• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GM of the year

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poile and Tallon were finalists last year

in the draft lottery this year

Gillis won the inaugural award in 2010-11 and since winning his team has won a single playoff game.

/In other words, maybe you don't want to win or be nominated for this award.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rolleyes:

I'll give you Iginla, considering he had a short list of teams, so the cards were already stacked in his favor, but as you say, if anyone could have used the Jedi mind tricks on "feeble minded Nieuwendyk", then why didn't they? You are also ignoring all the other moves he made, not the least is Vokoun and Jokinen.

Vokoun was only going to sign with a team he thought could win the cup. The Blackhawks already had two goalies they didn't need him. Any team could have had Jokinen. He went through waivers unclaimed because he's due to make 3M next season.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vokoun was only going to sign with a team he thought could win the cup. The Blackhawks already had two goalies they didn't need him. Any team could have had Jokinen. He went through waivers unclaimed because he's due to make 3M next season.
So he took a risk on Jokinen and it paid off. From the looks of his play this year I saw, he will be worth that 3M. Pens filled a glaring need with Vokoun, regardless of whether he would've signed with anyone else.

We can go round and round with this, but I haven't seen any arguments on why Bowman or anyone else deserves it more, but I'm willing to entertain them.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at this season's moves I see why Bowman's not on it. Relatively quiet for him...it's the culmination of many years of good moves.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't underestimate Shero's moves.

1) Moved Michalek and kept Martin. Every Pens fan thought it was a brutal move at the time. Martin has been our best defenceman for long stretches this year. Also freed up space to get Iginla.

2) Got Sutter and a prospect for Staal at the draft. Huge return for somebody who was set to be a UFA, and had already publicly turned down a Pens offer.

3) Signed Vokoun. That 2 million could have gone elsewhere, but Shero knew he needed some insurance against another Fleury meltdown.

4) Deadline pickups. Iggy might have chosen Pittsburgh, but he still picked up Morrow, Murray and Jokinen without giving up a roster player. Morrow and Jokinen were great down the stretch, and Murray has been fantastic in his role.

Shero maximized outgoing assets (Staal), made the right personnel decisions (Martin over Michalek), addressed needs (Murray for size, Morrow for grit, Jokinen for versalitity and Iggy for Iggy), and they all look like winning moves, so far. Really have a hard time seeing how you can argue he wasn't one of the top 3 GMs this year.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all 3 finalists are deserving.

I'd go with Bergevin for the simple fact of the Habs huge turnaround.They weren't even expected to make the playoffs.He took a big gamble that paid off,with bringing back Therrien.

All of his acquisitions helped them grab #2 overall in the east.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all 3 finalists are deserving.

I'd go with Bergevin for the simple fact of the Habs huge turnaround.They weren't even expected to make the playoffs.He took a big gamble that paid off,with bringing back Therrien.

All of his acquisitions helped them grab #2 overall in the east.

The Therrien move was certainly huge...but I'd give him the most credit for that turnaround.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM of the year is the dumbest award going.

The real work that makes all these teams good was done years ago.

Evaluating a GM should only be done in the long-term.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't underestimate Shero's moves.

1) Moved Michalek and kept Martin. Every Pens fan thought it was a brutal move at the time. Martin has been our best defenceman for long stretches this year. Also freed up space to get Iginla.

2) Got Sutter and a prospect for Staal at the draft. Huge return for somebody who was set to be a UFA, and had already publicly turned down a Pens offer.

3) Signed Vokoun. That 2 million could have gone elsewhere, but Shero knew he needed some insurance against another Fleury meltdown.

4) Deadline pickups. Iggy might have chosen Pittsburgh, but he still picked up Morrow, Murray and Jokinen without giving up a roster player. Morrow and Jokinen were great down the stretch, and Murray has been fantastic in his role.

Shero maximized outgoing assets (Staal), made the right personnel decisions (Martin over Michalek), addressed needs (Murray for size, Morrow for grit, Jokinen for versalitity and Iggy for Iggy), and they all look like winning moves, so far. Really have a hard time seeing how you can argue he wasn't one of the top 3 GMs this year.

The Staal move was by far the best move Shero made. Rutherford made an idiotic trade. He had all the leverage & got screwed. Carolina never should have traded for Jordan Staal. Rutherford should have told Shero no thanks, we'll wait until the offseason & sign him as an UFA.

Shero gave up a lot to get Morrow & Murray. He was lucky on Iginla.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Staal move was by far the best move Shero made. Rutherford made an idiotic trade. He had all the leverage & got screwed. Carolina never should have traded for Jordan Staal. Rutherford should have told Shero no thanks, we'll wait until the offseason & sign him as an UFA.

Shero gave up a lot to get Morrow & Murray. He was lucky on Iginla.

I remember back when this was going on, last season. Shero said after the trade was finalized that the New York Rangers were gunning hard for Jordan Staal. Combine that with the fact Jordan also has a brother on the Rags, and I think you can see why Rutherford pulled the trigger when he did.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM of the year is the dumbest award going.

The real work that makes all these teams good was done years ago.

Evaluating a GM should only be done in the long-term.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed, I thought Kenny would roll out the following:

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember back when this was going on, last season. Shero said after the trade was finalized that the New York Rangers were gunning hard for Jordan Staal. Combine that with the fact Jordan also has a brother on the Rags, and I think you can see why Rutherford pulled the trigger when he did.

I don't buy that. Would Shero trade Jordan Staal within the division? I have a hard time believing he would.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy that. Would Shero trade Jordan Staal within the division? I have a hard time believing he would.

I do.

Shero wasn't about to lose what is essentially a #1b/#2 center in Staal for nothing... even if that meant trading him within the division.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do.

Shero wasn't about to lose what is essentially a #1b/#2 center in Staal for nothing... even if that meant trading him within the division.

Then Rutherford is even dumber than I thought. I would have let the Rangers have Jordan Staal. It would have forced Sather to make a tough decision. Staal or Nash. From a cap standpoint the Rangers weren't in a position to acquire both guys. To make matters worse he gave Semin a long term deal for a lot of money. That didn't work to well this season to say the least.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Rutherford is even dumber than I thought. I would have let the Rangers have Jordan Staal. It would have forced Sather to make a tough decision. Staal or Nash. From a cap standpoint the Rangers weren't in a position to acquire both guys. To make matters worse he gave Semin a long term deal for a lot of money. That didn't work to well this season to say the least.

i could be wrong, but didn't he sign semin to a 1-year deal, then extend it mid-season? early on semin looked amazing in carolina, once he got the contract he stopped trying again.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha, maybe Rutherford is. In any case, judging by his hastiness to make the deal with Pitt, I'd guess that Jim wasn't interested in getting into bidding wars with Staal on the open market as a UFA.

Instead, he made the deal, then turned around and signed him to the exact same contract that Shero tried to sign Staal to prior to trading him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, maybe Rutherford is. In any case, judging by his hastiness to make the deal with Pitt, I'd guess that Jim wasn't interested in getting into bidding wars with Staal on the open market as a UFA.

Instead, he made the deal, then turned around and signed him to the exact same contract that Shero tried to sign Staal to prior to trading him.

What's sad for Carolina is if Ward doesn't get hurt they probably run away with the Southeast division. Once he went down their season was over. I just think Rutherford should have shown more patience.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: