• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting Through the First Nine

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, after Buffalo, it doesn't get much more brutal than our 8 game stretch that follows. San Fran, GBx2, Carolina, New England all division winners last season and looking strong once again. New York on the road, who was 7-1 at home last season. And Miami, who missed the playoffs in the final week last year. Then, Atlanta, who I believe will come back very very strong this year.

Then factor in, that 6 of 8 of that stretch is on the road. Christ almighty...

vs Buffalo

@San Francisco
@New York
vs Green Bay
@Carolina
@Atlanta
vs Miami
@New England
@Green Bay

How many do we have to win of these 9 to stay afloat? The final seven games look a lot more generous on paper, especially playing at home in 5 of those 7. vs MIN, vs TB, @DET, vs DAL, vs NO, vs DET, @MIN.

I say, with the way the NFC looks (very tough), we have to go 5-4 or better to stay in the wild card hunt. 6-3 or better to stay right in the thick of the division, while at least splitting with GB.

Realistically, I have to say we'll lose to SF. It's just not in the cards to beat them opening up their new stadium on primetime, sorry. We can probably beat the Jets on MNF the following week, as long as the offense puts up points. I think we'll split CAR and ATL. Beat MIA. Then it's tough, I think we really REALLY have to beat GB the first time around. That @NE and @GB stretch is brutal. Even with a bye week in between.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Okay, after Buffalo, it doesn't get much more brutal than our 8 game stretch that follows. San Fran, GBx2, Carolina, New England all division winners last season and looking strong once again. New York on the road, who was 7-1 at home last season. And Miami, who missed the playoffs in the final week last year. Then, Atlanta, who I believe will come back very very strong this year.

Then factor in, that 6 of 8 of that stretch is on the road. Christ almighty...

vs Buffalo

@San Francisco
@New York
vs Green Bay
@Carolina
@Atlanta
vs Miami
@New England
@Green Bay

How many do we have to win of these 9 to stay afloat? The final seven games look a lot more generous on paper, especially playing at home in 5 of those 7. vs MIN, vs TB, @DET, vs DAL, vs NO, vs DET, @MIN.

I say, with the way the NFC looks (very tough), we have to go 5-4 or better to stay in the wild card hunt. 6-3 or better to stay right in the thick of the division, while at least splitting with GB.

Realistically, I have to say we'll lose to SF. It's just not in the cards to beat them opening up their new stadium on primetime, sorry. We can probably beat the Jets on MNF the following week, as long as the offense puts up points. I think we'll split CAR and ATL. Beat MIA. Then it's tough, I think we really REALLY have to beat GB the first time around. That @NE and @GB stretch is brutal. Even with a bye week in between.

Our schedule looks tough, but I keep reminding myself that sometimes it seems that way in July. Plus we do have the pseudo-bye late in the season. To answer your question, of the last 7, I'd say if the team is somewhat healthy and playing well by then we can probably realistically go 5-2. This isn't a prediction, but certainly doable. I think the North is a little below average this year, there's more parity in the division than some think, so I think 10 could win the division. So to not be "out of it" after that front stretch, we have to be 5-4. With that schedule, it is doable, but tough.

We can get there, most readily, like this:
BUFF W
@SF L
@NYJ W
GB W
@CAR W
@ ATL L
MIA W
@ NE L
@ GB L

bingo. There's your 5-4 start.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say this far out. I mean the Bears could go 2-7 or 7-2. But realistically, I could see them go 4-5 in this stretch and possibly 5-2 at the end. That will put them 9-7.

Buffalo - W
@SF - L
@Jets - W
GB - L
@Carolina - L
@Atlanta - W
Miami - W
@NE - L
@GB - L
Minny - W
Tampa - W
@Detroit - L
Dallas - W
NO - L
Detroit - W
@Minny - W

They have to beat GB at home that first game and/or win against Detroit on Thanksgiving to make the playoffs.

JMO

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our schedule looks tough, but I keep reminding myself that sometimes it seems that way in July. Plus we do have the pseudo-bye late in the season. To answer your question, of the last 7, I'd say if the team is somewhat healthy and playing well by then we can probably realistically go 5-2. This isn't a prediction, but certainly doable. I think the North is a little below average this year, there's more parity in the division than some think, so I think 10 could win the division. So to not be "out of it" after that front stretch, we have to be 5-4. With that schedule, it is doable, but tough.

We can get there, most readily, like this:
BUFF W
@SF L
@NYJ W
GB W
@CAR W
@ ATL L
MIA W
@ NE L
@ GB L

bingo. There's your 5-4 start.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, we said the same thing last year (possibly the year before too) and it ended up not being nearly as bad as we thought. There's always a couple of tough looking teams on your schedule or inexplicably struggle badly, or get bit by the injury bug. Then, there's a team or two you thought looked like a win that turns into a tough matchup.

IMO, we're lucky we have Tampa Bay at home, because that team actually has some good young talent (especially on D) and played real good football to finish off the season. Although, we should outscore them and take care of them at home.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say this far out. I mean the Bears could go 2-7 or 7-2. But realistically, I could see them go 4-5 in this stretch and possibly 5-2 at the end. That will put them 9-7.

Buffalo - W
@SF - L
@Jets - W
GB - L
@Carolina - L
@Atlanta - W
Miami - W
@NE - L
@GB - L
Minny - W
Tampa - W
@Detroit - L
Dallas - W
NO - L
Detroit - W
@Minny - W

They have to beat GB at home that first game and/or win against Detroit on Thanksgiving to make the playoffs.

JMO

At least how things look right now. I can't see us losing to New Orleans at home, especially in mid-December on Monday Night, and coming off a big rest from a Thursday night game prior.

And I honestly don't see us being swept by GB. I just don't see this team letting that happen this year.]

They'll win at least one of those two games. If they stay at least relatively healthy, I can't see us winning less than 10 games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE=richig

vs Buffalo

@San Francisco
@New York
vs Green Bay
@Carolina
@Atlanta
vs Miami
@New England
@Green Bay

How many do we have to win of these 9 to stay afloat?
I see us going 6-3. We need to go 5-4. I can't see Car or Mia being able to score enough to stay with us or be winning teams next year overall. We'll split with GB. NY? I think we beat them @ NE tuff. @ SF Owch @GB tough.

Last edited by a moderator:

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich, I saw the title and thought for a moment you were talking about the rush defense last year....

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of the first 9 are roadies. SF, CAR, NE, GB? Right now, ( and I mean right now since no games have been played) that looks brutal.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of the first 9 are roadies. SF, CAR, NE, GB? Right now, ( and I mean right now since no games have been played) that looks brutal.

Yeah, looking at the following schedule, this may be the closest I've ever seen to a "must-win" in week 1. The tough stretch is next, and like you said. 6 of those 8 are on the road. Who plays 6 road games in an 8 game span? Thanks a lot, scheduling committee.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich, I saw the title and thought for a moment you were talking about the rush defense last year....

lol, "Getting through the first nine".

I thought people were going to think it was golfing thread.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least how things look right now. I can't see us losing to New Orleans at home, especially in mid-December on Monday Night, and coming off a big rest from a Thursday night game prior.

And I honestly don't see us being swept by GB. I just don't see this team letting that happen this year.]

They'll win at least one of those two games. If they stay at least relatively healthy, I can't see us winning less than 10 games.

I think the Bears will have a better chance defeating Detroit in Thanksgiving than NO, but it is early and a lot can happen even before the season starts.

I go back-and-forth on that first GB game... But my point was I think the Bears can win 9, but they can see a 10+ win season if things go well.