• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gaylord Perry has been called up

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of just 10 MLB pitchers all-time with 300 wins and 3,000 K's.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll never find out (in our earthly existence) whether he threw a spitter or not. Often accused, but I don't recall him ever actually getting busted for it.

I do remember the way he would use the index finger of his pitching hand to wipe the sweat from his forehead. like a wiper blade. Must have driven the other teams crazy.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll never find out (in our earthly existence) whether he threw a spitter or not. Often accused, but I don't recall him ever actually getting busted for it.

I do remember the way he would use the index finger of his pitching hand to wipe the sweat from his forehead. like a wiper blade. Must have driven the other teams crazy.
The article does reference his book.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article does reference his book.

Yes, but was he actually ever caught, thrown out of a game, or suspended?

He played a lot of psychological tricks, and yes, even wrote a book, but was he ever caught? Or did he just want his opponents to think he was doctoring the ball somehow? He "admitted" to it, yes, but was that part of the ploy?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just happened to be walking by the ball park when Perry's statue was unveiled at 2nd & King. They set a tent up for the VIPs and had maybe 50ish lawn chairs set up. I forget who was announcing, maybe Jon Miller, who said something to the effect...

'For this historic occasion, we've a gift for you to honor Gaylord's career. If you'd kindly look beneath you seat, you'll find it taped to the bottom of your seat.'

VIPs removed the tape, unwrapped the present, and hoisted up a tube of Vaseline. Pretty funny moment

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just happened to be walking by the ball park when Perry's statue was unveiled at 2nd & King. They set a tent up for the VIPs and had maybe 50ish lawn chairs set up. I forget who was announcing, maybe Jon Miller, who said something to the effect...

'For this historic occasion, we've a gift for you to honor Gaylord's career. If you'd kindly look beneath you seat, you'll find it taped to the bottom of your seat.'

VIPs removed the tape, unwrapped the present, and hoisted up a tube of Vaseline. Pretty funny moment
But nobody got thrown out...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He played a lot of psychological tricks, and yes, even wrote a book, but was he ever caught? Or did he just want his opponents to think he was doctoring the ball somehow? He "admitted" to it, yes, but was that part of the ploy?
Good point. And he is exhibit A as to why baseball is so hypocritical about keeping Barry Bonds out of the HOF. They had no issues letting Perry in when he wrote a whole book about cheating (okay, so there is more to it than that) but Bonds has to be villanized and used as a lesson to why players shouldn't cheat (with substances that were legal in baseball at the time, no less while Perry was doing something very much against the written rules). This double standard annoys me greatly.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. And he is exhibit A as to why baseball is so hypocritical about keeping Barry Bonds out of the HOF. They had no issues letting Perry in when he wrote a whole book about cheating (okay, so there is more to it than that) but Bonds has to be villanized and used as a lesson to why players shouldn't cheat (with substances that were legal in baseball at the time, no less while Perry was doing something very much against the written rules). This double standard annoys me greatly.
But Bonds was a Mr Meannie Butt.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. MLB Network gave one example when he was pitching for the Mariners, if memory serves. He had the ball checked after one inning and was warned. He struck a guy out a couple of innings later and the umpire didn't like the way the ball moved and told him to hit the showers. I don't believe there was any argument from anyone.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. MLB Network gave one example when he was pitching for the Mariners, if memory serves. He had the ball checked after one inning and was warned. He struck a guy out a couple of innings later and the umpire didn't like the way the ball moved and told him to hit the showers. I don't believe there was any argument from anyone.
What was he, 42 at the time?

EDIT: Oops, my bad. He was either 43 or 44 when he played for Seattle. He had pitched almost 5000 innings by then.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ratio3x2_1800.jpg

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was he, 42 at the time?

EDIT: Oops, my bad. He was either 43 or 44 when he played for Seattle. He had pitched almost 5000 innings by then.
I just saw the report again and he did it in 1982 with Seattle.
Also, Dave Duncan was his catcher in Cleveland one season. He said that Gaylord threw 1 spitter out of all of the pitches he threw in his 340+ innings that season.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw the report again and he did it in 1982 with Seattle.
Also, Dave Duncan was his catcher in Cleveland one season. He said that Gaylord threw 1 spitter out of all of the pitches he threw in his 340+ innings that season.
Just put the thought in the batters mind. LOL Good Plan. :pound:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put the thought in the batters mind. LOL Good Plan. :pound:
I think Bonds did much the same with steroids.

The opposing pitchers were probably more fearful from thinking he was doing roids than they were of him actually doing them.