• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

going overboard...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you don't consider his past play or game managerisms. Also, you should ignore the people below him on the list... In fact, ignore those above him, too and it sounds just about right. If there were no other qb's in the league, #6 sounds about right. :) Just kidding. I'm one of the bigger Niner player defenders (aka homer when it comes to players but not so in regard to former coaches and management or team play), but I don't think he's #6.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see a reasonable argument to have him in the top 10. That's way too high, but he is doing a better job than just about any QB in the league when it comes to limiting mistakes and turnovers.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not if you don't consider his past play or game managerisms. Also, you should ignore the people below him on the list... In fact, ignore those above him, too and it sounds just about right. If there were no other qb's in the league, #6 sounds about right. :) Just kidding. I'm one of the bigger Niner player defenders (aka homer when it comes to players but not so in regard to former coaches and management or team play), but I don't think he's #6.

Repped for clever use of sarcasm!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see anything wrong with his position in the rankings up to this point in the season.... would we like more throwing TDs? sure... but if we're getting them on the run game or elsewhere, then we can't do anything about it....

6-1.... 6 n freakin 1......let's enjoy this ride!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I go back and forth on Smith. He's been kind of shaky, seemingly more so in the last three games than in the first four, curiously. That said, every time we've needed him to make a play, he's done it. His numbers aren't gaudy, and frankly he's pretty lucky he doesn't have a couple more INTs. But he's also unlucky not to have a few more TD passes, too. At the end of the day, there are still probably eight or nine QBs I'd take ahead of him right now (taking into account their numbers this season and needing a win on this Niners team today, not considering the future) without even thinking about it, and several more who would seriously tempt me.

That said, how many times in knocking Smith have people pointed to his record? Well, now he's on the other side of that and I think he deserves a fair bit of credit for it. He sparked the comeback against the Eagles, dominated TB early, and made a great throw in the clutch to beat Detroit - after Walker dropped a sure TD and Crabtree double-hopped but didn't get both feet in. If either of those were catches, it changes the game entirely.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smith is tough to categorize and rank because of the type of offense we run.

Clearly he's not on Rodgers' and Brady's level but I have a tough time putting him in game manager level because this is clearly what we want on offense and I don't get the impression we're dramatically scaling anything back due to Smith.

What we're doing now is what Harbaugh basically wants in a physical power running game with a QB that we want to make accurate high percentage throws to keep the chains moving. It's not like Harbaugh's offense is a high flying offense and we've had to scale it down because Smith is our QB.

So I have a tough time knocking a guy for not doing something he's not asked to do in the first place. That doesn't mean he hasn't earn some criticism as he does look shaky at times and I do feel he leaves some plays on the table but a 9 to 2 TD to INT ratio, a few comeback wins, a 6-1 start it's hard to not say he hasn't done a pretty good job up to this point even if the stat line isn't gaudy.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see anything wrong with his position in the rankings up to this point in the season.... would we like more throwing TDs? sure... but if we're getting them on the run game or elsewhere, then we can't do anything about it....

6-1.... 6 n freakin 1......let's enjoy this ride!

Shouldn't Smith be #2 in that case?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny when we first started winning games everyone was complaining we got no attention from the media. Now that we're getting the attention we don't want it anymore?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see a reasonable argument to have him in the top 10. That's way too high, but he is doing a better job than just about any QB in the league when it comes to limiting mistakes and turnovers.

I can see putting him in the top 10 for this year. If he shouldered all the blame for all the losing, then he should deserve a little credit for the 49ers being 6-1 and only having 2 INTs on the year.

But, above Drew Brees? That guy is smoking crack. I don't care if Brees has had a couple off games this year, he is 2nd in the league in TD passes and 1st in the league in yards.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith > Brees

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

wow!?!

Just wow.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can see putting him in the top 10 for this year. If he shouldered all the blame for all the losing, then he should deserve a little credit for the 49ers being 6-1 and only having 2 INTs on the year.

But, above Drew Brees? That guy is smoking crack. I don't care if Brees has had a couple off games this year, he is 2nd in the league in TD passes and 1st in the league in yards.

This...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't Smith be #2 in that case?

Didn't say he should be #2... if you want to go by record yes...

I was responding to some who doubted or find flaws in putting Alex in the top 10, #6 which really doesn't mean much that's why it referred to as top 10 but anyways.... Why not put Alex in the top 10? he's played well enough for us and has his team at 6-1...

At 6-1, some still want to crack on Alex... He's not the greatest QB, but lighten up, no one will give him his credit or due, its like he cannot improve or be successful by law or something lol....

we're 6-1, fucking enjoy it, some of us were playing NFL gameday when the Niners had a record like that or close to it last.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Alex is whatever he is doing this year is helping us win. Who says a QB needs to throw for 300+ yards and 2 TD's a game to win? Plenty of QB's have done that over the years and lost.

Alex has been making the plays in the passing game as we've needed them, and regardless of how you perceive it managing the game is the best thing a QB can do for his team. We win games by controlling the clock with our running game and by controlling field position to let our D dominate. We control that position by not turning the ball over and not having many 3 and outs. We've been very successful at both so far this season.

One thing to look forward to though is seeing Alex improve from this. This is the first time in his career he has had success and seems comfortable in an offense. Who else besides me was pumping their fist and screaming with joy as they watched Alex run and dive for that first down against the Browns? Going back just a year ago he probably would have thrown the ball away or tried to force something down the field. The fact that he took off is showing that he is starting to react to the game instead of having to think about it.

The guy was the #1 pick for a reason and was seen as a better prospect than Rodgers by more teams than just us. I think that was a mistake as I doubt he ever reaches Rodgers level of play, but I still have hopes he reaches a top 10 status among his peers. The way he is playing this year suggest that is still possible especially considering this coaching staff is probably not going anywhere soon on him.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a problem with it. His list isn't who you want to be on your team, it's who is playing the best. Smith is playing pretty good football right now. Brees has 10 turnovers already and is averaging 35 attempts a game. If Smith was down the list a bit, I wouldn't think that was off either. This year is a pretty crazy year. It's tough to pick the second best team in the NFL just as it is tough to pick the top QB right now with guys having big numbers but a bad record or a lot of turnovers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thought we were through with those thousands of Alex Smith posts? :-)

yeah ok, QB's are the lightning rod of posts, if you're bad you get roasted, if you're getting better you still get roasted............for not getting even better. haaa

trust me.........i'm fu***** enjoying it!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought we were through with those thousands of Alex Smith posts? :-)

yeah ok, QB's are the lightning rod of posts, if you're bad you get roasted, if you're getting better you still get roasted............for not getting even better. haaa

trust me.........i'm fu***** enjoying it!

Repped! Luv the energy!

I think that's the first time I've read Deep curse!!!! :heh:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree he is higher than some guys that you just can't have him above. Drew Brees in particular is a good argument. This seems to follow closer to the Power Rankings that some of us have been so fond of this year due to the fact that we are on the top half of that for the first time in almost a decade.