• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Re-Sign Tim Lincecum

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the GMs in baseball are going to want to line up and kick Sabean in the nuts for this move.

Signing him for 2-years isn't bad. 17.5 per year is not necessarily bad for the Giants. Bums like Ubaldo Jimenez and Ricky Nolasco asking for similar terms is going to be a nightmare.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the GMs in baseball are going to want to line up and kick Sabean in the nuts for this move.

Signing him for 2-years isn't bad. 17.5 per year is not necessarily bad for the Giants. Bums like Ubaldo Jimenez and Ricky Nolasco asking for similar terms is going to be a nightmare.

Wow. Dodgers fan berating the GIANTS for throwing too much money around and driving up salaries. That's not funny, that's tragic and sad. And it shows where you are in baseball knowledge.

Seriously weak sauce, bro. :lame: :omg: :wtf2:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were definitely some encouraging signs this season. Maybe he has learned how to adapt to the drop in velocity. He had less walks as well, so maybe the control is getting better.

He'll forever be a Giants great. I hope he has learned how to be successful with the stuff that he has now and that he goes on and earns his way into the Hall of Fame. I know that is hoping for a lot from a guy who had a negative WAR the last couple of seasons, but a fan is not called a fanatic for no reason.

His advanced metrics show a pitcher whose ERA was inflated by bad defense and bad luck. If he's the Timmy from his last 20 starts, he'll end up being worth the $35MM.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's rich, coming from the $200MM pennant-less wonders.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Dodgers fan berating the GIANTS for throwing too much money around and driving up salaries. That's not funny, that's tragic and sad. And it shows where you are in baseball knowledge.

Also notice that slappy changed his team logo from the Fakkers to the Flippers. Classic bandwagon troll.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it. Best six man rotation in the NBA:

Bogut/Lee/Iggy/Klay/Steph/Barnes.

I stand by that. Precluding injuries, of course.

I expect them to crush the Lakers in the opener. With other teams getting older, it does feel like it is the Warriors' time to shine.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect them to crush the Lakers in the opener. With other teams getting older, it does feel like it is the Warriors' time to shine.

I'm going to be in lala for Halloween and my wife scored us tickets to W's/Flippers at Staples.

Cannot. Fucking. WAIT.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Dodgers ownership who increased the payroll so vastly only signed 2 starting pitchers so far.

Zack Greinke and Hyun-Jin Ryu. Which one of those guys got paid more than he deserved?

The Dodgers had the highest overrall team payroll in 2013, but that was only after you included deferred payments to players who were no longer on the roster - in terms of active organizational players, the Dodgers were lower than the Yankees. Also, the worst contracts in that roster (Beckett and Crawford) were blunders made by the Boston Red Sox. The Dodgers only took those players in the trade because it allowed them to acquire 4 MLB players without having to give up much in terms of prospects.

A disgusting amount of money? Yes. All the bad contracts the fault of the Dodgers? Not as much.

Also, the Dodgers are shedding about 100M in payroll as soon as the World Series ends (grain of salt being that it will go back over 200MM once Kershaw gets his extenstion and a few of the arbitration guys get their 2014 tenders).

Also notice that slappy changed his team logo from the Fakkers to the Flippers. Classic bandwagon troll.

Who is slappy?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Dodgers are shedding about 100M in payroll as soon as the World Series ends

Reality check. According to Cot's ( Los Angeles Dodgers | Cot's Baseball Contracts ) the doggiebags are on the hook for $163M for 2014, versus the $216M for 2013. And that is *before* including the money for Alexander Guerrero. You need to brush up your (incredibly deficient) math skills.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it. Best six man rotation in the NBA:

Bogut/Lee/Iggy/Klay/Steph/Barnes.

I stand by that. Precluding injuries, of course.

i do root for the warriors when they arent vs the kings. my brothers the only person i know who thinks theres a rivalry between the two. not like they've been good at the same time in forever.

GS is tough, especially if Bogut stays healthy. but we got yall number it looks like :nod:

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people have to remember that Lincecum could of asked for a 5-6 year deal after his two Cy Young years for about 20 mill minimum a year. Lincecum rolled the dice and he has paid for it. He only made around 500 K each year in his 2 Cy Young years.

He has always delivered in the big games when the chips were in the middle during the playoffs. He went to the bullpen and dominated in the playoffs never bitching and was a total pro. His teammates love him and the fans love him for being that underdog who has come through when it counted.

OK so the Giants gave him a extra 5 mill or so on this contract but he could of been in his third year or so of a five year deal making 20 mill a year. He has earned the trust of this 2 year deal and when the Giants make the playoffs again SOON he will rise up and come through once again. He has the heart of a Champion , he is turning his thinking around about studying hitters more and being a pitcher instead of a thrower and I expect him to to be standing tall when the deal is up.

Go Tim !!

Go Giants !!

:suds::clap::thrasher::peace:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do root for the warriors when they arent vs the kings. my brothers the only person i know who thinks theres a rivalry between the two. not like they've been good at the same time in forever.

GS is tough, especially if Bogut stays healthy. but we got yall number it looks like :nod:

I could see GS coming out of the West, they have the championship formula: multiple guys who can score 20 a night (Curry, Thompson, Lee), good defenders (Iggy, Thompson, Barnes, Bogut, Douglas), good coaching and the athleticism to run with anybody. The question mark is the inside game, but it could easily be answered if Bogut comes out in shape and Lee continues to put up double-doubles like a monster.

Unfortunately (fortunately as a fan?) there are so many good teams in the NBA, and the Western Conference it's so tough to peg one.

Sorry, back on topic...

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total Dodgers payroll in 2014 was 278M.

Los Angeles Dodgers Payroll Database - Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness

Check your sources, big guy.

OK, I checked (spending way too much time on it, but I was curious to see why the totals are so far apart). Simply put, the link you provide is full of errors, faulty logic, and just bad math.

1) The link I provided (cot's) calculates total salary using the method defined in the CBA (the one used to determine a team's luxury tax and profit sharing).

2) My link has actual exact figures and not "estimates" (like the one for Federowicz in your link of ~500k).

3) The link you provided is full of errors. It lists 500k for J. Baker. First, he was claimed off waivers in June of '13, so even if he was on the major league roster after that, the amount wouldn't be 500k. Second, he was immediately sent to AAA, so he didn't earn anywhere close to 500k. Similarly, Nolasco's entire salary is added into the total, although he wasn't acquired until July. That's just WRONG (the Dodgers paid about half of his $6M salary). Ditto Guerrier - he was traded in July, but the dufus adds in his full year's salary. The dude CAN do the calculations (he got it right for Harang) why is he so sloppy? There are a bunch of errors on salaries. Besides the things I called out above, he often just gets the numbers wrong.

All the incorrect salary numbers add up to millions, but the biggest differences are due to two things :

A) incorrectly attributing deferred salary to this year's salary budget. First, MLB rules say that the salary is to be considered as part of the salary budget of the year it was earned. Even if you don't buy that, the CBA specifies that deferred money must be put into a bank account "on or before the second July 1 following the season in which it was earned". For Manny, that would have been Jul 1, 2012. So it was already paid by the team, at the latest, last year. (And the idiot got it wrong - it should have been 8,333,333.) Ditto the deferred salary for Andruw Jones - that money was in a bank account somewhere well before 2013.

B) Adding the posting fee paid for Ryu into the salary budget. It isn't salary. It *is* an expense, but it just isn't salary. Are you going to add in the amount of insurance paid by the Dodgers to insure their players? Or the amount paid for hotel and airfare and food while on the road? Of course not. They're legitimate expenses, but they just are not salary.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with that post by Marco there's nothing left of Villain but a pile of ashes.

:clap:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I checked (spending way too much time on it, but I was curious to see why the totals are so far apart). Simply put, the link you provide is full of errors, faulty logic, and just bad math.

1) The link I provided (cot's) calculates total salary using the method defined in the CBA (the one used to determine a team's luxury tax and profit sharing).

2) My link has actual exact figures and not "estimates" (like the one for Federowicz in your link of ~500k).

3) The link you provided is full of errors. It lists 500k for J. Baker. First, he was claimed off waivers in June of '13, so even if he was on the major league roster after that, the amount wouldn't be 500k. Second, he was immediately sent to AAA, so he didn't earn anywhere close to 500k. Similarly, Nolasco's entire salary is added into the total, although he wasn't acquired until July. That's just WRONG (the Dodgers paid about half of his $6M salary). Ditto Guerrier - he was traded in July, but the dufus adds in his full year's salary. The dude CAN do the calculations (he got it right for Harang) why is he so sloppy? There are a bunch of errors on salaries. Besides the things I called out above, he often just gets the numbers wrong.

All the incorrect salary numbers add up to millions, but the biggest differences are due to two things :

A) incorrectly attributing deferred salary to this year's salary budget. First, MLB rules say that the salary is to be considered as part of the salary budget of the year it was earned. Even if you don't buy that, the CBA specifies that deferred money must be put into a bank account "on or before the second July 1 following the season in which it was earned". For Manny, that would have been Jul 1, 2012. So it was already paid by the team, at the latest, last year. (And the idiot got it wrong - it should have been 8,333,333.) Ditto the deferred salary for Andruw Jones - that money was in a bank account somewhere well before 2013.

B) Adding the posting fee paid for Ryu into the salary budget. It isn't salary. It *is* an expense, but it just isn't salary. Are you going to add in the amount of insurance paid by the Dodgers to insure their players? Or the amount paid for hotel and airfare and food while on the road? Of course not. They're legitimate expenses, but they just are not salary.

DAYUM!!!

I love this site...

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn-gif-o.gif

Remind me to never start a fight with Marco! :clap:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marco is still in mid-season form. Love it!

Rep!