• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary Bettman and NHL Unhappy Over Expansion Turnout.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

by Andrew Thompson 3h ago

The National Hockey League seems to be underwhelmed by the amount of cities that applied for an expansion team. The NHL was hoping to see more than just the two cities that got their applications in before the deadline. Bettman and the league had extended sixteen invitations to various cities. While cities in Texas and Minnesota saying no couldn’t have been that much of a surprise, having fourteen out of sixteen invites pass must have thrown the league for a loop. It’s pretty safe to say that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is disappointed.

Of all the cities that turned the league down, it’s most surprising that Seattle couldn’t get a bid in on time. Gary Bettman had spent quite a bit of time in Seattle hoping to find a few investors who were willing to bring a team to Washington state.

There were at least three interested parties all pondering bringing hockey to Seattle. Victor Coleman had to back out at the last minute due to not being able to come to an agreement over a site for the new stadium. Connecticut investment banker Ray Bartoszek’s group wasn’t able to put a plan together that would have worked for Seattle either. (He might have had better luck if he had attempted to resurrect the Hartford Whalers franchise.)

There was almost an air of bitterness in the statement the league released yesterday.

“As previously announced, NHL expansion applications were made available to all potentially interested applicants on July 6. Since that date, we have received requests from, and responded by sending applications to, sixteen separate groups/individuals.

“The deadline for filing an application and proceeding in the NHL expansion process was last night. We can confirm that we have received two applications: one from Bill Foley for a franchise in Las Vegas, Nevada, and one from Quebecor for a franchise in Quebec City, Quebec.

Our purpose, in initiating the expansion process in the manner we did, was not only to explore the possibility of admitting new members to the NHL but also, at the outset, to set realistic guideposts to distinguish between bona fide expressions of interest (i.e., those which have at least substantial ownership capabilities and an arena or the realistic possibility of an arena) from those indications of potential interest which were, at best, merely hopes or aspirations. Apparently, only [potential Las Vegas owner Bill] Foley and Quebecor have the confidence in their ability to secure an arena and suitable ownership capability to move forward with this process.

We now intend to focus exclusively on the two expansion applications that have been submitted in accordance with the previously announced process. The process we have outlined for qualified applicants includes at least two more stages of documentation submission. We will provide no further updates until there is something substantive to announce.”

Both cities have a lot to offer the league, and in all likelihood they will both be awarded franchises. Quebec City will get a team due to history, tradition, Canadian love of the game, and it just makes plain sense. Las Vegas will get a team because Gary Bettman has a fetish about throwing money at hockey in the desert. Hopefully, Las Vegas won’t be a repeat of the Arizona disaster.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We discussed it a little bit in the Ongoing NHL thread, but Seattle is likely first in line for the Coyotes once that team folds up shop in three years time. Why throw your hat in the ring for an expansion team (not to mention $10 million ($2 million non-refundable)) when there's a good chance of an existing team moving to your city?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We discussed it a little bit in the Ongoing NHL thread, but Seattle is likely first in line for the Coyotes once that team folds up shop in three years time. Why throw your hat in the ring for an expansion team (not to mention $10 million ($2 million non-refundable)) when there's a good chance of an existing team moving to your city?
give quebec a team again

bring the whale back!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's too much to hope for Bettman to realize that maybe expansion right now isn't a good idea and decides to wait a few more years.

Quebec unbalances the conferences even more. Vegas is beating a dead desert horse.

Just. Say. No.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's too much to hope for Bettman to realize that maybe expansion right now isn't a good idea and decides to wait a few more years.

Quebec unbalances the conferences even more. Vegas is beating a dead desert horse.

Just. Say. No.
contract the panthers, bring the nord back

agreed, keep hockey out of deserts...i hate it in the south as it is.

to me, if you cant make ice naturally where you are, no hockey for you.

"the dubai water polo team is amazing"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just. Say. No.

Gary wants to line the pockets of 30 NHL owners, 1 billion dollars (hold that pinky finger to your lips when you say it) will do that quite nicely regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary wants to line the pockets of 30 NHL owners, 1 billion dollars (hold that pinky finger to your lips when you say it) will do that quite nicely regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.
I assume that wouldn't count as HRR either and wouldn't have to be passed on to the players?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I know why he's doing it.

Shame (or maybe a good thing) he hasn't yet hit on the idea of relocation fees.

Would Seattle have submitted a bid for 500m expansion if they'd have to shell out, say 200m to be considered for relocation?

I've given myself a headache.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expansion - bad idea.

Too many struggling teams already and the talent is spread thin. Translation: How are the Red Wings supposed to get good defensemen NOW with two more teams in the mix?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expansion - bad idea.

Too many struggling teams already and the talent is spread thin. Translation: How are the Red Wings supposed to get good defensemen NOW with two more teams in the mix?
dude

i'm playing on the bruins 3rd line D pairing this year.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were the 16 invite cities? Expansion is a money grab pure and simple. Relocate first and then contract even before expansion.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were the 16 invite cities? Expansion is a money grab pure and simple. Relocate first and then contract even before expansion.

3 different ownership groups who got invites were based out of Seattle

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winnipeg is hounding my agent trying to get me to fill in as their backup.
i still cant believe my bruins gave the sharks their new franchise goalie for a cup of hot water.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with 32 teams. I would just be far happier with the expansion if there were not a couple of really struggling franchises.

Im ok with it too ... i would say it might increase scoring ... thinner talent base ... more mistakes :noidea: ... but past history hasnt really shown that to be a given

more teams would certainly mean Luca Sbisa could find a recurring roster spot on a team ... oh wait :pout:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it too ... i would say it might increase scoring ... thinner talent base ... more mistakes :noidea: ... but past history hasnt really shown that to be a given

more teams would certainly mean Luca Sbisa could find a recurring roster spot on a team ... oh wait :pout:

Thats OK, Jarred Tinordi is hoping they add 6 new teams.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but how badly does he want QC to get a team again ??? :think:

i can see the press conference now

Bettman:

" I have something to announce ... I think youre all gonna wanna hear this ... I have put the expansion bid process on hold for 1 year ... Next season we will begin a new expansion application process and the expansion fee will be $600 million dollars for any city not named Las Vegas "