• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gaylord Perry has been called up

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An all time great story

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone asked him if he ever used foreign substances in his career and he said, "No. Everything was made in America."
Reminds me of the Bill (Spaceman) Lee quote from years ago when asked if he preferred artificial, or natural grass....
....."I never smoked artificial grass".

Last edited:

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of the Bill (Spaceman) Lee quote from years ago when asked if he preferred artificial, or natural grass....
....."I never smoked artificial grass".
That was Tug McGraw, but Bill Lee did say some interesting things.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was Tug McGraw, but Bill Lee did say some interesting things.
My all-time anti-hero sports achievement is when Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.

For me, for a performing-arts-collides-with-establishment historical moment, that's right up there close to Hendrix playing the Nation Anthem at Woodstock.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My all-time anti-hero sports achievement is when Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.

For me, for a performing-arts-collides-with-establishment historical moment, that's right up there close to Hendrix playing the Nation Anthem at Woodstock.
For all of his other issues, Jimi Hendrix had been in the military and would never say bad things about the country.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tripped on acid like 12-15 times (it's not like I kept a log), and done some things to test the limits, so to speak. Certainly nothing approaching this. Played pickup basketball, done some intense frisbee throwing in a crowded park, went on six-hour hikes through forests and state parks, drove from Santa Monica to Irvine and back for a Dead concert, played chess against the reigning US women's chess champion at the time to a draw (she was my neighbor at the time in the building where I lived). For me, at least, once I was over the initial "adjustment" period, it heightened my awareness and concentration - I was relaxed but nothing else mattered other than what I was doing, or even existed for that matter, including my sense of self.

All that to say that I could see how he did it. It's not at all like what someone who's never done acid would think it would be like.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tripped on acid like 12-15 times (it's not like I kept a log), and done some things to test the limits, so to speak. Certainly nothing approaching this. Played pickup basketball, done some intense frisbee throwing in a crowded park, went on six-hour hikes through forests and state parks, drove from Santa Monica to Irvine and back for a Dead concert, played chess against the reigning US women's chess champion at the time to a draw (she was my neighbor at the time in the building where I lived). For me, at least, once I was over the initial "adjustment" period, it heightened my awareness and concentration - I was relaxed but nothing else mattered other than what I was doing, or even existed for that matter, including my sense of self.

All that to say that I could see how he did it. It's not at all like what someone who's never done acid would think it would be like.
Did you watch the video? It's pretty amusing...

I did a lot of drugs from late high school, college especially (Berkeley, come on...), and in my 20s. LSD, MDMA (ecstasy/Molly), shrooms, coke, all the usual stuff, no needles, no crack, no meth. Probably did acid 100 times or more, but rarely strenuous stuff like you did. Some hikes, some movies, Disneyland, a ton of concerts (including a few Dead shows natch), to me is was about experiences, and being with others we'd have laughing fits for hours...

Kind of impressed by your story on this, you post like someone a lot more square.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the video? It's pretty amusing...

I did a lot of drugs from late high school, college especially (Berkeley, come on...), and in my 20s. LSD, MDMA (ecstasy/Molly), shrooms, coke, all the usual stuff, no needles, no crack, no meth. Probably did acid 100 times or more, but rarely strenuous stuff like you did. Some hikes, some movies, Disneyland, a ton of concerts (including a few Dead shows natch), to me is was about experiences, and being with others we'd have laughing fits for hours...

Kind of impressed by your story on this, you post like someone a lot more square.
I've seen the video before - good stuff.

I believe in pushing my boundaries. For me, it's the best way to learn. One should discover what the facts are, and base one's agenda on that, and not let one's agenda determine the facts. I'd rather find the truth myself than just be lazy and go with the crowd. That's why I'm what you would call "square". Being a conservative is anything but being "square". Facts, knowledge, truth, and wisdom are all very cool.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the video before - good stuff.

I believe in pushing my boundaries. For me, it's the best way to learn. One should discover what the facts are, and base one's agenda on that, and not let one's agenda determine the facts. I'd rather find the truth myself than just be lazy and go with the crowd. That's why I'm what you would call "square". Being a conservative is anything but being "square". Facts, knowledge, truth, and wisdom are all very cool.
I don't disagree but your path has taken you so deep into what feels wise to you that you've completely shut off your mind to other perspectives. The world is too interesting and complicated to boil down to easy political assertions. Stand your ground but stop projecting unapproachable anger to those who think differently about things.

Anyway no need to get on that tangent here, it's one of the coolest baseball stories ever this Ellis LSD no hitter. HOF moment from a non-HOFer.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but your path has taken you so deep into what feels wise to you that you've completely shut off your mind to other perspectives. The world is too interesting and complicated to boil down to easy political assertions. Stand your ground but stop projecting unapproachable anger to those who think differently about things.

Anyway no need to get on that tangent here, it's one of the coolest baseball stories ever this Ellis LSD no hitter. HOF moment from a non-HOFer.
I haven't shut my mind to other perspectives, other than to those which are obviously wrong. It's like I would never believe that 2+2 is anything other than four. I will never stop learning. Again, let the facts determine your agenda, not the other way around. Life will make much more sense to you that way.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took acid once and went to see Angel Heart (with Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet, DeNiro). 2/10 do not recommend doing that. Voodoo plus chicken blood plus acid is no bueno.

I had a calculus exam the next day. Aced it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, being on acid and in a confined space, however temporary, is not a good combination, at least for me.

Thoughts would quickly descend into negativity and paranoia.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, being on acid and in a confined space, however temporary, is not a good combination, at least for me.

Thoughts would quickly descend into negativity and paranoia.
Correct. Now mix in a vivid voodoo chicken killing scene.

Frankly, I'm surprised I survived.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. Now mix in a vivid voodoo chicken killing scene.

Frankly, I'm surprised I survived.
It starts to get OK when you realize the large bugs crawling on your skin aren't real. Sometimes you have to dive into the local park's lake past the "No Swimming" signs to get them off.

Just relating what happened to a friend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 rules I lived by in my trippin’ days…

1) Fire burns
2) Water drowns
3) Cars hurt

If you can keep those 3 rules active, you SHOULD be OK…