• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Have “Very Strong” Interest in Harvey

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not, we really need another SP

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to sell Harvey on the nightlife in SF
Cause distractions really help him focus on the mound? I know the Giants are feeling a bit desperate but Harvey does not seem like the type that will help this team. His numbers have been ugly since he came back from TJ. I read somewhere that out of the 205 pitchers in MLB in that time frame who threw at least 150 innings, Harvey ranked 201st in ERA.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause distractions really help him focus on the mound? I know the Giants are feeling a bit desperate but Harvey does not seem like the type that will help this team. His numbers have been ugly since he came back from TJ. I read somewhere that out of the 205 pitchers in MLB in that time frame who threw at least 150 innings, Harvey ranked 201st in ERA.

Mostly just taking a shot at Harvey going to clubs/partying even after Mets demoted him to pen and wanted him to show some maturity

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly just taking a shot at Harvey going to clubs/partying even after Mets demoted him to pen and wanted him to show some maturity
Got it. That right there is the reason why I don't think he'd be worth a pick up. He's stubborn, immature and so not ready to work with anyone to make the necessary adjustments. Whoever picks him up will have to deal with a further slide, not knowing when, or if, he'll drop his pride and work out the issues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would he cost?

I would ship Kelby, but not sure much more than that. He is a big risk, so I would not want to lose the games AND the talent.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would he cost?

I would ship Kelby, but not sure much more than that. He is a big risk, so I would not want to lose the games AND the talent.
Mets Expect To Trade Matt Harvey
"If a deal does, in fact, get done, Rosenthal says not to expect the Mets to shave away much salary. With something on the order of $4.5MM still owed to Harvey for the rest of the season, the New York organization anticipates paying the “vast majority” in hopes of securing “something in return” in a deal.

Reading the tea leaves, then, the Mets aren’t really looking for a MLB asset back that might offset some of the Harvey commitment. It’s possible the team will be able to find another organization willing to give a bit of young talent, but it’ll take deft work for GM Sandy Alderson to achieve significant value."

I also like this line from another article on MLB Trade Rumors: "They’ve been plugging in a struggling Derek Holland in the fifth spot in their rotation, though it’s not clear at all if Harvey would represent an upgrade."

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. That right there is the reason why I don't think he'd be worth a pick up. He's stubborn, immature and so not ready to work with anyone to make the necessary adjustments. Whoever picks him up will have to deal with a further slide, not knowing when, or if, he'll drop his pride and work out the issues.
So he's a project. My money's on Boch to figure him out.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously they would want to talk to him but maybe it's a Panda-like thing. Arrogant bastard gets his comeuppance, comes back chastened.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sandoval and Dyson are some good comps.

Sandoval got caught up in his head, then realized that there is more to life than going to the big lights. The Giants were “home” for him, so he was able to. Come back to familiarity and succeed (given lowered expectations). Harvey does not have those ties to the Giants organization, so he would have the “trying to impress his parents” thing that Sandoval has. But getting Harvey out of NY may be just what the dr ordered for him.

Dyson was a mess. He had past success, but had lost it. Coming to the Giants helped him get some of that success back, but still not all of it. The clean slate and fresh eyes looking at his game surely helped. Harvey is lost as well, but he has the added issue of injury history that Dyson doesn’t have. It is possible that no level of fresh atmosphere and fixed mechanics can help Harvey. It is possible that he is simply done.

That said, the potential reward of Harvey is worth some tire kicking. Just don’t pay face value. He is, after all, just a lottery ticket.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one place that Harvey can bring immediate dividends without any kind of improvement on his part.
But good luck trying to find yourself as a pitcher in that park.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the Giants didn't go this route. Maybe Harvey isn't a bad dude, but nothing we've heard about him says otherwise (granted, NY media blows things out of proportion). No need to mess with the mojo, and I have little faith he's going to bounce back anyway

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually got something. No way would I have been happy with giving up that much for him.
Mesoraco helps shore up a position that the Mets are really hurting at but he's not been the same since he went down with an injury a few years ago and was relegated to backup duty at Cincinnati. Seems like a classic change of scenery trade.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying we should have traded for him but Harvey had a nice first start and pitched well against the Dogs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying we should have traded for him but Harvey had a nice first start and pitched well against the Dogs
I would rather us not pay for him and have him destroy the dogs then have to have paid the price the Reds paid for him.

And the mutts were looking for catching in return. The Giants collected 2 minor league cast offs themselves in the last couple weeks because of their lack of depth at the catcher position.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather us not pay for him and have him destroy the dogs then have to have paid the price the Reds paid for him.

And the mutts were looking for catching in return. The Giants collected 2 minor league cast offs themselves in the last couple weeks because of their lack of depth at the catcher position.

Hence my opening phrase.