• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary Bettman and NHL Unhappy Over Expansion Turnout.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it too ... i would say it might increase scoring ... thinner talent base ... more mistakes :noidea: ... but past history hasnt really shown that to be a given

more teams would certainly mean Luca Sbisa could find a recurring roster spot on a team ... oh wait :pout:
Quite the opposite for the most recent round of expansion really. The league added 9 teams in 9 or 10 years in the 90s and 2000, which corresponds directly to the dead puck era.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it too ... i would say it might increase scoring ... thinner talent base ... more mistakes :noidea: ... but past history hasnt really shown that to be a given

more teams would certainly mean Luca Sbisa could find a recurring roster spot on a team ... oh wait :pout:

Left Wing Lo-ock! *clap*clap*clapclapclap*

Thats OK, Jarred Tinordi is hoping they add 6 new teams.

Jared Boll is hoping for anything but contraction.

As a fan of a team that is building a pretty stocked system, the idea of expansion really pisses me off. No chance we're only gonna jettison chaff in a draft.

Meanwhile other teams who play fast and loose with money won't have anything but crap to lose.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny and hypocritical at the same time how people are knocking Bettman(he's not perfect by any means and everyone knows that) for the 2 million fee but if they didn't make that a requirement and some city who was only half serious about getting a team ended up applying and then getting a team and then 10 years later everyone is crying about wanting them to be contracted or relocated, what are you guys going to say then? Bettman doesn't want to have to relocate and he knows that there are certain places that definitely won't work and it has to be a sure thing - after dealing with Glendale for so long, I think Bettman realizes that he doesn't want a part deux with another city

The two million fee was to separate the serious bidders from the ones who thought they could get a team but didn't have the resources or the right situation - however I don't think Bettman and the league should have been angry about how Seattle and other cities didn't apply because if they're not that serious about doing so then I wouldn't take it seriously if I were the league, I'd just move on and focus on LV and Quebec City

If Seattle had the arena deal figured out and weren't stepping on their own dog shit trying to get a deal done then they would have put the two million on the table because they would have had more confidence in getting a deal done - it's clear that they knew that they couldn't get something done so what's the harm of not applying at this point - it's pretty simple, if you're not confident in getting a team, don't pay the two million - if you are then have at it

I don't think there are very many places left to expand, which makes expansion iffy to me - in a perfect world, they relocate the Coyotes to Seattle and end it there - no, the Panthers aren't relocating either so don't waste time bringing that old, tired subject onto the table for the thousandth time

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two million fee was to separate the serious bidders from the ones who thought they could get a team but didn't have the resources or the right situation - however I don't think Bettman and the league should have been angry about how Seattle and other cities didn't apply because if they're not that serious about doing so then I wouldn't take it seriously if I were the league, I'd just move on and focus on LV and Quebec City
The league wanted competition though. If they say that there are two slots up for grabs and they've got 4-6 bidders, they can pit them against each other to get those expansion fees higher. And get more money for the owners. Those ivory back scratchers aren't cheap you know.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league wanted competition though. If they say that there are two slots up for grabs and they've got 4-6 bidders, they can pit them against each other to get those expansion fees higher. And get more money for the owners. Those ivory back scratchers aren't cheap you know.

Well, if the league thought they were going to get competition, then their expectations were too high - realistically there was only going to be two or three teams max that were serious

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and Singapore would have put bids in.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who moves to the Western Conference once these new cities join up: Detroit or Columbus? :noidea:
I don't know if anybody does, right away. 15/17 is more balanced than 14/16 we have now.
I think the league will look at the groups who didn't want to pay 2 mil to come in third right now as relocation candidates. Then when a team needs to move they will look at balancing the conferences

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anybody does, right away. 15/17 is more balanced than 14/16 we have now.
I think the league will look at the groups who didn't want to pay 2 mil to come in third right now as relocation candidates. Then when a team needs to move they will look at balancing the conferences
The conferences need to be balanced yesterday. This is bush league shit right now.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conferences need to be balanced yesterday. This is bush league shit right now.

The league operated with unbalanced conferences for over a decade (those wild and wacky 80's)

/Of course, it's tough to balance out 21 teams (lol)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league operated with unbalanced conferences for over a decade (those wild and wacky 80's)

/Of course, it's tough to balance out 21 teams (lol)
Nobody cared then because the hockey was so damned much fun to watch.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who moves to the Western Conference once these new cities join up: Detroit or Columbus? :noidea:

This will all take care of itself in a few years when:
- Las Vegas is added to the Pacific.
- Quebec is added to the Atlantic.
- Coyotes move to Seattle when they've got an arena ready.
- Panthers move to Milwaukee and Central when they've got an arena ready. :amen:
- Columbus and Tampa swap divisions.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue remains the dilution of the talent pool...and of course the whole "we have multiple struggling teams, why keep them around" thing.