• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GOAT BEFORE Jordan

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone old enough to watch the NBA in the early 80's or before, who did you rank as the GOAT and is that player still in your top 10?

I have Dr J. I'd probably rank him 6 or 7 now. Before the likes of lebron, Kobe and Duncan

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone old enough to watch the NBA in the early 80's or before, who did you rank as the GOAT and is that player still in your top 10?

I have Dr J. I'd probably rank him 6 or 7 now. Before the likes of lebron, Kobe and Duncan
I think i would go either Kareem or Magic

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Dr J pick.

I have said more than once, Dr J was doing Jordanesque things with the basketball back when they still called traveling violations.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Kareem, that's my dawg" - Kurupt

Before Jordan, I would think it's a toss up between Kareem and Magic. Wilt probably 3rd. After that it's debatable.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing is that Bill Russell was legitimately in the conversation back then. In fact, I think most had him ahead of Kareem and Wilt. Times have changed.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing is that Bill Russell was legitimately in the conversation back then. In fact, I think most had him ahead of Kareem and Wilt. Times have changed.

It's crazy to look at Kareem's resume and him NOT be universally and unequivocally considered the GOAT. Crazy.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, was he really BETTER?

Yes, he won more.

This isn't one of this hypothetical debates of players across different generations.

We have years worth of head to head statistical data that clearly shows who was better.

This is not Duncan vs. Malone where Tiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmy's rings are the deciding factor.

Outside of Championships, this is a fucking slaughter.

Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell Comparison

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he won more.

This isn't one of this hypothetical debates of players across different generations.

We have years worth of head to head statistical data that clearly shows who was better.

This is not Duncan vs. Malone were Tiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmy's rings are the deciding factor.

Russell is the NBA greatest winner & nothing else. Wilt was better than him & I'd put the Big O ahead of Russell as well.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is probably Wilt or Kareem...Loved Dr. J though.
For whatever reason, Dr. J falls in the Dominique Wilkins category for some.

* Dr. J was better of course*

His greatness has always been overshadowed by bigger personalities and he never gets his due.

For while there, I thought Durant would fall victim to this too.

Maybe that's why he joined the NBA version of the greatest show on Turf?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell is the NBA greatest winner & nothing else. Wilt was better than him & I'd put the Big O ahead of Russell as well.
Yeah....I like that, Wamu.

The greatest Winner.

He wasn't a Robert Horry type ring collecting role player.

He was essential to their success.

But, he wasn't better than Wilt nor KAJ either.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....I like that, Wamu.

The greatest Winner.

He wasn't a Robert Horry type ring collecting role player.

He was essential to their success.

But, he wasn't better than Wilt nor KAJ either.

Horry was a ring collector but in none of his stops was as overall important as Russell was to the Celtics.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horry was a ring collector but in none of his stops was as overall important as Russell was to the Celtics.
Let's not forget that old Bill won two NCAA titles and a Gold medal as well.

He wasn't a scrub and I would never try to disparage his achievements.

Dude was the ultimate winner.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that old Bill won two NCAA titles and a Gold medal as well.

He wasn't a scrub and I would never try to disparage his achievements.

Dude was the ultimate winner.

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now. Why do some people discredit Russell's career by saying he played against a talentless NBA during his era? Wouldn't the same thing apply to UCLA & their 10 titles in 12 years? Not stirring anything up, just asking a legit question.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Kareem, that's my dawg" - Kurupt

Before Jordan, I would think it's a toss up between Kareem and Magic. Wilt probably 3rd. After that it's debatable.

This. If Dr. J had played his whole career in the NBA, he would've been a stronger argument.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why I didn't think of this until now. Why do some people discredit Russell's career by saying he played against a talentless NBA during his era? Wouldn't the same thing apply to UCLA & their 10 titles in 12 years? Not stirring anything up, just asking a legit question.

I don't know if that's why they discredit him (if they do). They do downplay his ring totals, as the Celtics were loaded with stars back then. Plus, his strengths (rebounds and defense) aren't sexy enough. .44 shooting % for a big is pretty poor as well.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if that's why they discredit him (if they do). They do downplay his ring totals, as the Celtics were loaded with stars back then. Plus, his strengths (rebounds and defense) aren't sexy enough. .44 shooting % for a big is pretty poor as well.

I think it also has to do with his height and stature. Russell was a phenomenal athlete by everyone's recounting of him, but he was 6'10", 220lbs in his playing days.

For body comparison, Tristan Thompson is 6'9", 238lbs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he won more.

This is not Duncan vs. Malone where Tiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmy's rings are the deciding factor.

Of course not.

It is just that back then people made decisions on GOAT almost exclusively based on team success. There is much more information available today that allow us to better analyze players and compare them.

My prediction is that 20 years from now, ring count will be even less important than it is today. Especially if superteams continue to be a thing. The best players won't necessarily be able to win every year, because there may be more dominant teams out there. Like the 60s Celtics or the current Warriors.