• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gentleman...............

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. When we crunched the numbers we realized that we were going to be paying about $2500-2700 a month to rent a condo/townhouse the size of the row house we currently mortgage for about $1400. Sucks. I don't know how anyone affords to buy anything larger than a match box.

We've been looking at Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and West and North San Jose. Other than the towns Jay threw out, any other gems we might be overlooking? I do appreciate the help.

The good areas of San Jose, one bedroom apts go for approximately $2,500 and two bedrooms for $3,000. My brother owns good size townhouse north of San Jose near San Carlos that he rents for $4,300 a month. The couple combined make over $300,000. That is why it costs so much to live in the area. It is a hot economy in a relatively small area. Too many people making too much money and not enough places to live. That is why as Javabay mentioned so many people have flocked to the Central Valley over the years and endure the commute.

I think anywhere you end up in is okay. All the connecting towns are really good. Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, etc. Saratoga and Los Gatos are beautiful upscale towns where the big bucks go. If I were going to live in a populated area again, I would probably move to the Tri-Valley area (Pleasanton/Livermore). Great area. Still pricey even there but rentals are probably a bit cheaper and you get more for your money. The weather is really good. The commute to San Jose is a bit tough. The BART line extends to Pleasanton so if you work on the SF or SF Peninsula it is a breeze

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in San Jose from 77 to 86. There were many Italian owned bars that would not allow fans to be abused - heckled but not abused. The owners I knew are all dead by now but I would not hesitate to walk into an Italian owned bar with a Patriots shirt on. (I'm not Italian) San Jose used to be more blue-collar. I would not be concerned - even then. I walked into Raider hangouts during Patriots/Raiders games and never had a problem. If you try to be quiet and respectful, they will recognize you! If you re loud and enjoying yourself, you will be just like them. Buy someone a beer!

San Jose has changed so much since then. My friend is an employee of the City and grew up there. He tells me of all the changes. The area is being heavily populated with Indian and Asian people. A lot of imported high tech people. I think few of the Indian people care about American football

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in San Jose a couple of months ago. Met a couple of people at a shopping mall close to the 85. It was an ordinary early Saturday evening. It was crazy. No parking at this mall. One way traffic and people fighting over a parking space opening it. It was almost like xmas. I can't deal with that stuff anymore.

Man!! I couldn't agree with you more. My mom just moved back and when I go visit on the weekends, i cant wait to get back to Manteca. Its horrible in San Jose, the traffic is non stop. I remember when Saturday mornings was the best time to catch a break from the crowd. It does feel like xmas or LA.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man!! I couldn't agree with you more. My mom just moved back and when I go visit on the weekends, i cant wait to get back to Manteca. Its horrible in San Jose, the traffic is non stop. I remember when Saturday mornings was the best time to catch a break from the crowd. It does feel like xmas or LA.

I hear Manteca is starting to get a bit rough. That is what someone who grew up there told me. Of course, she lived there when it was a real small farm town so she is not used to bigger city problems.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not really Manteca but guys from Stockton come hang out here once and a while and start crap. We have a straw hat pizza that shows sunday ticket and UFC paperview fights. That attracts the wrong crowd and fights have happened lately. Two weeks ago, a 19 yr old kid got shot in the face at the UFC fight night. For the most part, its just a bunch of meth heads, that only hurt themselves with that poison.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not really Manteca but guys from Stockton come hang out here once and a while and start crap. We have a straw hat pizza that shows sunday ticket and UFC paperview fights. That attracts the wrong crowd and fights have happened lately. Two weeks ago, a 19 yr old kid got shot in the face at the UFC fight night. For the most part, its just a bunch of meth heads, that only hurt themselves with that poison.

Stockton is really rough. If I had to move in that area, I would probably move to Ripon. Further South, Turlock.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Jose has changed so much since then. My friend is an employee of the City and grew up there. He tells me of all the changes. The area is being heavily populated with Indian and Asian people. A lot of imported high tech people. I think few of the Indian people care about American football

Thats very true and pretty pathetic but I know its business. I remember when I was kid doing security for these high tech companies and witnessing this trend. You would have a guy who help build the company, working 16 hour days and fully committed for 15 years. Then one day hes told, he will have to train 10 people coming over from Malaysia to take over his job, and if doesnt he would be fired without a severance package. They continue to import and replace americans in this industry like its nothing.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. When we crunched the numbers we realized that we were going to be paying about $2500-2700 a month to rent a condo/townhouse the size of the row house we currently mortgage for about $1400. Sucks. I don't know how anyone affords to buy anything larger than a match box.

We've been looking at Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and West and North San Jose. Other than the towns Jay threw out, any other gems we might be overlooking? I do appreciate the help.

Gilroy, San Martin & Morgan Hill (the priciest of the three) are decent but they are roughly 30-40 miles from Santa Clara. Some people will go one more town over to Hollister because that's more affordable, but another 15 miles. I'm in South San Jose (and work in Santa Clara) and the commuting traffic sucks (I'm 12 miles from work, but it can take almost an hour if i'm in prime commute hours), but if she's going to be working for a tech co, there's usually a train/shuttle option that can help with that. As someone mentioned, Campbell is a good option, too. Mountain View can be hit or miss. Cupertino is where everyone wants to send their kids to school. Big Asian & Indian population. Most expensive cities in Santa Clara county are probably Los Altos, Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Saratoga. Central Valley is definitely way more affordable for buying, but there is no way in the world that I could do that commute. 2+ hours each way on top of a full work day? No chance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats very true and pretty pathetic but I know its business. I remember when I was kid doing security for these high tech companies and witnessing this trend. You would have a guy who help build the company, working 16 hour days and fully committed for 15 years. Then one day hes told, he will have to train 10 people coming over from Malaysia to take over his job, and if doesnt he would be fired without a severance package. They continue to import and replace americans in this industry like its nothing.

I know. People like Zuckerberg claim there aren't enough American workers. But really they want cheaper workers. Indian workers will work 24/7, even during holidays for less pay than American workers.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stockton is really rough. If I had to move in that area, I would probably move to Ripon. Further South, Turlock.

Yea, i would go south as well but some places north are ok like, Lodi and elk grove, so I heard.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilroy, San Martin & Morgan Hill (the priciest of the three) are decent but they are roughly 30-40 miles from Santa Clara. Some people will go one more town over to Hollister because that's more affordable, but another 15 miles. I'm in South San Jose (and work in Santa Clara) and the commuting traffic sucks (I'm 12 miles from work, but it can take almost an hour if i'm in prime commute hours), but if she's going to be working for a tech co, there's usually a train/shuttle option that can help with that. As someone mentioned, Campbell is a good option, too. Mountain View can be hit or miss. Cupertino is where everyone wants to send their kids to school. Big Asian & Indian population. Most expensive cities in Santa Clara county are probably Los Altos, Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Saratoga. Central Valley is definitely way more affordable for buying, but there is no way in the world that I could do that commute. 2+ hours each way on top of a full work day? No chance.

If you stay in Tracy, its less than 2+ hours but the traffic is still brutal. They also have the development community Mt. House, thats a little closer to the bay area thats a very nice place to stay.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, i would go south as well but some places north are ok like, Lodi and elk grove, so I heard.

I've heard Elk Grove is a bit rough. I think any town that overbuilt during the boom is experiencing some problems with the rougher elements moving in. I think Lodi is nice town.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know people who do the commute from the Central Valley. It is a pretty tough life. The local papers have written stories on them in the past. There was a high divorce rate because the working spouse had no time for family. He/She would basically come home, eat dinner, and go to bed. Spent little time with family. Then it was up at 4:00AM and back on the road. Have to wonder if home ownership is worth that life.

To live in Hollister, one has to get used to isolated small towns. I imagine Gilroy is a bit cheaper. In California, they actually track the cost of housing in relation to the bay area and you can see the cost drop the farther you drive away from the Bay Area core.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. People like Zuckerberg claim there aren't enough American workers. But really they want cheaper workers. Indian workers will work 24/7, even during holidays for less pay than American workers.

Exactly, these guys would have a whole pot of coffee and a sleeping bag in their cubicle. I seen some of them stay for almost 2 days straight.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, these guys would have a whole pot of coffee and a sleeping bag in their cubicle. I seen some of them stay for almost 2 days straight.

They also tend to hire their own buddies once they are put in positions of hiring and firing. My brother worked in High Tech since the late 1980's. If you aren't one of them, forget it. There aren't a lot of places for middle aged guys in Silicon Valley these days.

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned it yet, the Best kept secret in CA...Brentwood! Moved there a couple years ago when the housing market was slowly creeping up. Got a great deal. One if not the fastest growing city in CA. Couldn't be happier.

Im a big bar guy and right across AT&T park are a few good spots. Momo's/Pete's Tavern/Double Play's/Pedro Cantina are all good. The Marina District has a few good spots as well...Brick yard..Final Final...and my all time fav bar, although its not a sports bar, the Tipsy Pig.

As for San Jose.. Outside of Santana Row is blah. Not to mention all the traffic. Well I guess that's almost anywhere in CA.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned it yet, the Best kept secret in CA...Brentwood! Moved there a couple years ago when the housing market was slowly creeping up. Got a great deal. One if not the fastest growing city in CA. Couldn't be happier.

Im a big bar guy and right across AT&T park are a few good spots. Momo's/Pete's Tavern/Double Play's/Pedro Cantina are all good. The Marina District has a few good spots as well...Brick yard..Final Final...and my all time fav bar, although its not a sports bar, the Tipsy Pig.

As for San Jose.. Outside of Santana Row is blah. Not to mention all the traffic. Well I guess that's almost anywhere in CA.

What is a typical house going for in Brentwood these days?

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a typical house going for in Brentwood these days?

For a more upscale home in a nice area.. 3-5 bdr/2-4 bath/3000-4000 sq ft ...looking between 350-450K..

New developments popping up left and right it seems. Highly populated with law enforcement/fire fighters/armed service. You have a couple moderately bad areas with a few bad individuals but that's almost anywhere.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a more upscale home in a nice area.. 3-5 bdr/2-4 bath/3000-4000 sq ft ...looking between 350-450K..

New developments popping up left and right it seems. Highly populated with law enforcement/fire fighters/armed service. You have a couple moderately bad areas with a few bad individuals but that's almost anywhere.

That is not bad based on the City's proximity to the Bay Area. Isn't Brentwood close to Livemore? I never venture out to Brentwood.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people who do the commute from the Central Valley. It is a pretty tough life. The local papers have written stories on them in the past. There was a high divorce rate because the working spouse had no time for family. He/She would basically come home, eat dinner, and go to bed. Spent little time with family. Then it was up at 4:00AM and back on the road. Have to wonder if home ownership is worth that life.

To live in Hollister, one has to get used to isolated small towns. I imagine Gilroy is a bit cheaper. In California, they actually track the cost of housing in relation to the bay area and you can see the cost drop the farther you drive away from the Bay Area core.

I know some people who commute from Los Banos to the Bay Area. It's rough, but it's a place where they can afford housing. I don't envy them.