice package of middle and late round picks (2nd, 4th and 6th lets say) and go O line with 3 of the first 5 picks, and grab a QB and OLB/MLB as well.
Something like this:

trade to 13 - LaEl Collins, OT/OG from LSU
our 2nd (#8) - Eric Kendricks OLB/MLB from UCLA or Eli Harold OLB Virginia
other 2nd - Reese Dismukes, C Auburn or Cameron Erving C/OG from Florida St
3rd - Bryce Petty, QB Baylor
4th - Aaron Lockett WR/KR/PR from Kansas St
5th- Jamil Douglas OG from Arizona St
6th- J.R. Tavai OLB USC
7th- Deshazor Everett, FS/CB Texas

I think if our draft looks something close to that and Sam stays healthy (fingers crossed), we are fighting for the division title and a playoff spot.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That scenario would be just as good as the many other ones you have presented Commish!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i look all over the board and every team wants Iupati. He's gonna be really expensive even with cap cuts

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That scenario would be just as good as the many other ones you have presented Commish!

I know, I know. I tend to go a little "mock draft" crazy. To me, other than Dismukes or Erving in the 2nd and Petty or Garrett Grayson in the 3rd, the names themselves do not matter as much as the positions. I feel like if Snead comes out of the draft with at least 2 starting caliber o linemen, an OLB to replace Dunbar, a cover DB, depth at WR and ST and another LB to learn from JL55 while getting some playing time on the outside then we will be GOLDEN.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Grayson > Petty and think getting a center is a MUST.

You're right, if Barksdale isn't retained then we gotta reconsider the viewpoint

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannion played quite well behind that SEC leftside Oline they had today. Petty looked a little better but struggled a tad. Dismukes looked good at center and Le'al Collins was a beast. These guys are both attainable and we should get them both or Scherff if he falls as well.