• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Giants go for the Sweep vs Braves :( 12:45 PM

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I have long been of the opinion that great players make lousy coaches. For many athletes, their skill comes from hours/days/years of practice. But great athletes, while still putting in the practice time, just see things differently. The game moves slower for them. And by and large, they are unable to teach others to see what they see and to do what they do. I think perhaps Steph Curry might, might be able to teach others to shoot. But I am pretty sure that LeBron will never be able to teach others about basketball, as it is more instinctive for him, and he is a freak of nature anyway.

I think some of the great pitching coaches we have had were not great pitchers themselves. Koufax, Marichal, Seaver, Gibson were never coaches. They were just world class pitchers, and their knowledge/skills remained with them.

So maybe Gwynn could help. :noidea:

Whatever it is, the hitting coaches are not doing their job, or the hitters are headstrong and resistant. Fascinating article in the Athletic this morning on the development of the Orioles into a model franchise. Their philosophy goes all the way through the organization from the DSL to AAA to Baltimore. Hitters hear the same things from the same people at all levels. I doubt there is the same integration with the Giants, but I could be wrong. The lack of hitting with RISP has gone on for years, and it seems systemic.
IMHO great players have something other than just 'talent'. Maybe it's instinct or some intetnal drive itself. In any event it can't be taught. For me Pete Rose was one of those types of players. He always seemed ro be over the top. Always trying to reach the next level. I don't believe that you can teach that. It's just something you have. He did have a lot of faults but as a player his talent level was amazing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO great players have something other than just 'talent'. Maybe it's instinct or some intetnal drive itself. In any event it can't be taught. For me Pete Rose was one of those types of players. He always seemed ro be over the top. Always trying to reach the next level. I don't believe that you can teach that. It's just something you have. He did have a lot of faults but as a player his talent level was amazing.
He didn’t have an off switch, or any gears other than “full speed”. Just ask Ray Fosse.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carney left the org while tossing grenades at all the undisciplined hitters that the org produces. I think it comes from a philosophy that has been in the minor league training staff for generations.

Ultimately, it is Filo’s fault.
Yeah, I’m beginning to doubt that my dues are being used for anything useful

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I have long been of the opinion that great players make lousy coaches. For many athletes, their skill comes from hours/days/years of practice. But great athletes, while still putting in the practice time, just see things differently. The game moves slower for them. And by and large, they are unable to teach others to see what they see and to do what they do. I think perhaps Steph Curry might, might be able to teach others to shoot. But I am pretty sure that LeBron will never be able to teach others about basketball, as it is more instinctive for him, and he is a freak of nature anyway.

I think some of the great pitching coaches we have had were not great pitchers themselves. Koufax, Marichal, Seaver, Gibson were never coaches. They were just world class pitchers, and their knowledge/skills remained with them.

Whatever it is, the hitting coaches are not doing their job, or the hitters are headstrong and resistant. Fascinating article in the Athletic this morning on the development of the Orioles into a model franchise. Their philosophy goes all the way through the organization from the DSL to AAA to Baltimore. Hitters hear the same things from the same people at all levels. I doubt there is the same integration with the Giants, but I could be wrong. The lack of hitting with RISP has gone on for years, and it seems systemic.
Hey, the brother of a Hall of Fame pitcher was an okay pitching coach. Is that close enough?
And the Giants have a consistent philosophy - don’t succeed in high pressure situations.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not watching today (by choice). That 2nd sounds so fucking frustrating.

I honestly don’t have any theory as to why this team just can’t hit with RISP. It has to be a thing that has infested the clubhouse, and it has just gotten in everyone’s head. But why does this happen to this org seemingly every season? It can’t just be continual bad luck. There has to be some kind of cultural issue in that clubhouse that allows that attitude to fester.

:noidea:
I think it's just seasonal variation. Which means that we have an outstanding season of RISP hitting on the horizon.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years my group always put the blame on BamBam. Seems to be more deep seeded than a single person.

Maybe we just sign the wrong players.

I'd love to have Tony Gwynn return from beyond and conduct batting practice with a cattle prod and megaphone. Try to pull an un-pullable pitch and 'Wrong' - Zap. There'd be a lot of 'Wrong' - Zaps in that session
And guys hitting the IL for electrocution injuries.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carney left the org while tossing grenades at all the undisciplined hitters that the org produces. I think it comes from a philosophy that has been in the minor league training staff for generations.

Ultimately, it is Filo’s fault.
Cal, line 3 for you:

Unknown-1.jpeg

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would love to see some statistical analysis on this. For years, I was convinced that the Giants were just awful with runner at 3b, less than two out situations. Did a deep dive a few years ago and found out that the league average was right at 50% and had been for decades. The Giants, over the 20 years I looked at were 50.2%.

I don't know, but the RISP thing might be similar.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Casali. He's a decent defensive catcher. The pitching staff like him. He just cannot hit. We already have 3-4 holes in the lineup, we cannot have one more automatic out every time through the order.
If only we had a good young catcher that was drafted high....like Pittsburgh does.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful there bro....that kinda talk can get you cut.
Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shabbat without baseball is just phuking lame.