• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GNT: Penguins vs Canucks | 10/6 | 7:00pm PT | on CBC

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned the ice...it looked horrrrrrrrrible. Guys were constantly falling down. This game definitely looked like the first game of the season though. The Pens NEED Orpik back, because while the goals actually happened against our top pairing of Martin/Michalek, that bottom pairing is brutal to watch. Also, agreed about Geno. He looked really, really, really great at many points of the game, especially early. I think having to keep the Sedins in check just caught up. That and the fatigue factor, which seemed to catch up to both teams...because that game got SLOW.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned the ice...it looked horrrrrrrrrible. Guys were constantly falling down. This game definitely looked like the first game of the season though. The Pens NEED Orpik back, because while the goals actually happened against our top pairing of Martin/Michalek, that bottom pairing is brutal to watch. Also, agreed about Geno. He looked really, really, really great at many points of the game, especially early. I think having to keep the Sedins in check just caught up. That and the fatigue factor, which seemed to catch up to both teams...because that game got SLOW.

Like you said...it was the first game of the regular season,so it will get better.:pray2:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

didnt see that at all ... ice got tilted ... one team got slow

canucks came out dopey ... having your vets play only 2 preseason games will do that to you ... but by the 3rd period they were skating circles around the pens

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm Luongo is such a perfectionist why doesnt he practice the shooutout... and handling the puck and goals from behind...... sigh

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gladly take the two points out fo Vancouver. But, the Pens have some work to do. And, the Canucks are just still good at what they do, offensive and neutral zones. Pens didn't have time to blink in the neutral zone, good pressure from the Canucks all game. Pens had their moments no doubt, the 1st period looked good, 2nd period had some times of good pressure, but the 3rd, Fleury came up big. Malkin is indeed flying out there, but I think he heard all the 'experts' picking him, something happened from preseason to this game, at times he thought he was the only Penguin on the ice. Game 1 excitement, he'll get over that. Vitale looks like a capable 4th line center. Pens did some real good things to build off of, Fleury strong out of the gates. Canucks, strong out of the gate, BobbyLou has to be better.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

canucks came out dopey ... having your vets play only 2 preseason games will do that to you ... but by the 3rd period they were skating circles around the pens

I agree, but the game overall slowed down about halfway through the second, the Nucks certainly were the better team from about 10 minutes into the third and through OT.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Nucks did that a lot last year, too. got stronger as the game went on.
That wizardous Sedinery will grind away at d-men. :)
we just can't afford to come out quite so slowly.
(and give up two cheeseballs)

hmmm Luongo is such a perfectionist why doesnt he practice the shooutout... and handling the puck and goals from behind...... sigh

I think that's a great thing that the Pens do.
a LOT of breakaway drill, and they make it fun (elimination drills, bragging rights, etc).
MAF is phenomenal at shootouts, and it gives Byklsma a lot of options for shooters as well.

I did notice that AV put Hodgson in a position to be the hero (3rd shooter).

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, why Samuelson for your first shooter? He doesn't even have a good history based on career numbers. In a shootout, first goal is vital...I honestly don't know about the twins in the SO, but hey, you got two of 'em!

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm Luongo is such a perfectionist why doesnt he practice the shooutout...

botchford said it best this am

Luongo goes from protecting 4x6 to protecting 1x6 on almost every shootout attempt ... what the feck is with him always pancaking?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, can I say that I just get absolutely giddy when I think about this team at full health. Getting Orpik healthy will be great (having all 3 of Nisky, Lovejoy, and Engo on is rough), and getting Sid back? Ooooooh baby.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
botchford said it best this am

Luongo goes from protecting 4x6 to protecting 1x6 on almost every shootout attempt ... what the feck is with him always pancaking?

And everyone knew it too...both Pens shooters just waited him out.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, why Samuelson for your first shooter? He doesn't even have a good history based on career numbers. In a shootout, first goal is vital...I honestly don't know about the twins in the SO, but hey, you got two of 'em!

Raymond and Kesler are part of the regular 3 and theyre out ... they were grasping ... dont know if versus showed it but cbc iso'ed on Vigneault talking with Corey Schneider at the bench and it basically looked like Schneids picked the 3 shooters for the canucks (prob based on what hes seen in practice)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair (reported?) I dont think any goalie could have stopped Letangs move

Yeah...that was...wow. Slick. Glad he finally went back to that move, because he abandoned the backhand for awhile now.

Also, the Schnieder thing is an interesting tactic, but going against your own goalie in practice is slightly different, but when you're missing your big shooters gotta do some trial and error.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ballard looked great last night. A hip check would have made it perfect.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find interesting about Pittsburgh is even after acquiring Neal & Sullivan their wingers leave a lot to be desired.

James Neal has done very little to impress me since the day he first put on a Pens uni....I know a lot of people expect big things from him...and I don't wanna hear that he hasn't really played with Sid yet...if he was really a game changer...that wouldn't matter....I hope I'm wrong...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Neal has done very little to impress me since the day he first put on a Pens uni....I know a lot of people expect big things from him...and I don't wanna hear that he hasn't really played with Sid yet...if he was really a game changer...that wouldn't matter....I hope I'm wrong...

He's not a game-changer, though. He was never ticketed as one. Sid and Geno are the game-changers. Neal's a competent finisher when he has a good setup man, and that's what we needed. Unfortunately, when we got him, we lost our two setup men, so last night was the first time we got to see him in that role. And he scored a goal.