• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GNT | Isles @ Pens | 1.29.13

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, tonight he was solid.

I definitely agree he never got a chance. Seems like the organization has been unwilling to give anyone from their farm system a look recently, unless it is out of necessity. Not sure if that speaks poorly on the players or management/coaching.

The thing that is most disappointing to me is they lost him and got nothing for a guy who they developed for five years.

They could've dropped Despres down to the AHL, tried to trade the glut of sixth defensemen they are saddled with, and then retuned Despres to the lineup. I can only think the reason they are rolling with eight defensemen on the 23 man roster is they refuse to lose Bortuzzo on the waiver wire like they lost Strait.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is most disappointing to me is they lost him and got nothing for a guy who they developed for five years.

They could've dropped Despres down to the AHL, tried to trade the glut of sixth defensemen they are saddled with, and then retuned Despres to the lineup. I can only think the reason they are rolling with eight defensemen on the 23 man roster is they refuse to lose Bortuzzo on the waiver wire like they lost Strait.

Agreed, since they seem to have zero intention on playing Bortuzzo.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was unbelievably shitty.

Kunitz has really taken a nosedive. Dupuis is just Dupuis. How many times has Crosby dished to one of those guys on the rush, and all they can manage is a shitty shot from distance. No playmaking ability from either one, you know what's going to happen every time. It's depressing.

The powerplay. Yi-ikes. How do they practice? Against pylons? How do they think they can get away with just standing still the whole time? Blows my mind how bad our powerplay can be at times.

Defense and slapshots. How fucking long do you need to wind up? Why don't you let them get more shotblockers in the lane? And enough with the bank shots or slap passes, just get that shit on net.

Finally, Sutter. He's not bad, but after all the hype, he's no Staal. We are definitely missing an offensive option after Crosby, Malkin and Neal.

Only three players looked good to me tonight, all relative to expectations: Jeffrey (should get a regular spot over Tangradi from here on out), Despres (deserves to play) and Kennedy (some actual creativity from one of our wingers? shocked).

Spot on Dacks.

We are kidding ourselves if we thought there wouldn't be a drop off from Jordan Staal to Brandon Sutter, though. I think Sutter is trying to find his way right now. He showed flashes tonight of keeping the puck in, and I think he was about even in the face off circle. Sutter doesn't seem to have much familiarity with his line mates yet. Price of the lockout I suppose.

There's no way he will ever replicate what Staal can do from an offensive standpoint. That is something the Pens will have to live with. Can't re-sign every player you like with a salary cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on that debacle i just witnessed...

Bylsma cant constantly change linemates every fucking shift. Sutter hasn't done a thing (except possibly blow more than his uncle Rich did in his time in Pittsburgh). Jeffrey needs to play in a top 6 role. Tanner Glass should never skate unless it's on the 4th line and Kennedy and Cooke need to play together at all times.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on that debacle i just witnessed...

Bylsma cant constantly change linemates every fucking shift. Sutter hasn't done a thing (except possibly blow more than his uncle Rich did in his time in Pittsburgh). Jeffrey needs to play in a top 6 role. Tanner Glass should never skate unless it's on the 4th line and Kennedy and Cooke need to play together at all times.

I wonder what would happen if this team went on an extended losing streak... Would Shero can Bylsma?

So hard to get an accurate gauge on this team with the lockout. They have no continuity. They look different from shift to shift.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what would happen if this team went on an extended losing streak... Would Shero can Bylsma?

So hard to get an accurate gauge on this team with the lockout. They have no continuity. They look different from shift to shift.

Good question, i could see that happening. Shero has never had the opportunity to bring in his "own" coach. Bylsma was handed the job from WBS when MT was canned.

Right now this team needs a shake-up of some sort. Every player looks disinterested. So much talent being wasted.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it should be considered, they've had a few disappointing playoff runs, and Dan rarely ever out-coaches anyone. Some nights Dan's 'system' is shut down, and they have never been able to adjust tactically.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got back from my IM hockey game to see they scraped out a goal. :puke: <--Is this still a smiley?

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be considered, they've had a few disappointing playoff runs, and Dan rarely ever out-coaches anyone. Some nights Dan's 'system' is shut down, and they have never been able to adjust tactically.

Going on 4 years of this now. That isn't a fluke, it's called a trend. To repeat what i posted the other day---Bylsma= most overrated coach in the NHL.

He won a cup with MT's team, the same way Tomlin won a super bowl with Cowher's team. Once they brought in their own players, draft picks etc... right down the shitter.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad I'm not the only one realizing how off Kunitz has been. Just terrible so far. The first 10 minutes of the game he looked like he was back, but I honestly think that those boarding calls (all 20 of 'em) he got early in the year messed with his mindset and he's changed his game a bit. I dunno...this team is ridiculously inconsistent, and this year, that equals no postseason. And no postseason with this roster is completely, utterly, unacceptable.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going on 4 years of this now. That isn't a fluke, it's called a trend. To repeat what i posted the other day---Bylsma= most overrated coach in the NHL.

He won a cup with MT's team, the same way Tomlin won a super bowl with Cowher's team. Once they brought in their own players, draft picks etc... right down the shitter.

He's got as far as he has with the "player friendly" mantra, not with his schemes. The good coaches are the ones that take borderline talent and beat raw talent. There's no excuse for the powerplay to be this off.

PenVolution

woooooooo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly. The guy inherited the pieces. He just motivated them to victory.

This pass-pass-pass bullshit hasn't worked. Sure, it wins the occasional regular season game but in a pressure cooker, it's good for nothing. They need a defensive minded coach. And for God's sake can anyone help run the power play with all this talent?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I see some Pens fans saying they need to get rid of Bylsma and others complaining that nobody who they bring up they suck.

Why not kill two birds with one stone and demote Bylsma to coach of the Baby Pens and bring in Randy Cunneyworth.

No need to thank me now.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm starting to come around to this position. They enter the zone in two ways, a rush caused by a turnover in their defensive zone, or a long pass to the wing at the blue line, who chips it in the zone, starting the forecheck.

Yea, it's good when it works, but it isn't infallible and yet they never try anything else.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the team another 10 days to swing back into shape before a move of some sort is made...in this short year, two weeks is about all you can afford, and going back to game three they've looked shoddy. The win in OTT was an ugly one at best.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got as far as he has with the "player friendly" mantra, not with his schemes. The good coaches are the ones that take borderline talent and beat raw talent. There's no excuse for the powerplay to be this off.

I don't know how well it translated on TV but the body language of the players on the bench and changing (esp on the pp) was something to see. The players minds looked like they were a million miles away.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The guy inherited the pieces. He just motivated them to victory.

This pass-pass-pass bullshit hasn't worked. Sure, it wins the occasional regular season game but in a pressure cooker, it's good for nothing. They need a defensive minded coach. And for God's sake can anyone help run the power play with all this talent?

I don't even think they need a defensive coach, just a better coach. This team is starting to feel like the Caps or Sharks.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I see some Pens fans saying they need to get rid of Bylsma and others complaining that nobody who they bring up they suck.

Why not kill two birds with one stone and demote Bylsma to coach of the Baby Pens and bring in Randy Cunneyworth.

No need to thank me now.

Randy Cunneyworth earns a slice of :pizza:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No need to thank me now.

He is in the top 5 of my favorite Pens of all time...