• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf is about to explode with young guns.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To give you an idea here are some of the other players who have much better resumes and not nearly the reputation as a top player that Fowler has:

Hideki Matsuyama: 5 wins by age 26
John Rham: 5 wins by age 24
DeChambeau: 5 wins by 25

Yet Fowler is regarded as a better player, the casual fan knows his name but will not recognize the name John Rham. Fowler is in the conversation with the likes of Justin Thomas and Jordan Speith when his career is nowhere close to theirs. Or those of the players above.

Fiction can be fuuuuuun, because now you’re lying. If you were honest, you’d say Rahm has only 3 PGA tour victories, not 5 (8 total professional wins). Fowler has 5 PGA and 9 total professional. And shut up with the nonsense Rahm doesn’t get same name recognition, of course he doesn’t he’s a Spaniard and still plays several Euro tour events a year. Plus Rahm hasn’t made any big splashes in a major yet and his 3 PGA wins came at lesser events.

Bryson Dechambeau to his credit has passed Fowler in media attention. Hideki has equally impressive career but he’s Asian, doesn’t move the dial here for ratings. And you’re being super disingenuous when you say Fowler’s career is regarded as one to the likes of JT and Speith. No it’s not, no golf analyst or writer is that stupid, he’s best friends with those guys. You’re lumping him in talent wise because he gets mentioned a lot in the same breath of those guys.

But I proved my point, you found only two players with as many wins and you had to lie on third. So as you can see, Fowler is in rare company accomplishment wise.

Reactions: GNG

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To give you an idea here are some of the other players who have much better resumes and not nearly the reputation as a top player that Fowler has:

Hideki Matsuyama: 5 wins by age 26
John Rham: 5 wins by age 24
DeChambeau: 5 wins by 25

Yet Fowler is regarded as a better player, the casual fan knows his name but will not recognize the name John Rham. Fowler is in the conversation with the likes of Justin Thomas and Jordan Speith when his career is nowhere close to theirs. Or those of the players above.

Fowler is more well known than Mat, Rham, and DeChambeau is because he's been on the tour longer, he's played on big stages in Ryder Cups/Pres Cups.

But I don't think he's regarded as a better player.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler is more well known than Mat, Rham, and DeChambeau is because he's been on the tour longer, he's played on big stages in Ryder Cups/Pres Cups.

But I don't think he's regarded as a better player.
giphy.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His earnings are not relevant to the discussion. He has huge endorsement deals because he is considered a top player, hence my comment that he is over-rated. He is a very good player but simply not the player his reputation and earnings would suggest. Again most everyone saw more than 5 wins when he came on the scene 11 seasons ago. He is seen on the leader board in majors constantly yet he never delivers. I like Ricky I really do but he is simply not a top player.

The endorsements don't not line up with his success on the tour...I'll give you that, but I think that's a positive, not a negative...it certainly doesn't make him over rated.

Not a Top Player...you earn what ever you get on the golf course in professional golf....his participation in WGC events for the last 4 or 5 yrs is proof of his performance over a long period of time...he's not a one hit wonder, you have to perform to stay in the those events as long as he has.

I know we're focusing on PGAT wins, but he also has 2 Euro tour wins.

How we feel about a player I guess matters, but his body of work is what it is regardless of that...I think you missed the mark on most overrated.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better term for Fowler would be he is 'overhyped' rather than 'overrated.'

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler is a star player.
He is not a superstar player....yet.

If he wins the British this week or the Masters next April, that will change.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good choice...the media is not really creating expectations of a win when the majors come around...of course they always mention he doesn't have one, but Rory, DJ, and a few others come up when projecting a winner.

My initial thought was over exposed, but that and overhyped are kinda in the same vein.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler is a star player.
He is not a superstar player....yet.

If he wins the British this week or the Masters next April, that will change.

Interesting that you brought this up.
I think he could be a sneaky pick this week.
Nothing like seeing a bunch of young guns steal all the headlines, to light a fire under his butt.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fiction can be fuuuuuun, because now you’re lying. If you were honest, you’d say Rahm has only 3 PGA tour victories, not 5 (8 total professional wins). Fowler has 5 PGA and 9 total professional. And shut up with the nonsense Rahm doesn’t get same name recognition, of course he doesn’t he’s a Spaniard and still plays several Euro tour events a year. Plus Rahm hasn’t made any big splashes in a major yet and his 3 PGA wins came at lesser events.

Bryson Dechambeau to his credit has passed Fowler in media attention. Hideki has equally impressive career but he’s Asian, doesn’t move the dial here for ratings. And you’re being super disingenuous when you say Fowler’s career is regarded as one to the likes of JT and Speith. No it’s not, no golf analyst or writer is that stupid, he’s best friends with those guys. You’re lumping him in talent wise because he gets mentioned a lot in the same breath of those guys.

But I proved my point, you found only two players with as many wins and you had to lie on third. So as you can see, Fowler is in rare company accomplishment wise.

Calm down already, I was not aware that you were Fowler's brother. He has the talent of Speith or Thomas, perhaps more. But he just doesn't get it done when in contention on Sundays nearly enough. With all this ability he should have won more by now and I'm hardly the only person with this opinion. He has the name recognition (casual fans know the name Folwler, they do not know the name DeChambeau) and endorsements as if he's a top player like Speith when he isn't and that's my point.

Last edited:

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you are old when you get excited about golf
I think you are correct sir. I am old, 50,and I ONLY care about golf. I lost all interest in team sports about 10 years ago, for a whole bunch of reasons that i won't bore you with now. Anyway I l love watching golf( and playing). I would choose watching the Masters or The Ryder Cup over the Superbowl at this point in my life. I can't even remember who was in last years World Series and I used to love baseball. I do remember that Clemson beat Alabama in college football , I remember that because I was happy that Saban lost. And I have no idea who won the ncaa basketball tourney.

But I'll be up at 1am U.S. time starting this Wed night hanging on every damn shot that Rory or Brooks or DJ or Spieth or Molinari hits! Yup, I'm old and I'm a golfaholic.

GettinSquirrely

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct sir. I am old, 50,and I ONLY care about golf. I lost all interest in team sports about 10 years ago, for a whole bunch of reasons that i won't bore you with now. Anyway I l love watching golf( and playing). I would choose watching the Masters or The Ryder Cup over the Superbowl at this point in my life. I can't even remember who was in last years World Series and I used to love baseball. I do remember that Clemson beat Alabama in college football , I remember that because I was happy that Saban lost. And I have no idea who won the ncaa basketball tourney.

But I'll be up at 1am U.S. time starting this Wed night hanging on every damn shot that Rory or Brooks or DJ or Spieth or Molinari hits! Yup, I'm old and I'm a golfaholic.

Haha I'm starting to care about golf more and more now... there's something about the individual playing against the pack compared to team sports that is giving me more of a thrill. And I'm not even that old!

I'm pushing big on Rory to win it all this weekend, although Koepka has been hot lately. I was checking out the odds here 2019 British Open Odds Preview For Golf Betting Online and I couldn't help but put some money on Rory

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a few yrs older (56, birthday in a couple weeks)...At one time in my life I was a huge MLB fan, and a pretty big NBA fan...now, I'll watch both sports during the post season, but not much else. I still like the NFL the most as a spectator sport, but I'm a golf head through and through. I would play golf and tape the football game, but Superbowl idk...fortunately the game comes on so late that it would never interfere with me playing golf.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I'm starting to care about golf more and more now... there's something about the individual playing against the pack compared to team sports that is giving me more of a thrill. And I'm not even that old!

I'm pushing big on Rory to win it all this weekend, although Koepka has been hot lately. I was checking out the odds here 2019 British Open Odds Preview For Golf Betting Online and I couldn't help but put some money on Rory
Nice! I scattered a few sheckles myself on Rory,Molinari,and I have a sneaky hunch about Adam Scott for some reason.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed and he was over-hyped due to his style and sex appeal imo.. basically, the chicks dig him. I don't think any analysts expected him to be the next Tiger.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! I scattered a few sheckles myself on Rory,Molinari,and I have a sneaky hunch about Adam Scott for some reason.

Rory has the history there...I have no clue what this course is going to play like...weather will be a factor which is nice (for an Open)...I like Rory as well if I were laying coin, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Rahm win it. I think Keopka's caddie has some local knowledge and TW was trying to get a practice round with him and was denied...love it!

Final 2019 Major!