• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: 49ers vs Ravens

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of them, with the exception of Goodwin, have played in a big game before with this much hype and it got to them. Its gotta be a terrible feeling to get dominated so completely on national TV and having your toughness put into question so I think they will play much better next week to avoid this type of embarrassment again. It was evident from the body language as the teams came on the field that the intensity was not there tonight.

That's overstating it. The Giants game was at least as important if not more so since it had major implications for playoff bye. It was also broadcast virtually nation-wide.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Going to have to disgree.

The Lions were undefeated and had the game at home with unreal crowd that was in a frenzy thanks to their start. That game was on FOX and the featured 1pm game in most markets.

The Giants game was the featured 4pm and shown across most every FOX station. That game was suppose to show how far we had come and we answered the call.

This game was on the NFL Network on 3 days rest. It may have been primetime, but I bet you far fewer homes get the NFL Network than they do FOX and as a result I bet more people saw the Lions and Giants game.

Also it's a loss to the Ravens on the road on short rest. I say look at our losses and compare them to other contender teams. The Saints? they laid a huge egg to the Rams and yet they are still contenders. The Giants lost to the Redskins and Seahawks, they are still contenders. I could really go on and on. The only team better than us is the Packers if you compare quality wins to losses.

It struck me today how much losing Best hurt Detroit. They are a big-play team, and he was looking like one of the better big-play backs in the league prior to his injury at our hands. With him out, they're basically Calvin Johnson and little else.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It struck me today how much losing Best hurt Detroit. They are a big-play team, and he was looking like one of the better big-play backs in the league prior to his injury at our hands. With him out, they're basically Calvin Johnson and little else.

Kevin Smith was looking really good until he we went down. I like him better than Best as an every down back.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's overstating it. The Giants game was at least as important if not more so since it had major implications for playoff bye. It was also broadcast virtually nation-wide.

Disagree. They were completely intimidated by the spotlight. How else to explain that not even the putrid, elementary offensive schemes of the Singletary regime produced as feeble an output as 170 yards. In fact this was the worst in 5 seasons.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"To put it frankly, we played bad today on the offensive line," left tackle Joe Staley said. "Put that on me and (center) Jonathan (Goodwin) as the leaders of the group. Guys didn't come to play today. Disappointing effort. I feel like we let our team down."
Read more: Ravens stifle 49ers 16-6 in 'Harbowl'

Well Joe, that's because you did.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Did anyone else feel like the Ravens were just bigger than the 49ers? We did relatively well holding the line on D, so it's not like perceived size determined much there. Still, let alone the 3 DL they have that are 350+ lbs, even the LBs looked like bigger people than the respective 49ers. Just an observation I guess.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst four plays of the game by so far it's obvious.

1. Penalty negates Alex-Ginn's 75-yard TD.
2. PI negates interception.
3. Alex's Interception.
4. Ginn's drop.

Ginn's drop is only this low because the other three bad plays put us in near lose situation either way. Alex's Int is only so low because with either of the two above plays it wouldn't have meant as much. Also, with an Edwards' defensive play would have stopped it, plus one more positive motion could have been a TD. Execution wasn't good but the play call was worse. In a game against NY I would have said that was ok because we'd get them later. Against the Ravens? Take the points. On the other hand, getting a TD would changed the direction of the game by virtue of how hard points are.

I agree with 1 and 2 but really 3 should be the 20 or so plays where Smith was sacked/smashed by the inept play of the OL/blocking crew.

The interception sucked but really Edwards didn't make much of a move on that ball you've gotta help a brother out. He seems like he's sill ailing to me, Crabtree is by far our best receiver right now.

And that drop by Ginn was horrendous but really does anyone expect anything more out of him? Too bad we have to rly on him... too bad Morgan is out I think we are really missing him.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who ever thought we would be at 9-2 at week 12?

Its a hard loss, simply because we could have won this game with even slight better play from our OL and WRs. Amazing how our standards have been raised this season with what they have done...think of the last 8 years and even last year.

:becky: Could not agree more. A 10 point loss on the road to a good team in week 11 is the 49ers worst game so far? I will take it.

There is lot this team can take away from this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that the game was not close and the niners were out played and out coached this game. Jim Harbaugh did a particularly poor job changing up the play calling to slow down the rush, abandoning the run too early, and not changing things up on defense.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that. Smith was sacked late on a play where we had 2 TEs and an RB in blocking, you can't protect anymore than that... they were simply outplayed by the Ravens front. We ran the ball plenty to no avail, and we only gave up 16 points!

I'm all for ripping the coaching when it's deserved (Singletary/Raye/Hosteler/Nolan/Erickson/dumb bastards) but last night was on the players - and to a lesser extent (but still too much of an extent) the officials.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:becky: Could not agree more. A 10 point loss on the road to a good team in week 11 is the 49ers worst game so far? I will take it.

Agreed, we were outplayed big time but were still in that game late. Lack of preparation/travel might of hindered them. But we cant win them all. We will be a better team because of this and learn from this. Onto next week, rest up and prepare for the rams.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed, we were outplayed big time but were still in that game late. Lack of preparation/travel might of hindered them. But we cant win them all. We will be a better team because of this and learn from this. Onto next week, rest up and prepare for the rams.

The preperation part was a problem but it is now clear that Chilo should never see the football field again as a 49er.
Remember too that the offense was on the field for about 45 minutes on Sunday as well. They looked out of sync for sure. Could a healthy Snyder and Miller made a difference?
May be not .

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did anyone else feel like the Ravens were just bigger than the 49ers? We did relatively well holding the line on D, so it's not like perceived size determined much there. Still, let alone the 3 DL they have that are 350+ lbs, even the LBs looked like bigger people than the respective 49ers. Just an observation I guess.

yep, at those weight levels its no longer about size. our offense was poor no question, but the Ravens D was also good that night, they were outstanding.

our line was doing good till this one game, so just learn and move on. don't make this lost worse by losing the next game.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This doesn't change my insatiable desire to put more points on the board when we are ahead...or behind... in this case...:D...when I posted that I thought "oh boy coffeeman, is gonna have a gotcha moment"

We've lost to the Cowboys and the Ravens in a set up that hasn't been seen since 1975, I think I read. Its interesting we now expect the 49ers to win and in it seems like we've almost forgotten the past some?

What concerns me most is the Ravens exposed weaknesses the 49ers showed in the preseason and early games, we have to learn from this because the Rams could bring the same kind of pressure and did so against Brees. The issues are still there and can be exploited by the best teams in the NFL, which means we've got serious work to do for the playoffs.

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
my concerns about this game, aside from the horrid 0-line play [as has been discussed ad naseum] are mostly about our offensive mentality and the lack of changes after halftime. it seems we were missing three very obvious offensive elements.

the first, and perhaps most important, was the lack of adjustment to the rush. mostly via screen passes and inside draws. the only mitigating factor was the fact that the ravens didn't actually blitz much [certainly not like the steelers will] and got consistent pressure with 4 down linemen. their LBs were often in standard positions, guarding against the quick check downs and that does take something away from that criticism. still, with two dynamic backs who have the ability to break tackles and make people miss, it definitely seems like we could have tried to screen against the rush.

the second issue i had was with the lack of a no-huddle. its something i mentioned in this thread during halftime after our one sustained drive came in the two minute drill. with the ravens being so big up front, our o-line being very young and athletic, i thought we could have used that to our advantage. the no-huddle often makes the coverage softer as well and our receivers can make plays in that setup. additionally, alex smith is a very smart qb, one that can make adjustments at the line, and one that can run the no-huddle very well. after indy established the no-huddle as more than simply a two-minute offense, i thought there were a number of teams that could have employed that strategy. with great TEs and RBs, we are one of those teams. on any given play we either have 3 extra blockers [gore, walker, davis] or 5 receivers, if you send the two TEs out. thats a difficult matchup and forces the D to guess. its something we certainly should have tried.

the third point is the lack of adjustment in the game plan. in the second half, almost every passing play should have been a 3 step drop. we had two WR screens that picked up solid yards, a third that was dropped by williams that looked like it could have been our biggest passing play of the night had he caught it, and with the pressure the dl was putting on, smith had no time for 5/7 step drops. we also have WRs that are very good blockers and we did not take advantage of that. the other adjustment that seemed like an obvious one is the designed roll-out. alex is athletic and can throw on the run. there were no designed bootlegs, however, no roll-outs and nothing that moved the point of attack for the D. again, with a young/athletic o-line, we could have moved the pocket and played to our strength.

i'm not so much disappointed in the loss as much as i am with the way we failed to adjust and roll with the punches thrown. after one poor game, i'm not ready to put this on harbaugh. at 9-2, he's done an incredible job turning this team around. even with our many failures, if the chop block isn't called, if the PI isn't flagged [the latter was a fairly obvious call], if edwards breaks up that INT and akers makes another long FG, we're either ahead going into the 4th, or its one possession game. this last sentence gives me hope but we were severely out-played and for the first time this season, out-coached. the latter gives me pause.

Last edited by a moderator:

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you that the game was not close and the niners were out played and out coached this game. Jim Harbaugh did a particularly poor job changing up the play calling to slow down the rush, abandoning the run too early, and not changing things up on defense.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that. Smith was sacked late on a play where we had 2 TEs and an RB in blocking, you can't protect anymore than that... they were simply outplayed by the Ravens front. We ran the ball plenty to no avail, and we only gave up 16 points!

I'm all for ripping the coaching when it's deserved (Singletary/Raye/Hosteler/Nolan/Erickson/dumb bastards) but last night was on the players - and to a lesser extent (but still too much of an extent) the officials.

WOW

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, at those weight levels its no longer about size. our offense was poor no question, but the Ravens D was also good that night, they were outstanding.

our line was doing good till this one game, so just learn and move on. don't make this lost worse by losing the next game.

Exactly, also meaning come to the game with a second plan so when the 1st isn't working you can switch to B...

i am still very "PISSED" b'cos even with all the offensive plays by Baltimore they were able to put up only 16 and we couldn't score 17 on them, 17pts?

Also refs, F U - now i feel better...

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This doesn't change my insatiable desire to put more points on the board when we are ahead...or behind... in this case...:D...when I posted that I thought "oh boy coffeeman, is gonna have a gotcha moment"

We've lost to the Cowboys and the Ravens in a set up that hasn't been seen since 1975, I think I read. Its interesting we now expect the 49ers to win and in it seems like we've almost forgotten the past some?

What concerns me most is the Ravens exposed weaknesses the 49ers showed in the preseason and early games, we have to learn from this because the Rams could bring the same kind of pressure and did so against Brees. The issues are still there and can be exploited by the best teams in the NFL, which means we've got serious work to do for the playoffs.

Bingo

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was like a playoff game atmosphere on the road! Need to keep that in mind! Go 49ers!!:tsk:

It had the atmosphere no doubt, with the hype and the attention. Although in the playoffs the 49ers won't be on such a short week, and at least one game at home.

Well, the last time the 49ers lost this year... they came back and won 8 straight. The 8th game from here would be the Super Bowl :)