• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Giants go for the Sweep vs Braves :( 12:45 PM

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years my group always put the blame on BamBam. Seems to be more deep seeded than a single person.

Maybe we just sign the wrong players.

I'd love to have Tony Gwynn return from beyond and conduct batting practice with a cattle prod and megaphone. Try to pull an un-pullable pitch and 'Wrong' - Zap. There'd be a lot of 'Wrong' - Zaps in that session

Interesting. I have long been of the opinion that great players make lousy coaches. For many athletes, their skill comes from hours/days/years of practice. But great athletes, while still putting in the practice time, just see things differently. The game moves slower for them. And by and large, they are unable to teach others to see what they see and to do what they do. I think perhaps Steph Curry might, might be able to teach others to shoot. But I am pretty sure that LeBron will never be able to teach others about basketball, as it is more instinctive for him, and he is a freak of nature anyway.

I think some of the great pitching coaches we have had were not great pitchers themselves. Koufax, Marichal, Seaver, Gibson were never coaches. They were just world class pitchers, and their knowledge/skills remained with them.

So maybe Gwynn could help. :noidea:

Whatever it is, the hitting coaches are not doing their job, or the hitters are headstrong and resistant. Fascinating article in the Athletic this morning on the development of the Orioles into a model franchise. Their philosophy goes all the way through the organization from the DSL to AAA to Baltimore. Hitters hear the same things from the same people at all levels. I doubt there is the same integration with the Giants, but I could be wrong. The lack of hitting with RISP has gone on for years, and it seems systemic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Casali. He's a decent defensive catcher. The pitching staff like him. He just cannot hit. We already have 3-4 holes in the lineup, we cannot have one more automatic out every time through the order.
In his first tour with the team, his bat was barely passable. It still sucked, but it wasn’t a complete black hole. And his defense was near elite.

Now his defense is just very good, but his bat is absolutely nonexistent.

Love the guy, but it is time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I have long been of the opinion that great players make lousy coaches. For many athletes, their skill comes from hours/days/years of practice. But great athletes, while still putting in the practice time, just see things differently. The game moves slower for them. And by and large, they are unable to teach others to see what they see and to do what they do. I think perhaps Steph Curry might, might be able to teach others to shoot. But I am pretty sure that LeBron will never be able to teach others about basketball, as it is more instinctive for him, and he is a freak of nature anyway.

I think some of the great pitching coaches we have had were not great pitchers themselves. Koufax, Marichal, Seaver, Gibson were never coaches. They were just world class pitchers, and their knowledge/skills remained with them.

So maybe Gwynn could help. :noidea:

Whatever it is, the hitting coaches are not doing their job, or the hitters are headstrong and resistant. Fascinating article in the Athletic this morning on the development of the Orioles into a model franchise. Their philosophy goes all the way through the organization from the DSL to AAA to Baltimore. Hitters hear the same things from the same people at all levels. I doubt there is the same integration with the Giants, but I could be wrong. The lack of hitting with RISP has gone on for years, and it seems systemic.
In general I agree, great players make lousy coaches.

This could be the way kids are taught. Drive the ball to the fence at the 'correct' launch angle, everyone homers, k.o's, or walks. Big contracts for home runs. Maybe that works when you are drafting for the Rockies or can pick the cream of the crop like the Spankies or Doggs. Could be we are drafting wrong and not teaching what's needed in the minors. By the time they get through AAA it's ingrained and the manager just gets to work with the roster provided by the FO. Dunno, but it's real.